PDA

View Full Version : 944 IRS coil-overs

kiwivw
October 12th 2002, 14:48
Hi All,

I've been looking for a while now for coil-over for the 951 rear trailing arms i have. I would really like to have a set that has a helper spring setup, since i will be removing the torsion bars as part fo the changes needed to install a 915 trans (cutting through the middle section of the torsion tube).

Any suggestions?
I notice Alex uses the Bilstein/Eibach coilovers, with what appear to be helper springs.

Any help would be great.
Cheers
Craig

Alex
October 12th 2002, 15:32
I would try to get a set that was made for a beetle because of of the differences in weight and weight distribution between Bug and Porsche.
There are two companies in Germany that make coilovers....Remmele and K.A.W.
http://www.fahrwerke.de/artikel/ is for K.A.W. and Eddy Remmele is still working on his website. If you are in the US you have to ask aircooled.net for the Remmele ones. If you are not you can either ask teh vendors themself or ask Oliver from Power Tuning Parts to help you. Also make sure that if you get a set to get longer bolts for the 951 arms. You will have a hard time finding those bolts in a not metric country. I forgot what the pitch is but I think it was 1.25 and not the bigger 1.5 one. Check on that though.

Alex

kiwivw
October 14th 2002, 14:06
Thanks Alex..
Where did you get your setup from.
My problem is going to be finding someone that can help with a setup for a VW with a 915 trans and WRX motor ~ approx 100-200 lbs heavier that stock. Plus 10-11Inch rear tires.

BTW: Yes i am in the states.
Cheers
Craig

Alex
October 14th 2002, 14:26
I got mine from Tafel in Germany but he got them from Remmele.

I guess with the extra weight you have to change the springs then. Not sure who could help you with that.

Alex

ricola
October 15th 2002, 04:36
The set-up you have planned sounds identical to what I have!
I used AVO coil-over shocks with, I think, 350lb springs. They are a bit close to being coil-bound for my liking but support the car OK.
If I were you I'd fabricate something like that blue Jap racer has in the new feature article using 2.25" dampers (they won't fit inside the stock trailing arm lower bracket).

Rich

DORIGTT
October 16th 2002, 04:03
Hey Ricola,

What do you mean by coil bind? Are the springs too short?

ricola
October 16th 2002, 11:29
Yes, but as I have an early pan the trailing arm can't go further up anyway so I am stuck with what I have. If I could go lower, it would be a problem and I'd need longer springs

Rich