PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Dash Cover???

Kafer_Mike
December 31st 2004, 01:18
Is Carbon Joe turning out dash covers for a standard Beetle yet? I've seen alot of talk on the forum over the last few months, but no pix.

hybrid_john
December 31st 2004, 21:03
contact him....he might be busy right now?! :rolleyes:

John

Kafer_Mike
January 1st 2005, 17:25
I sent him an email. No response yet. I'm just trying another angle to fill my CF itch... ;)

Kafer_Mike
January 14th 2005, 22:58
I just ordered my CF dash cover and running boards. Can't wait to see 'em in person. Thanks Joe... :laugh: :agree:

Uber Affe
January 17th 2005, 04:01
want it...want it real bad...
interior is gettin ripped out now...car goin to paiint this month...
C/f 911 dash sure would be nice...

Gabe

libila
April 13th 2005, 18:27
I too would like a carbon fiber dash cover. I've been checking the site but there hasn't been any updates or pictures.

Carbon Joe
April 19th 2005, 12:09
I've been super busy and also dealing with a few family health issues but I did manage to get a few thing done. First being the dash
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/7199600/93605887.jpg

Second the spoiler
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/7199600/93604446.jpg

and last side scoops

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/7199600/93604461.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/7199600/93604452.jpg
I'm still working on the 911 dash that hope to have it done soon.

tom'72
April 19th 2005, 12:35
Hey, Carbon Joe does this mean you are taking orders again (I emailed you e few times)? Hope the health issues weren't to serious.

super vw
April 19th 2005, 16:46
Lookin good Joe! It's nice to see that some new products being made in the states.

I cant wait for you to get that 911 style dash done... Im sure it will be worth the long wait though.

Later,
Jonathan R

zen
April 19th 2005, 20:07
looks great joe! love the spoiler. makes me wish i had a bumper...nah. :D

hope all is OK with the family. give me a call sometime soon (and i will do the same). i am going to play around with the spare c/f in making a splitter and want to share some thoughts.

Kafer_Mike
April 20th 2005, 00:10
I received my CF dash cover a few weeks ago and the fit and finish is perfect. My only problem with it is I'm afraid to cut it to fit my gauges... :(

Carbon Joe
April 20th 2005, 10:16
Thanks guys, dad was in the hospaitl for ten days and then two weeks later mom went in for a few days but everyone's doing better.

Tom, try sending me another email or you can PM me from here.

Zen, the splitter sounds cool, yes we need to talk. I would like to do some updating on the site, I'll give you a call.

Mike, the safest thing to do is cover the entire dash with blue panters tape and draw your outlines and see how it looks, if you need to you and make your changes then. To cut the holes use a piloted fine tooth hole saw and just go slow.

oasis
April 20th 2005, 11:06
I received my CF dash cover a few weeks ago and the fit and finish is perfect.
My apologies if this is daft of me, but does the c/f dash replace the padding part, or is there more to it than that?

I'm also curious as to how difficult it is to bore the holes for gauges, knobs and vents.

Oh, and radio. If one were to stick a modern radio in the dash, does one have to do some cutting behind the c/f part? In fact for the sake of interest, is there any cutting behind the c/f part necessary for any modification (say, a 914 set-up)?

Uber Affe
April 20th 2005, 21:32
Fantastico senor!

I hope everything is ok w/ your family now..=)
I'm also glad to see your handy work once again and as always I am in awe.
I'll be sending you an order for some parts very soon...especially for that 911 dash...it's been like some kinda Golden Ticket for the Wonka factory to me since it was first mentioned....mmmmm...candy.....

Again, I'm glad to hear your family's ok now.

Thanks,
G.Sainz

Kafer_Mike
April 20th 2005, 23:33
Mike, the safest thing to do is cover the entire dash with blue panters tape and draw your outlines and see how it looks, if you need to you and make your changes then. To cut the holes use a piloted fine tooth hole saw and just go slow.
I'll try it, but my hands will be shaking. :D What about the larger speedo hole? I was planning to cut it a little undersize using a sabre saw with an extra fine metal blade and finish it with the Dremel and a sanding drum.

samcat
April 21st 2005, 04:07
Dremel with carbide cutoff disks cuts carbon fibre like a hot knife through butter... Its soooo easy to get a nice shape, and the sanding belts are the same, its very easy to work with!

I would be tempted to do it just with the dremel... Mark it all out (stick masking tape to the cf and draw on it), straight lines from the middle of the speedo hole to the edges (like a *) then join it up, finally sand to get the shape perfect....

Thats how I did :

http://members.lycos.co.uk/vdubhub/a_temp/VW/2005-03-25-CarbonDash.jpg

Only reason for the ring around the CHT gauge is I slipped with the sanding disk and removed a bit much! oops....

Cya,
Sam C

Scotts73SB
April 21st 2005, 14:50
Kinda makes it 3-D looking Sam... great job! I think you made a new trend! :D

zen
April 22nd 2005, 14:01
i cut mine the same as Samcat (even cut my metal dash some that way). let me add though that YOU SHOULD WEAR A MASK when doing this. note the word FIBER.

tom'72
April 23rd 2005, 08:00
always were a mask when cutting carbon fiber/glass fiber , especially cf. I've been told that all the carbon parts you breath in are taken in by the human body and over a long period could result in a form of cancer.

libila
April 24th 2005, 20:16
It seems any-and-everything causes cancer these days! [/bad joke]

Joe- It's good to hear that things are better with the family. The new products look great!

LLVWGL
April 28th 2005, 02:28
CarbonJoe,
I was wondering if it would be possible to include the NACA ducts in the front spoiler for cooling the brakes?

Does anyone have trouble with overheating 944 brakes?

Donny Don
July 13th 2005, 18:39
Hi,

Are the side scoops in production yet?

DD

p.s I've had a small roof spoiler from Carbon Joes and it is really good quality, well worth the wait guys..

oicdn
July 13th 2005, 21:16
Does anyone have trouble with overheating 944 brakes?

I wouldn't think so, there's a good chunk of weight missing that those brakes don't have to stop anymore.....especially the Brembo/Turbo brakes...