PDA

View Full Version : Help needed picking a color...

Mikey
September 25th 2004, 00:33
I just bought a project Ghia. It's a '64 body on a '74 pan.

I'm needing some color Ideas, turn signal ideas, and mirror ideas. I don't like the bullet turn signals. Or the Mirror that's on it.

I'm looking for something of a bright color, but I'm looking for options. :cool: I have 1 option a Green Apple. Original vw paint color in the mid 70's.

vujade
September 25th 2004, 03:10
my favorite is ravenna green
http://members.aol.com/ghiapet72/mel2.jpg

then theres cliff green
http://members.aol.com/ghiapet72/cliff.jpg

and finally willow green
http://members.aol.com/ghiapet72/willow.jpg

NO_H2O
September 25th 2004, 08:05
If you want a bright green, try the 70 MOPAR Sub-Lime :cool: now that is bright.

zen
September 25th 2004, 17:06
i take it you want green? :D british racing green is one of the few i like. that or it needs to be an obnoxiously bright kind of green. :agree:

move the turns to the bumper. i also saw some nice mirrors on a GL Ghia that is in town here. i will see if i can hunt down the make.

Mikey
September 25th 2004, 17:18
Maybe I wasn't clear at first, 1 option is a Apple Green. but I'm looking for ANY color option at all! not just green. I thought since I'm short on ideas, surely I can get some Ideas here. Like if you could paint your car over again or your other choices when you built your GL. that type of thing. or just favorite colors... I want a strong color, not blinding.

Basicly just ideas. because i'm short on Ideas. The same with the Mirror and Turn signals. Thanks for the sugjestions though. :cool:

zen
September 25th 2004, 17:25
loved that blue PT Cruiser color vujade had on his bug. i think it would translate well to a Ghia. Porsche Blood/Speed yellow is one of my favorites. Bahama Yellow (which is actually orangy) is another favorite. Porsche has some of the wildest and most tasteful colors out there. Corvettes have some great colors too. oh, and dove blue like panelfantastics is also one of my tops.

vujade
September 25th 2004, 18:18
Here is a list of my favorite colours:

PT Cruiser Electric Blue Pearl
Porsche Blood Yellow
Porsche Blood Orange
350Z Daytona Blue
1977 Corvette Yellow

these a but of a few of the colors I like...
Im also partial to Magenta to, but that was more popular in the 80s :D

Vincent
September 25th 2004, 20:01
hmm is it limited to bright colors? are you going with a solid color or how about metalic. I think the PT cruzer blue would look cool. I think it would be better if you go with candy apple blue. That is a Gold base with a transparent blue over it then clear coat. You can also do the same over a silver base. It will look almost like the blue of Anodized blue aluminum. Viper Blue is also very cool if your are in to blue. I am painting my bug silver so go figure

Mikey
September 25th 2004, 21:58
I managed to upload a picture to some website, I don't know what. Either way, It's uploaded so we can see the color I'm looking at...

Picture of the car (http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=257098&img=Mike.jpg)

It's from august 2002 of Vwtrends page 56. the pictures are better in the magizine. :D I tried to post on here, but I don't know how :rolleyes: Hope the link works.

vujade
September 25th 2004, 22:18
Mikey

thats a great color... that car was in VWtrends last year.
I remember it was from France :agree:

Vincent
September 25th 2004, 23:30
you know mike that is the same color as the guys nose in your avatar :) great color :D

boygenius
September 26th 2004, 23:12
Mike, that color green with some gold BBS rims would look awesome. There is a picture of a green super with gold BBS rims that keeps making me think of changing my color choice for my car from red to green, but the "look" wouldn't be right with my silver rims.

Mikey
September 29th 2004, 15:09
I got a color. :cool: But I still need some ideas on Mirrors. I'd like to have driver and passenger but I'd be happy with just a good looking driver side mirror.

Door handles too, but it would be easier to just shave them and use electric. More weight and a little more complicated. but it would be easier because I can't find handles.

Thanks...

