PDA

View Full Version : hurst shifter

oasis
November 25th 2004, 15:16
I have an opportunity to purchase a Hurst shifter for my 1302. What concerns or questions should I have in buying a used one? If I get it, should I install it in my stock drivetrain and enjoy it for a year or two, or should I just wait and use it when I get the Type IV and upgraded tranny?

NO_H2O
November 25th 2004, 15:39
Hell install it. It will not have to come out for a trans. change.
As for buying a used one, just check to make sure it isn't sloppy.

beetle1303
November 25th 2004, 23:02
check it for play
ie the spring should really hard and keeping the lever alined at the imaginary 3rd and 4th line
the reverse ring should work freely as well.

just install it straight away. there isnt anything to make you feel better while you re waiting for another engine
something to consider is getting a urethane shifter coupling kit and replace the old rubber one. believe me it will improve your mood...

Chris

oasis
November 29th 2004, 09:32
I found out over the weekend two significant details about this Hurst shifter. The good: It's never been installed. The bad (my opinion only): It is the T-shifter type.

What do you think? Also, can the T-handle be removed and replaced by a knob?

(Yeah, I know I should have asked. I brain-cramped. It just didn't dawn on me at the time because I thought all Hurst shifters for VWs were round-knobbed with an O-ring lock-out. I did leave the door open, though.)

boygenius
November 29th 2004, 11:52
I liked my "T" handled shifter... Once I got used to it I actually liked it better then the normal shifter handle. If you change your knob you might have some issues with trying to get it into reverse due to the reverse lockout mechanism...

oasis
November 29th 2004, 13:52
Others have told me the same thing ... well, things -- liking it better and reversing issues. I'm very tempted since it's new (and I never see them on eBay for VWs unless they're well worn or needing something).

Curious, though -- why did you say "liked" -- as in past tense?

boygenius
November 29th 2004, 19:20
Others have told me the same thing ... well, things -- liking it better and reversing issues. I'm very tempted since it's new (and I never see them on eBay for VWs unless they're well worn or needing something).

Curious, though -- why did you say "liked" -- as in past tense?

I am right in the middle of restoring my car now and I haven't been able to drive it some time. My shifter is sitting in a box in my garage right now. :(
When I get the car running I will like it again. :D

oasis
November 30th 2004, 02:33
Stupid me. :rolleyes: I should've known that.

oasis
December 2nd 2004, 18:15
From stupid me to unobservant me ... the T-shifter doesn't have a push-button reverse lock-out. I guess I would have to use it like the stock one in the sense I have to push down and shift left, then back for reverse.

Should this be an issue?

oasis
December 7th 2004, 16:40
Anyone with an opinion on a Hurst shifter without a reverse lockout, please?

volksdragon
December 8th 2004, 00:41
if it's the hurst with the ball knob and pistol grip lock out, i have it and i love it.
seems to shorten the shift not huge amounts but it definitly seems shorter.

and i hated having to push down on the shifter for reverse. the pistol grip makes it much more enjoyable.

may i suggest while you in there changing the shifter you should do the shaft bushing as well ( if you haven't already). it will get rid of alot of the shifter slop.

oasis
December 8th 2004, 10:24
if it's the hurst with the ball knob and pistol grip lock out
No, it's not. Those are the kind I see for sale in used condition. This one has a T-handle, but no button for the reverse lockout. I assume one must achieve reverse the old-fashioned way.

may i suggest while you in there changing the shifter you should do the shaft bushing as well ( if you haven't already). it will get rid of alot of the shifter slop.
I assume the shaft bushing is not part of the shifter itself, so I will obtain this item if I go with the shifter. (If it's part of the shifter, I shouldn't have to worry since it's a new item.

volksdragon
December 8th 2004, 11:33
the bushing is on the shift rod right under and a bit behind the place where the shifter goes into the rod.