PDA

View Full Version : VW Aircooled racing... What are the diff classes?

Ephry73
October 9th 2002, 18:12
just trying to get a feel for what the different racing classes are for VW Beetles and other Aircooled VW's.

Thanks,

E

kdanie
October 15th 2002, 17:48
Drag racing? Road racing? Auto X? Pick your poision.....For road racing or auto X check with the SCCA. Most GL type 1s do not fit comfortably into a class due to the extent of the modifications done to them. It takes a stout car to compete in the upper classes that allow more modifications.
A good way to go for seat time at a road course is "open track events". You pay your money (usually a couple hundred $$), get a tech inspection to ensure your car is safe, you are assigned an instructor (if you have little experience) and away you go for several hours of seat time, usually in 20-30 minute runs. Check your local road course for info. I live near Sears Point in northern CA, they are booked all year with no open track events, Thunder Hill is a couple hours away near Sacramento and has a couple events each month.
If you join a Porsche club you may be able to run with them if they have auto X or track events. I know Jak from Austailia does this and runs very well against them.
Your results may vary.
ken

Ephry73
October 23rd 2002, 17:49
Might have to run and join a club. I will eventualy love to build an engine with the 102x71mm combo.

So what :silly: other areas of racing ?

Massive Type IV
October 23rd 2002, 20:28
102x71 is my next engine combo for testing....I'll be getting rid of the stock 2.0 rods and journals for a better rod ratio..

Ephry73
October 24th 2002, 16:51
Jake, you'the',man!

I have been thinking about somethinglike that for a while, though my budget only allows for so much. i guess in an engine like that the rod ratio plays a much more important role than with the other engines. I was even looking at the cranks offered by John @ Aircooled.net. Seems to me that using a 71mm crank with t1 hournals and counterweights would bery interesting, specially with the availability of rods for the t1 engine....

I was even looking at using a crank such as that with a 101mm piston/cylinder to get a 2275cc engine. Different stroke and maybe even torquey...
Cannot wait to put the money together for the bigger engine. For now, I'm very happy with the 1.7 I put together, which you helped me a lot with.

Ephry

super vw
October 24th 2002, 21:35
Not to brag or anything (ok i am :D) but my Father teaches for the PCA (Porsche club of america). when i get my beetle done i hope to take it to the track and have some fun, maybe even Auto Cross it :D
I am just about to get an 86 Audi 4000 Quattro-s for the winter so i hope to spend much of the winter (6 months of snow on the ground) fixing/building my 74 Super... so far it runs but needs some TLC on the body and floor pans.

Later
Jonathan

Pillow
November 13th 2002, 15:09
By far the easiest way to go racing on the cheap is SCCA auto-x. Just pass tech (I have seen some real turds on the track so it is easy) and pay $25 then you are rolling! They supply a helmet usually, but it is better to buy your own. I think the helmet standard is SA2000 or SA95 these days? Go to a motorcycle shop or race shop and they will know what you need.

If your car does not barf fluids it can race.

Once you get on the real tracks then a real tech check takes place way before the event and you pay $ to play. Usually a couple c-notes.

Check out worldcarz.com they are reasonable and you run on NASCARish tracks with some chicanes (sp) put in... Pretty cool stuff, but they run FAST. Not sure if this is a good GL kind of event.