PDA

View Full Version : fuel level sender unit for 924 dashes

maniac
February 10th 2005, 10:36
Hello,

is there a possibility of receiving the fuel level on my 1303 with my new 924/944 dashes?
The orginal 1303 Sender doesnt work. No High level, no empty level.

Which sender unit can i use?

mbartell
March 7th 2005, 21:02
Yeah, I'd like to know about this too. I've got an earlier (1971) super, and guages that have the round connector on the back. I finally got all the wires sorted out, but not the senders.

Is there a "generic" fuel sender or can you use some sort of resistor or other electronic doo-dad to change the level readings?

I was also wondering which VDO oil temp sending units would make the water temp guage work?

NO_H2O
March 7th 2005, 22:19
I have never done this one. I would start with readig the scale(resistance) of a 944 sender and compare it to the scale of the 1302/1303 sender. then you could add resistance to the stock sender to get the full level or mabey find a sender with the proper scale.

mbartell
March 8th 2005, 15:03
Thanks- I kind of figured that's what I'd have to do.
:banghead: Taking the guage apart and putting the VW one in is not an option with the one I have.

Can the float level be changed in the sending unit to get a different reading, if adding a resistor dosn't work?

NO_H2O
March 9th 2005, 00:23
Not the range of the gauge, test the range of the senders.

dean_harryman
March 10th 2005, 14:47
if you are trying to adjust your fuel gauge....there should be an adjuster on the 71 bug....my 64 has a flathead screw adjuster on the bach it is located on the back of the fuel gauge tward the bottom....I hope this helps...I am not sure what you guys are trying to do....lol....DEAN

mbartell
March 11th 2005, 13:25
I'll check the back of my 924 guage for an adjuster screw. I figure I'll just take my sender out, plug in the appropriate wires and see what I read thru the range, and figure out how to adjust from there.

The reason I can't swap the stock fuel guage into the 924 housing is because it's a newer one with a 12 point circular connector on the back. I finally got the correct plug and all the lights for it, and a wiring diagram with the correct pinout.

Once I figure out all the wiring I'll be sure to show off, I'm going to try and keep it from becoming a total rat's nest.

maniac
March 12th 2005, 03:35
i used now a fuel sender from 924.
Cut it off from 31cm to 14,8cm and get a new wire for the fuel sender (wire from notchback), so the range are right.
works fine, also the warning sender for low fuel.

greets maniac

beetle1303
April 11th 2005, 20:31
Hi mbartell,
can you post a "walkthrough" for the round connector on the combination gauge? i got the same instruments from a 924...
how can i understand if they are from a normal 924 an S or a turbo one?

Chris

poshbuggers
April 18th 2005, 05:36
You can tell which they are by the colour of the markings.

They are:

924 - small numerals white on black
924 Turbo - small numerals green on black
924S/early 944 - large numerals white on black

Hope this helps

mbartell
April 25th 2005, 14:06
this should also help...
older thread (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3426)
I thought they were 944 guages- they are 924, and I still haven't installed them!
I figure that using a diffrent sender will allow me to use the coolant temp guage as a oil temp guage, since there are no numbers actually listed on the combo guage.. I don't know what sender to use.