PDA

View Full Version : body swap

'74super
December 31st 2004, 23:34
the frame head on my pan right now is bent. steering stuck and it hit a curb. to replace it is kind of out of the question. i do have a replacement pan though that i have to put my body on. how hard is a body swap? how long should it take? etc. give me all the little details you can. i appreciate the help. thanks. -nick (it's a 74 super beetle by the way)

vujade
January 1st 2005, 04:19
not sure with a super, but with a standard it goes something like this....

remove seats, steering columm, engine and gas tank and then remove all the bolts that hold the body to the pan.... now get about 4 people and lift the body off the pan.... thats it!!!

Doogie S
January 2nd 2005, 17:42
74 Super,

The best information I can give you is to invest in a Bentley or Haynes manual for your car, as there are a lot of little things that need to be done before you can rip the body off the pan, or you'll be doing just that, ripping the body off.

Things like grounding straps and other elecrical connections need to be looked at as well.

Do a search on the internet for how to's as well. I know this topic has been covered a number of times in various publications such as VW Trends and Hot VW's.

As for time, better put aside a solid weekend and have AT LEAST 4 of your buddies over and a couple of the wives around to look for things that you missed while you are lifting.

Best of luck. :cool:

Doug