PDA

View Full Version : I tried a new High Build Primer

NO_H2O
October 7th 2004, 19:09
I tried a new High Build primer from Evercoat called Slick Sand. I don't know how long it has been around but it kicks @$$ and it is priced right. It builds nice and thick and almost no shrinkage. I'm told it will cure out very hard. In fact I was told to have all blocking and sanding done within days of shooting or it will take 4 times as long to do.
Anyone else tried this stuff?

vdubvr6
October 7th 2004, 20:38
where did you get it? is it in a spray can or in a qt/gal? priced right!? how much? thanks man! :cool:

NO_H2O
October 8th 2004, 00:24
I got it at an automitive paint store. It was $54 for a gal. with hardner and I used PPG Omni reducer. So with Primer, reducer, hardner, strainers, a 1000 foot roll of 2 foot wide masking paper and stir sicks, I was out the door for $118 and covered the whole car with 2-3 thick coats of high build. It blocked out smooth and ready for paint.

vdubvr6
October 8th 2004, 15:04
cool! that's not too bad! i'm going the cheapest route possible the first time around! that way i can learn from my mistakes and not waste money! ;) another reason i'm going to go cheap is cause i'm gonna have a rat-look for a couple of yrs until i can get my entire eng, wiring, and interior done; then go back to the outside - replace fenders, decklid, lights and what not! then more body work and a beautiful mid nite metallic blue paint will be applied! :cool:

NO_H2O
October 8th 2004, 16:39
For a high build primer that is compatable with a modern paint that is cheap. A lot of modern paint will not lay down right over laquer base primers. It would realy suck to have all your bodywork done and primed, then shoot $180 worth of paint on the car and have it full of fish-eyes and look like @$$. A good high build will save you alot of time and $$$$. It will fill in many small chips and low areas. I could have spent days working on small stuff that are smooth and strait now. It was worth every dime and then some. You can spend alot more on a good primer but this works just as well.

vdubvr6
October 8th 2004, 19:03
i'm not really looking for a high build primer right now! remember i said i was going back to it in a few yrs! ;) i just don't want to be driving around a ugly car that's half rusted and half light blue for the next 2 or 3 yrs! i will deffinatly do it all the right way later! when i say cheap, i'm talking about puttin normal primer on the sanded old rust spots and then a light flat black coat over the entire car temporarily for a few yrs! i've already bought the paint and primer and havn't spent more than $15! when i said cheap, i meant cheap! :cool:

NO_H2O
October 8th 2004, 20:19
Your car sounds like the one I drive to work and back, 71 standard, light blue/rust/primer.

vdubvr6
October 12th 2004, 09:34
Your car sounds like the one I drive to work and back, 71 standard, light blue/rust/primer.
yeah that's the one! ;) except now; (as of yesterday) it doesn't run anymore! :mad: so i have to bum a ride to work now untill i fix it. the engine siezed up on the way to start the CHEAP paint job! :bawling: soooooooo, i didn't get the car paint started! oh,well! until it's next issue! :cool:

NO_H2O
October 12th 2004, 12:11
I just stuck the engine I took out of my black super into the beater bug so it is running good for now. Sorry to hear that you had that set-back. You sould be able to find a used 1600 cheap to stuff in it. That will get you own the road for a while.