PDA

View Full Version : SB on Four Jack Stands Safely?

pocketrocket
December 22nd 2004, 12:59
Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to SAFELY put my 71 SB 'vert up on four jack stands so it doesn't fall? I already have a friend who is now a quadraplegic because his vehicle fell on him. It's hard enough to get the car finished with out that too!

Superman
December 22nd 2004, 17:40
Put the two in the front on the rear area of the framehead near the pan, this is also sometimes called the "firewall" area just next the master cylinder. In the rear I put them on the torsion tubes.

Another thing I sometimes do, when space allows, is place a large cement block in the center of the car or near the area that I'm working as an extra precaution, or a good floor jack.

The best thing to do once you have the car up is to shake the car VERY hard and see if it moves or falls. Best it fall during a test and if it doesn't budge then you'll know it's secure.

Superman
December 22nd 2004, 17:53
I had to come back and say... that I just realized it's a Convertible, DO NOT open the doors while it's up on the stands unless you're 100% sure that the heater channels and reinforcement rails are in great shape.