PDA

View Full Version : 944 mirrors...

boygenius
September 20th 2004, 20:48
I was thinking about getting some 944 mirrors for the bug. Can they be made to fit. Where they attach to the 944 body is it flat or curved. I eventualy want some nice 968 mirrors but since they are hard to find and 944 mirrors are cheaper I was going to use them to do all the fitting work. From what I understand the 968 mirrors are a direct replacement for the 944 mirrors so if I can make the 944 units fit the 968 mirrors should be a direct bolt on.

Vincent
September 21st 2004, 02:23
sounds like a good idea to me. Have you checked out http://www.silverstarrecycling.net/ they have many porsche parts from cars they part out.

starmember
September 21st 2004, 05:03
i think it wil fit.

zen
September 21st 2004, 08:27
i'll get some good close ups for you this afternoon. the problem will be getting the mirror level and still being able to mount it on the flat spot of the door.

boygenius
September 21st 2004, 23:02
i'll get some good close ups for you this afternoon. the problem will be getting the mirror level and still being able to mount it on the flat spot of the door.

Thanks Zen, It will all depend on how much you can angle the mirror up to correct for the difference in door angle.

Supa Ninja
September 21st 2004, 23:48
There is a older thread about this subject. Superman is right about needing the reinforcing plates that you will have to weld to the inside of the door skin. It's a lot of work, they weight a bit, the passenger side is nearly impossible to see out of, and they just don't look right on the bug imho. I have them on my bug and luckily i found a set of straight doors to replace mine that i butchered up for that experiment. I am leaning towards a set of CF motorcycle mirrors or those universal indy car style ones, CF of course.

Nick

Superman
September 29th 2004, 05:50
They can be made to fit but as Nick said there are problems. I too experimented with them on my 1303 but didn't like the look nor the lack of viewability on the passenger side. The mounting plates need to be welded in and the base of the mirror housing has to be reshaped to make them upright on a Bug and the end result is that you can't see the passenger side one.

boygenius
September 29th 2004, 22:39
Looks like I will just be using some motorcycle mirrors from work. I can get a nice CF set for about $50 to $80 dollars I think. The plus side is that they come with longer stalks so I should be able to see around my future 4.5" wider rear fenders. :D

Supa Ninja
September 30th 2004, 01:49
BG keep us informed on how you plan on doing it cause I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Those some fat fenders :eek: .

Nick

Superman
September 30th 2004, 02:05
These are too bling for my taste but do look good.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-7163/c-10101

Mikey
September 30th 2004, 12:44
I'm needing some Mirror ideas BG maybe you can help me? :rolleyes:

I would just take more time to really look, but if I get this body painted soon, I'll need to have the mirrors i'm going to use, or I might just be stuck with the stock mirror. :eek:

boygenius
September 30th 2004, 19:42
I was thinking of getting these mirrors with the 120mm (4.75") stems to space them out. The also sell an adapter plate so you can bolt the 1 bolt mirror to the adapter and them use the stock (for motorcycle) 2 bolts for added stability.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=155

Supa Ninja
October 1st 2004, 01:32
Lockhart-Phillips carbon leaves a lot to be desired from what I have heard. I do like the style of the mirrors. Are those mirrors convexed like the ones on my bike, you know, objects are closer then they appear?

boygenius
October 1st 2004, 19:24
I don't have any experiance with LP mirrors since I always replace broken mirrors with OEM units. They also make them in just plain black plastic which would be perfect for painting and since there is no mention of the mirrors being convex or not I would just assume they are standard flat glass.

boygenius
October 9th 2004, 20:13
I checked with the parts guys where I work and they told me that the mirrors won't pivot up enough to make the lens level to the ground. They would always be aiming at the ground. :( There goes that idea. :(