PDA

View Full Version : GermanLook.com T-shirts

zen
December 19th 2004, 00:16
Would like some feedback from you guys. I need honesty since this involves some cash layout on my part. I want to get some merchandise going so you guys can show some GL pride.

I am going to do a run of GermanLook.com T-shirts. Assume the following for the questions below, but feel free to provide other feedback as well. T-Shirts would be $17-$20 including shipping (may be slightly higher for outside North America). Heavy weight, high-quality 100% cotton (or may be 90% cotton, 10% poly depending on color I select) silkscreened colors. No cheap stuff. Sport gray (mid-tone gray with fleck pattern like an ash gray) shirt with navy blue GermanLook.com logo across the chest. No other print (to keep it simple and appealing to all).

Here is an example of what it would look like as it stands now...
http://www.germanlook.com/Images/gllogoexample.jpg

i need to know:

Would you buy a GermanLook.com T-shirt?
What size (so I can get an idea of the spread I will need)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

volksdragon
December 19th 2004, 00:50
i would buy 2 and be an xl or 2xl :D

and it's a great idea :agree:
which logo / font where you thinking of?

doesn't matter i'd still by one i'm just curious

zen
December 19th 2004, 01:14
which logo / font where you thinking of?

doesn't matter i'd still by one i'm just curious

added above.

zen
December 19th 2004, 01:17
added above.

btw, i played with some taglines (i.e. "Pissing off the Purists"), but wasn't happy with any and didn't think the shirts would be as univerally appealing. if there is a concensus on a tag line being wanted on there, throw some out and i will pick one. the winner gets a free shirt and 15 minutes of fame.

Supa Ninja
December 19th 2004, 04:06
How bout

German Look...a sports car in sheeps clothing

or

German Look...the total package

or

German Look...when going in a straight line is just not enough

or

just have a picture of a road sign for curves ahead but with a lot of twisties and a GL parked in front of it.

thats a couple of ideas

NO_H2O
December 19th 2004, 04:24
I want a large :agree:

boygenius
December 19th 2004, 09:39
I will take an X-large. :agree:

super vw
December 19th 2004, 16:47
I will buy one, i would need a Large.
Would there be an option of a different color... like black :D?

For a tag line.

- "More than just an ordinary Volkswagen"
- "Exelence"

I do like your (Zen) idea for a tag like "Pissing off the purists".

Jonathan

Supa Ninja
December 19th 2004, 19:58
I'm with Jonathan, white or ash grey is nice but black is better. I'll want a 2XL as well. "Pissing off the Purists" is good stuff.

rustbucket
December 19th 2004, 20:42
Large. "Pissing off the purist" for me too.

vujade
December 19th 2004, 20:54
I want a black one also....and agree the pissing off the purists is a good tagline..

volksdragon
December 19th 2004, 23:01
these are my 2 faves

German Look...
when going in a straight line is just not enough :D

pissing off the purists :laugh:

and grey :agree:

Scotts73SB
December 19th 2004, 23:39
Any color is good.. ill need an XL and yes id buy one...
and.. the logo at the top of the pages is that going to be used? Seems that is a universal logo that everyone knows.
Pissing off the purists is good. They say pissing on tv and in songs.. so whoevers p.o'd at it.. can just not read my shirt. :D

boblebaard
December 20th 2004, 06:41
Count me in for a couple, and don`t forget the stickers and calendars... ;)

... GL.com -the faster veedub comunity

... GL.com - kickass entertainment

Kafer_Mike
December 20th 2004, 12:37
"Pissing Off Purist..." is the tag line of www.volksrods.com. Let's try again... :rolleyes:

randyj
December 20th 2004, 13:01
I like gray.
I will buy one, X-Large.