Mikey
November 16th 2004, 17:33
I found the color I want, but my painter went to the paint store and they said they can't get that color. I wasn't there, but he said something about they said it was a european color and they can't make it or something like that, they said I'd have to have someone in europe make it and send it to me :rolleyes: WTF is up with that? :mad:

Has anyone heard of this at all? Just wondering seems like all it takes is mixing certain amounts of paint to make my color. How can they not be able to reproduce it? :help: :shrug:

NO_H2O
November 16th 2004, 23:12
sounds like your body man needs to try another paint store.

vujade
November 17th 2004, 23:27
Whatever you do Mikey, dont paint it PT Cruiser Electric Blue Pearl, because I am probably gonna paint my next GL that color again seeing as I only got to enjoy my last GL a short while. I wouldnt want to of us in the club with the exact same blue if at all possible..... :D

justdubbin
November 18th 2004, 20:52
I found the color I want, but my painter went to the paint store and they said they can't get that color. I wasn't there, but he said something about they said it was a european color and they can't make it or something like that, they said I'd have to have someone in europe make it and send it to me :rolleyes: WTF is up with that? :mad:

Has anyone heard of this at all? Just wondering seems like all it takes is mixing certain amounts of paint to make my color. How can they not be able to reproduce it? :help: :shrug:

The only way I can see this being correct is that the combination of colours needed to make your colour are European only (I take it's a VW or other European car companys colour) but I would of thought PPG or ICI would be able to sort this for you, when I used to paint if we had a US or Austrailian car in we would have to contact the paint manufacture for a paint formulation.

Maybe try some of the paint companies web sites?

Rob.

zen
November 18th 2004, 21:27
call Charles at Rusty Restos (http://www.rustyrestos.com) if you need to. i'm sure he will be happy to give you some advise. great guy. he is the one that did my car and quite a few VWTrends cars.

Mikey
November 18th 2004, 22:31
I found the PPG code for Apple Green L64M, and my painter went to the paint store and found out he can get that paint but, yes there HAS to be a but, :rolleyes: I can Only buy the thinner and hardener for that color in bulk. So to avoid buying too much or too little. I had to change the color, it won't be "apple green" but it will be close. ;)

The bulk suggest to me it's used by Fedex or someone with green paint in their logos, cars, motor bikes...

Zen, I met Charles at Circle Yer Wagons, and saw him again at Bug Jam. He seems like a good guy to me but I think we have it figured out now. :)

NO_H2O
November 19th 2004, 09:06
Charels is the green expert :laugh:

MdR
December 1st 2004, 13:37
I know I'm late to this party but I suggest Porsche Viper Green. Awesome :D

Mikey
December 1st 2004, 19:44
I know I'm late to this party but I suggest Porsche Viper Green. Awesome :D

Good sugjestion, but I think the paint is bought, but It's all good, My friend painted his stock '52 Switter '02 Viper Red, and it's BRIGHT. :cool: You need sun glasses to look at it.

You're building a split, That is Awesome :D we're building a '47 split now that's a Basket Case. :rolleyes: The crazy things people will do for old cars.

MdR
December 2nd 2004, 05:24
My split is a '51 & it'll be black, unless I choose deep burgundy or .... :laugh:

Steve C
December 2nd 2004, 08:59
Hi

Im pretty sure Im painting my next bug VW Viper green metalic.

Steve

http://www.highspeeddubbin.com/waterfest2003/pics/DSC00094.jpg

Mikey
December 2nd 2004, 15:46
Hi

Im pretty sure Im painting my next bug VW Viper green metalic.

:eek: WOW!!! I already have the paint. :bawling:

We just got done building a '51 and it was a basket case too. :laugh: It was painted a kind of teal green, very nice color. But the '47 will be a mat-black, plane jane. We pulled the windows out of the '47 and I kid you not, there are holes under all the window rubber except 1 of the rear windows. It is rotted almost all the way across the dash. :rolleyes: If it was anything other than a split it would be trown away.

MdR
December 3rd 2004, 05:17
:eek:
A '47, that should be saved.
Give it a roof chop, cut out the rear window & b pillars & smooth the dash - Proper Bo' Custom :bawling:

Mikey
December 3rd 2004, 09:40
:eek:
A '47, that should be saved.
Give it a roof chop, cut out the rear window & b pillars & smooth the dash - Proper Bo' Custom :bawling:

That's what I said, But it's not my decision. :laugh: :Joke:

About the only thing good about it is the rear window, dash, and package tray. Everything else will need work. :rolleyes:

Bugscandrift
December 6th 2004, 22:42
As for the color, i think Plum Crazy Purple would look awesome. As would Grabber Blue. I think a split window smoothed in would also look awesome. Cant wait to see pics of it though.

NO_H2O
December 7th 2004, 09:02
As for the color, i think Plum Crazy Purple would look awesome. As would Grabber Blue. I think a split window smoothed in would also look awesome. Cant wait to see pics of it though.
Classic old MOPAR colors are cool :cool:
who said auto design engineers don't smoke weed. I know them MOPAR engineers did back then. :rolleyes: