PDA

View Full Version : Body mod suggestions

rustbucket
October 1st 2004, 17:59
Hey guys,
New to the forum, get around to introducing myself one of these afternoons. I know of a couple of you guys from STF, but anyway...

Shipped my car off to the body shop today (FINALLY, been waiting 3 years), and I'm wondering what mods I should have them do while there at it. My goal is a GL but a little old school (I'll retain the 15" Fuchs for now). I've already tossed around the idea of shaving the turn signals and the antenna hole. And I'm shaving the vents (it's a 72). What else?

BTW- Is the a rat german look. :D I'm leaving it satin black for now to save for other mods.

David Howard down in Deland,FL is doing the work. Any feedback on him? Seems like a super nice guy, and his work looks excellent.

Thanks guys
Don

Bill K.
October 2nd 2004, 12:03
Welcome Don.

I think shaving the dash gives the car a retro look. I filled the dash vent holes, O-sphit handle, and ash tray. I moved the light, wiper, emergency switches to where the ash tray was. I kept the stereo hole, but opened it up a little for DIN size. The gauges are in a custom insert the same size as the stock recess.

I axed the fresh air box and filled the hood vent -- kept the wing windows. With the chrome strip, VW logo, and wiper washer nozzle gone the front looks real clean.

Another clean up item is the lisense plate cover -- filled the holes and moved the lisense plate to the bumper. Used LED bolt lights to light the plate. Also, filled the volkswagen logo holes from the deck lid.

Depending on your exhaust plans you could fill the pee shooter slots in the rear apron.

Chrome trim stipes -- removed and filled.

Antenna hole -- yes, use a "stealth" internal antenna mounted to rear glass.

Front turn signals -- yes, move to bumper and consider New Beetle side markers (not very ratty tho).

Here pictures (http://www.kanz.org/vw/Fresh%20paint/) of my work in progress (wider fenders w/o spacers yet).

I think shaved door handles, hinges, and rain gutter look sweet too.

Obviously, make sure your body man welds up the fill spots (vs hack bondo globs). Also, now is the time to deal with the rust -- check heater channels, door bottoms, quarter panel bottoms, floor pans, etc. and deal with it now (unless you're going for a GL rust bucket look :D).

I was amazed at how much rust was under the hood/deck seal channels. I removed the channels and used the Mexican seals that clip onto the hood/deck lid rim -- cleans up the look of the engine bay without the rubber strip.

Enjoy,
Bill

rustbucket
October 2nd 2004, 14:06
I think I'm going to leave the dash stock for now. I have opened up for a new radio. Probably add a few gauges. I'm not sure about the fresh air box area either. I'd like to modify a little, but leave the option to go back stock later. Not that I will, but I'd like to think I can.

I'm shaving all the trim and badges. Hadn't thought about the license plate. I've got XM, so no need for the ant. As for the door handles and such, I'll probably just powder coat them as well as the window frames.

Exhaust will stay stock for now. I'm saving for a T4, so no need to modify until I get there.

As for the rest of the body, it's in the shop for complete tear down and rebuild. Getting all of the rust and primered. I guess that's it for the mods, but I like the ideas. Something to ponder while I'm waiting.

zen
October 3rd 2004, 12:12
sounds like you are on a good path. no real rules to this. trim removal is relatively standard though. main thing is, pick a theme (look) for your car and stick to it. be consistent throughout the car. if staying subtle with few mods, try to stay that way on the outside and inside.

imo, if you are going rat, the trim should all go. dash would stay fairly stock, but lose any trim again. gauge upgrrade is still good.

rustbucket
October 3rd 2004, 13:59
Only going rat for a while. Mainly because I haven't decided on a color, and want to get the engine built before I paint. So it'll be a year or two before it's painted. I plan on a monochromatic scheme in line with most GL's.

As for the interior, I want subtle, but some modern amenities such as temp guages and stereo etc. Not over the top, but enough that I can enjoy the car and be comfy.

hybrid_john
October 4th 2004, 11:59
you have the basics covered man stick with the smooth clean mods that you've got in mind and your car will turn out smooth and clean if carried through out the whole car like zen said

As for the interior, are you planning on going fast in your car? If so you might wanna think about a four poin roll cage, very subtl and maybe a racing harness for added safety, you don't need to put racing buckets in to have the harness so it should still remain fairly comfy :D

John