Randy

zen
December 20th 2004, 16:36
"Pissing Off Purist..." is the tag line of www.volksrods.com. Let's try again... :rolleyes:

i would doubt they have a run on the saying either though considering how long it has been around. i wouldn't leave it at that anyway. i'm thinking something along the lines of:

"Pissing off the purists...in the name of performance" or something along those lines. open to others, but that seems to be the standout so far.

boblebaard
December 20th 2004, 16:56
How abour these:

powerful freezers!

pure power, no heating :D

german quality, retuned all over :rolleyes:

zen
December 20th 2004, 17:32
those are pretty good. a twist on one of yours...

german born, world refined

some others to think about:

A different way to look at old things
(each letter would be backward, not the whole word though, will get people looking at least)

A new way to look at old things
(each letter would be backward, not the whole word though, will get people looking at least)

Torturing bugs around the world

Torturing purists around the world

Some two-sided ideas (keep in mind that two-sided will increase costs, but may be worth it):

Front: How do you get ponies out of a bug? (beetle can be sub'd of course)
Back: GermanLook.com logo

Front: When's the last time you tortured bugs?

Front: I like my rice with a some V8 on the side

Front: I enjoy a steady diet of rice and V8's.

(for stateside guys)
Front: If you don't turn right, it ain't racin'...y'all
:laugh:

sorry braindump moment. do want to make a decision soon so you guys can have these available when that Xmas cash is burning a hole in your pocket. i want to make sure you are getting something you want though. this site is here for you and because of you.

boblebaard
December 20th 2004, 17:45
Front: Cheap T-shirts

Back: More power with Germanlook.com :laugh:

volksdragon
December 21st 2004, 02:43
Front: If you don't turn right, it ain't racin'...y'all

my fave out of the lot

:D

Front: Licensed to Thrill

or

Front: Cal-Look is so 70's

Superman
December 21st 2004, 03:18
Although black would be better I'd prefer the grey, black fades too fast. It's my opinion that the front should be "germanlook.com" only but in the Porsche font. Simple is better to me.

NO_H2O
December 21st 2004, 08:46
I do like the Porsche font.

zen
December 21st 2004, 09:17
i do too. just trying to avoid any action, by any company, for any stupid copyright thing they want to enforce. that is the reason there will be no image whatsoever of a VW. will consider the font though.

Lazarus
December 21st 2004, 12:21
i will order 2 large i like the idea of :i like my rice with some v8 on the side. keep me informed

rip
December 21st 2004, 15:05
i'd take at least one, black, xl. I sort of like these

"Front: I like my rice with a some V8 on the side

Front: I enjoy a steady diet of rice and V8's.

And the picture of a road sign with curves ahead idea is good "

or even some combination
rip

zen
December 21st 2004, 16:51
seems split down the middle on gray vs. black. supa reminded me of an old design that i never did anything with. what do you think of this?
http://www.germanlook.com/Images/gltshirtroadsignexamplefront.jpg
http://www.germanlook.com/Images/gltshirtroadsignexampleback.jpg

rip
December 21st 2004, 17:03
how 'bout a pic of a girl and then have "We like Curves" writen below with GermanLook on the back.

zen
December 21st 2004, 17:32
you guys are spooky with the ESP. that would be another design i had done in the past (except it was, "I like 'em with curves") but put to the side because i wasn't sure how well received it would be by the masses. i don't want to be investing mass amounts in a bunch of different styles and colors out of the gate. trying to find the boadest appeal. once the funds replenish, i can start with different color shirts and designs that are a little more appealing to a smaller crowd. the numbers add up quickly and too small of an order makes the unit cost too high to be appealing at retail.

rip
December 21st 2004, 17:58
I figured as much, but would still be funny. Well at least I would laugh.

Frankly, anything that moves away from the old idea that "speed is everything" and gives more credit to those who cares about handling, and the engineering that goes into a well built machine. I'm just tired of the whole Cal look thing, guess I should move. :laugh:

keep me posted
rip

Supa Ninja
December 21st 2004, 18:44
Frankly, anything that moves away from the old idea that "speed is everything" and gives more credit to those who cares about handling, and the engineering that goes into a well built machine. I'm just tired of the whole Cal look thing, guess I should move. :laugh:

keep me posted
rip

Rip, I feel the exact same way. Zen if you decide to go double sided, maybe instead of the GL.com logo on the back have it on a sleeve. I have a Alpinestars tee and it looks very sharp like that. I think what will happen is no matter what the finally decision I myself and I'm sure a few others will get one no matter if it's the one choosen by the masses or not. Oh ya also there have been talks about stickers for the last couple of years, is that going to happen too?
One more idea is a pic of a hot cartoon(anime) chick and "curves are good"

Scotts73SB
December 21st 2004, 18:51
heh.. "broadist" appeal!!! good pun!! :D
Cant have a girl on it due to everyone has different tastes in what a girl should look like.
Id say go for words.. if you use signs.. some place like Cal Trans or Highway signs.com will say you stole the image from thier website and people are a little to sue happy.
Would be cool to have a space on there where we could have a place to put a transfer of our own favorite cars on there now that you can make your own. Maybe on the back or something.
So i say.. use words.. no one can copyright that! Unless its a saying or something.

zen
December 21st 2004, 20:00
not anime, but best i could do on short notice. :laugh:

btw, not going here. just a joke.
http://www.germanlook.com/Images/gltshirtcurves.jpg

super vw
December 21st 2004, 22:29
I dig the one with the signs and logo on the back.

Jonathan

rip
December 22nd 2004, 04:02
or pic of girl/sign with "We can handle curves ..." and on the back a german look bug with "... can you?" or something to that effect.

vujade
December 22nd 2004, 11:13
or pic of girl/sign with "We can handle curves ..." and on the back a german look bug with "... can you?" or something to that effect.

on that note, what about a pic of the girl silhouette on the sign with 'dangerous curves ahead' :D

BWE
December 22nd 2004, 19:10
I like:
"Front: I like my rice with a some V8 on the side
Back: GermanLook.com logo"

I'll take two of whatever you decide in a M and a L.

Cheers,
Dave

Sandeep
December 23rd 2004, 10:53
I'll take 2 in Large. Just make sure it has a pic or sillouette (sp?) of a GL bug ! :D

Sandeep

Rob
December 23rd 2004, 13:30
I'll take one L.

More taglines:

"Move over"
"This 'nice little car' can kick your ***"
"Yes Officer, it's 100% stock"
"Go fast or Suck" ('borrowed' from SCC)
"Not your grampa's bug"
"Fun is not a straight line"

I really like the 'Pissing off the purists' one.

Rob.

zen
December 23rd 2004, 13:55
glad i asked. Large is a lot more in demand than i would have expected. i will just be running L and XL. probably 70/30% split. there have been some great suggestions on here and just goes to show the diversity of tastes in this community.

i think the "Pissing off the Purists" seems to be the winner and will be the run for the first batch (and on-going). i will drop the extra tag on it and leave the saying just as is. assuming good sales on these to recoup costs, i will start running more styles and colors as well and other merch like stickers will be coming soon.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the support. :agree: keep the thread running with more suggestions for the next run. there are already some front runners. biggest seems to key off anti-staight line and pro-curves. thought of one, "There's nothing fun about going straight", then realized the different conitations that can have. :confused: i'm guessing that might not be a big seller for all. :laugh:

look for an announcement on availability soon.

eisblau
December 24th 2004, 12:38
I'll take one in L and grey.
'Pissing off the purists' sounds good.

There is only one problem: I live in Germany, do you ship overseas and how can I send you the money???

Norbert

zen
December 24th 2004, 13:47
i have to work out the details yet, but my plan is to ship overseas as well. i just have to figure out the right rates to charge. payment will only be through PayPal in US funds. that is the only way i can see safely pulling that off.

super vw
December 24th 2004, 20:32
Sweet!

