PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 cooling for a type 4

vujade
October 16th 2002, 12:41
Anyone know anything about type 1 style cooling kits for a type 4? I was thinking this might be a cheap alternative to the porsche shroud for now until I rebuild it.
Doesnt Oliver sell one llike this at his shop?

zen
October 17th 2002, 13:10
here is a site with info on using standard T1 cooling on a TIV. i have not made it all the way through it myself, but have heard many brag about it. i MAY be doing the same conversion myself. we will see. i may just cough up the $$$ for a DTM.

http://home.att.net/~NEXTGEN/

vujade
October 17th 2002, 17:33
if cough up the money for a DTM I might as well go with the Porsche Shroud... for me I think it would be better to go with the type 1 shroud unless I have more money when I am ready to convert

zen
October 17th 2002, 21:01
don't get me wrong, i would rather be in a porsche shroud, but the kit is double ($1000 vs. $500) plus the extra $$ to machine the case. but the biggest factor is that i plan on getting a running TIV and dropping it in rather than a teardown. i may switch to porsche once a teardown is needed.

vujade
October 18th 2002, 07:43
thats the same thing I want to do...find a running engine first, convert to upright and then later rebuild & use the porsche shroud. Thats why I figured using the type 1 shroud would be cheaper then using the dtm.

kdanie
October 18th 2002, 19:32
Porsche shroud cooling can be done for much less than $1000. I bought a fan/ring/alt off ebay for $180, the CIP type 4 shroud kit for about $400 and an electronic voltage regulator from Fat Performance for $40. The instructions suck and you have to have some mechanical aptitude to figure it out but it's possible. Oh yeah, the case machining....if you can't do it yourself you have to pay someone (I don't know how much though). So I'm hooked up for just over $600. The DTM would cost me that much after I bought the shroud kit, Alt and anything else required to complete the installation.
ken

Oliver Knuf
October 28th 2002, 07:29
Getting a used case from us, together with a complete Porsche-style cooling, shipping and handling for... 1200,00 $!!!

Includes....

-used case, (1,7/1,8/2,0l) machined for Porsche ring, strap mount and vent, cleaned, inspected, no machinings else incl.!, no studs
-A.KNUF fan/ring/alt system, inludes 70amp Rabbit style alt, Porsche Carrera 2 fan (12 blade, curved), aluminium ring
-stainless steel strap with center mount
-power pulley, steel, engraved & cad-plated
-fiberglass shroud
-belt and hardware
-oilfiller for Type 4 cases in beetles
-rear fiberglass apron to fill in the rear engine compartment
-shipping & handling
-payment only via wire transfer!

Oliver Knuf
October 28th 2002, 07:30
Err, voltage regulator included, as a plug-in for the alt, so that you don't have to fit in single cables!

vujade
October 28th 2002, 09:23
Oliver that Sounds pretty amazing to me...I might just take you up on that.

I have a question about the motor... is it just the case?
What about heads?
And internals?
How much if you send me a short block?

Oliver Knuf
October 28th 2002, 10:13
Short or long block? How many cc's? Cam? Heads? Flywheel? Do you know some points? I'll answer immediately!

vujade
October 28th 2002, 11:03
Oliver, here goes

how much for a short block with 71mm crank?
I would like final displacement to be 2056 (using 96mm pistonts)

how much for a long block using the same specs with ported & polished heads bored to 96mm?

Not sure about cams? What do you suggest?

In addition, how much will the Porsche conversion cost if I buy the short block
if I buy the longblock?

Oliver Knuf
October 31st 2002, 04:25
Take a look in the PTP forum for better answers!