PDA

View Full Version : frame off; help

keith808
October 11th 2004, 18:18
I tried searching for the answer, but need help.
I will be removing body from chasis this weekend on 69 squareback. I have read that the body might bend or twist and will not line back up later. I also read that welding a bar to A abd B pilar will stop this. So my question is where exactly(upper lower by the rocker or roof) and what direction on the pilars(front back / driver to passenger)?
Can anyone help with specifics??????
Or is there a better way?
Mahalo from Hawaii>>>>>>>
Keith

BWE
October 11th 2004, 20:47
Hello Keith, I have no specific info for a squareback, but for a beetle the body will be ok as long as the heater channels are solid (and you keep the body supported square). I have seen bracing welded in when the heater channels are holey. Usually the bracing goes across the door opening (maybe 4" up) with at least one diagonal brace (ie: driver's B pillar to passenger's A pillar). When I lifted my body ('70 standard bug) the heater channels were ok, but the drivers door still stuck alittle, so maybe bracing is a good idea anyways!
Good luck!
Dave

keith808
October 12th 2004, 14:16
Mahalo for the tips. I have had mixed responses on other forums. Some yes some no. But I think I will play it safe and at least do a couple. Better to be safe then sorry.
Aloha,
Keith

vujade
October 12th 2004, 14:24
Keith, is that you broduh? :confused:

its me Joe :D

keith808
October 26th 2004, 19:39
Yeh Joe,
Whats up? I was wondering when you would figure it out.
I jeard the surfs been good over there?
Keith