I agree with NOT having the "There's nothing fun about going straight" tag, i think it would sound a little strange to people outside the auto world. i get plenty of gay jokes from friends about not having a girl friend... i dont need any more ressons :D

Jonathan

hybrid_john
December 25th 2004, 03:05
I would deffinately take a shirt in L. I like the "Pissing Off the Purists" idea but I like the girl/dangerous curves as well. Either way zen I would deffinately take one off your hands but I cant use pay-pal, my card is maxed out with the 69 in the garage :rolleyes:

John

Chris Percival
January 4th 2005, 09:53
Hows about the line from my sig?

rip
January 6th 2005, 05:30
Hows about the line from my sig?

that's neat :D

I was also looking through the post about what german look is, and a lot of people liked the modernization bit so... how about

"The modernization of a old friend"

Supa Ninja
January 10th 2005, 19:57
I like the "Moderization of a old friend" , that is what it is all about.

Doogie S
January 11th 2005, 15:42
Zen,

Sign me up for a Large.

Just a late suggestion for future consideration

"Abandon you Couch"

or

"Do you think your TV will miss you"

What's the chance of doing up a kid's version, as my son is definitaly into cars my hobby...

Doug

Doogie S
January 13th 2005, 00:35
One more tag line that I just thought of, which is my personal motto;

"Lead, Follow or Get out of the way"

Doug :)

zen
January 13th 2005, 21:13
all great ideas. i had to set it aside to deal with some web business stuff, but will be back on the design next week. hope to have some shirts up for sale shortly. will start with one design and add from there as well as other merch. keep an eye out.

Uber Affe
January 26th 2005, 20:59
I've always liked the WW2 vw geared logo...just always thought it looked cool.
It is all, but non existent except in a museum.
I am currently making a copy of a scratch-built piece in pewter with the studs placed in the back while I cast it and having it chromed.

It would be great to have a T-shirt w/ the logo on the front left
and GERMANLOOK>COM on the back.

See my pic!

=)

I'll probably make a few of the emblems since I'm going throught the touble of making a mold.

Haven't figured out what else would look cool.

Give me some ideas!

gabe

zen
January 26th 2005, 21:45
i like it too. i had played with the gear with a GL inside instead of the VW also. the G is so smooth though compared to V and W was difficult to get it to look right. i will play with this. i just haven't gotten back to the t-shirt thing in a while. been crammed on other stuff.

Uber Affe
January 26th 2005, 22:08
Here's one try....I toyed with putting the "L" on the "G's" horizontal line ,but it looks too abstract and the "L" looks like it goes first.

Anyway...take a look.... I like the vw best.

Supa Ninja
January 26th 2005, 23:17
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything especially this thread. My full name is Nicholas Guenter Lakich and hence my initials are nGL. Pretty cool, I just can't believe it never dawned on me before.

BWE
January 27th 2005, 14:29
Thought of one at work the other night:

"Our cure for the bends"

Zen, I too would be interested in kid sizes in the future.

Cheers,
Dave

oicdn
June 29th 2005, 23:38
I personally like this kind of idea:

http://www.coustellier.co.uk/downloads/buswall800.jpg

But instead of a bike, put a GL there, and a/the chick leaning on a guardrail of a curvy road.....

But as for tagline...

"Straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers..."

vujade
June 30th 2005, 08:53
http://www.coustellier.co.uk/downloads/buswall800.jpg

Or you could put, 'Dangerous Curves Ahead' :D

Troy_Audio
June 30th 2005, 13:11
Im thinkin of starting a Drives Club In Prescott,Az Called
Twisted Veiws...
It would have the Twistie Raod Sign in the background & a Front window stiker that reads
Drive Like You Color... Keep It In The Lines
Peace Troy Count me in for (1) Large of all styles (for men)

you could spend $1000's doing Tee's with all the lil sayings we come up with..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/531000-531999/531918_491_full.jpg

kleinporsche
November 15th 2005, 15:23
I love your design über:GLgearLogo.jpg. Very stylish, would definately buy one. The gear logo would look good on the sleeve and you could have a very basic sillouette of a bug on the chest (something like the IMSA logo for Porsche). I also like the "our cure for the bends" moto. But please, make some medium one in a "fitted" t-shirt design! Do not make some X-tra large only in fruit-of-the-loom, no white t-shirts: black is good black is nice! Paint it, paint it, paint it, paint it black...yeah!

jakriz
November 29th 2005, 00:28
I would be quite happy with the German Look .com logo as seen on the top left hand of the page, I want some stickers too.
regards
Jak

Can one of the moderators send me a high resolution version of the current logo so that I can get my own stickers made?

zen
November 29th 2005, 09:09
t-shirts are done...at least this version. it is an embroidered logo as seen on the front page. no car or anything. just keeping it simple for these. top quality though. pigment dyed shirt. i will have picks and ordering up soon. too much going on at once. other versions will follow.

the logo at the top left will be retired soon. that is the only version (non-vector based) and i have not been able to get in contact with the creator to have a larger resolution version done and i don't have the time to try to recreate it. therefore, out with the old, in with the new.

zen
November 29th 2005, 09:10
oh, stickers are done as well. silver GL.com logo.

boblebaard
November 29th 2005, 11:12
How can I order the stickers ZEN? I need them for my cars.

zen
November 29th 2005, 16:18
should be up on the site within the next week or so.

zen
December 4th 2005, 16:29
Long awaited and finally here! The GermanLook.com Store is just getting started with a full line of merchandise beginning with some select, high-quality apparel and logo stickers seen in the GermanLook Gear Store in the Resource section of the Main Page (http://www.germanlook.com/Html/Main.php).

You won't be disappointed. This line of merch was intended to be very simple and of the highest quality...something you can wear to a show and to the office (a casual one anyway). All logos are embroidered in two colors (GL.com silver and blue) with a high-stitch count. More merchandise will be on the way soon including print t-shirts (featuring a GL car of course).

REAL pics of the merchandise will be up in the next few days. Had to use some cheezy catalog photos for now, but it is the real products.

super vw
December 4th 2005, 21:03
Just ordered a shirt and some stickers tonight! WEEEEEEE!!!!! GL gear :D cant wait for somre more options later on ;) wink wink :D

Jonathan

Supa Ninja
December 4th 2005, 21:53
That merch is lookin good Zen! I'tt be orderin soon as well.

zen
December 5th 2005, 06:53
Looks like international shipping charges aren't working as I thought. Until I can fix it, all international orders should PM me with your order and mailing address and I will bill you manually with the correct shipping cost. DO NOT PLACE AN INTERNATION SHIPPING ORDER VIA THE STORE AT THIS TIME.

BTW, GermanLook.com Meet and Greet/VKG Dyno Day shirts will be up in a day or two.

ccain529
May 3rd 2006, 14:40
OK so this may be a day late and a dollar short..... I know you guys have your tee-shirts and stickers done and all, but I had a weird idea....
Why not meld the Porsche and Wolfsburg Logos? Since these cars are a blend of the best of VW and the best of Porsche why not make a hybrid logo that represents both? These could be made into stickers, embroidered onto golf shirts, used with a tag-line on a tee-shirt.....what ever.

Here's a sample:

volksdragon
May 3rd 2006, 14:52
very cool badges

oasis
May 4th 2006, 02:03
Why not meld the Porsche and Wolfsburg Logos? Since these cars are a blend of the best of VW and the best of Porsche why not make a hybrid logo that represents both?

To answer the first question, there may be legal issues with both companies.

The logo looks nice but I would have no interest. There is nothing Porsche about my car ... and nothing is planned. I would react the same if the logo was a morph between Wolfsburg and Subaru.

I admire people integrating Porsche mechanicals into their project just as I admire the Suby converters. In the end, the cars are personal statements of their owners more than anything else. And to that end, I feel part of that community more than anything else.

One opinion only, mind you.

ccain529
May 4th 2006, 02:21
In retrospect...I guess I didn't take into account other peoples projects and stereotyped all German-Look cars with the Porsche bits...Sorry.
I guess I just have too much time on my hands! :laugh:

oasis
May 4th 2006, 07:22
I guess I just have too much time on my hands! :laugh:
Your logo is quite clever and I am sure it did take some time. If the legal hurdles aren't insurmountable, I'm not against the logo. I just wouldn't be interested and I would hope that wouldn't be the sole available logo. That's all.

Time spent GermanLooking is time well spent. ;)