PDA

View Full Version : Black Chrome

LOAF
September 13th 2004, 15:41
Was wondering if anyone had tried this on there beetle. I am not there yet, but have been toying with the idea of Black Chroming my parts. I have a vert so there is a lot of chrome around the windows, and at first I wanted to PC the parts. Doing some research I came across the Black Chrome concept. I was thinking of doing Window trim, door handles, and anything else that was originally chromed. Maybe even the bumpers.

Not sure if it was an original idea, but figured I put it out there as a thought.

From what I understand it could be done to plastic.. so turn signals, and I can't remember if the headlight bezel was plastic or metal..

Alex

BWE
September 13th 2004, 21:43
I've been trying to figure a way to "black out" my chrome for a while now. Do you have any links to resources?
Cheers, Dave

SuperRSi
September 13th 2004, 21:57
I am torn down to the stage where I need to make the blacken the chrome decision real soon. I am leaning toward bead blasting and powdercoating black. My experience with black chrome is that as long as the car does not see much sunlight it will stay black and not fade out. Funny this is exactly what the powder coater is telling me about PCing them black. Any direct experience?

What about windows? Anyone thinking about getting black tinted glass cut and tempered? OK another thread, but?

Thanks,

Randy

LOAF
September 13th 2004, 22:28
Randy,

No real exerience, except a desire to try something different..

There are a bunch of different chroming options, besides the regular silver color.. I started researching this when I was looking at chroming plastic, like on headlights. Some of the Jap cars use a black chrome like finish, can't remember the color, and I wanted to dup that on my REX, then the idea hit me, of doing it actually to the vert instead of rechroming..

I was not aware of the sunlight issue, so I guess more studying is in order.. I will try to do some tomorrow at work :) and post..

Take care and good night :)

Gotta stop dreaming of the vert..

Alex

Vincent
September 14th 2004, 01:37
I think the color on the Japanes trim is usaly Gunmetal color like some of ther rims. That would look really good on my Silver GL I am building might even go with gunmetal aka black chrome Turbo twists to match the trim.

I will not have an issue with the turn signals mine are in the head lights, I always like that clean shaved curvy look oh yeah my fenders too. :laugh: