PDA

View Full Version : Got my LED dash lights

NO_H2O
December 3rd 2004, 21:25
I got my replacement/plug-n-play bulbs for my 914 guages and small VDO guages from www.superbrightleds.com . It took 15 min to swap them out and 45 min. to sit and listen to a cd and look at them. :laugh:
The BA7s is a direct replacement for the standard old Porsche/VW guage light and the 74 is the small VDO wedge type.
I went with red because that is the only other color other than black and silver on my car.
Sweet and eazy and only cost me $11 plus shipping ($6) to do a 914 3 guage set and 5 small VDO guages. :agree:

Supa Ninja
December 3rd 2004, 22:33
Do we get to see some pics? :eek: Me likes LED's!

NO_H2O
December 3rd 2004, 23:58
I'll work on it.

oasis
December 4th 2004, 02:58
It took 15 min to swap them out and 45 min. to sit and listen to a cd and look at them. :laugh:
That's so funny. That would be me, too. I second that pic request. I'm a long way from doing anything with my dash, but I'm a-lurkin'.

NO_H2O
December 4th 2004, 09:22
It was time for a rest. I spent the day working on my son's car, pulled the old dash, cut out the spedo area for a 914 guage set and installing a new dash and all the guages. I wired guages untill I ran out of light, came in the house and found the package and had to make the swap. I have to go back to work tonight but I will try to get some pix when the sun goes down.

NO_H2O
December 4th 2004, 16:02
I tried to take some pix but they didn't come out. Dash lights only are too dark. Add enough light to get a good pic and you can't see the LEDs. :confused:

Supa Ninja
December 6th 2004, 13:26
That happened to me when i was tring to take some pics too, i thought it was me or my photo gear.

NO_H2O
December 6th 2004, 16:19
I could do it with my 35mm SRL but I'm not as up to speed with my dig. camera.

CompuDJ
December 15th 2004, 08:41
waiting for the pics :)

NO_H2O
December 15th 2004, 08:45
If I could figure out how to get the digi. camera to hold a longer exposure, I would post some but they just do not come out good with the digital camera.

SilverBullet
January 6th 2005, 22:23
Got the leds from superbrightleds and fitted to mt speedo but it came out very dim! Tried on my friends 914 gauges on his bug also dim. Any way of brightening the light? :(

NO_H2O
January 6th 2005, 23:36
My small gauges are brighter than the 914 gauges I thought they seemed dim too but driving at night they seem to be just right. What color did you get, mine are red.

Kafer_Mike
January 6th 2005, 23:41
I spoke with a guy at AutoMeter and they now offer a variety of color LED replacements bulbs for their gauges. Just in time for the full set of AutoMeter Silver Ultra-Lite that Santa brought me... :D :agree:

SilverBullet
January 8th 2005, 12:30
Its white, I'll try other colours. The furl tank gauge area is the brightest the rest almost imposible to see the numbers. :(

NO_H2O
January 8th 2005, 15:28
I think it may be due to the depth of the gauges. I thought the standard bulbs were dim also. The next time I have the guages out I think I pop them apart and paint the inside of the housings white.

eisblau
February 17th 2005, 14:42
waiting for the pics :)

May be this picture will help you! I replaced the bulbs with led's and a resistor by myself.

Norbert

Supa Ninja
February 17th 2005, 16:51
Norbert, on those gauges are the white marking ones or the yellow? With the little research I did I found out the blue didn't work very good on the yellow marked 944 gauges but the amber LED worked awesome.

Nick

edit: Those gauges turned out great by the way :D

eisblau
February 18th 2005, 23:55
They all got white markings. I've chosen blue, because the color of my bug was also blue... :)

Norbert