PDA

View Full Version : Whaddaya guys think?

airwerksvw
February 14th 2005, 21:22
6spd allwheel drive?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4527303336&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I realize the amount of work and cost would go through the roof, but I am prepared to sell my Audi and Samurai to fund this project......

I would also have to decide on whether or not to use a porsche front diff or adapt like a cyclone or other awd front end/suspension?

starmember
February 15th 2005, 05:40
that wouldt be the ultimute conversion. :cool:

i think ik would be posibele but the shaft have to go to the center tunnel :confused:

rip
February 15th 2005, 19:26
sounds cool I'd almost start from stratch though like one of CentralVWAudi.com ' s projects go with a tube frame and just use the beetle body. But yea that's some money. I couldn't afford it.

rip

airwerksvw
February 15th 2005, 20:56
I think I would cut out the center spine, and make it out of tube(integrating it with the rollcage) and making it wider/taller so everything would fit........ If the trans stays under 2k I'm gonna do it!

airwerksvw
February 18th 2005, 22:13
GOT IT! :D :D Anyone have any ideas of where I can look up the gear ratios?

volkdent
February 19th 2005, 04:31
Absolutely nuts!!!! I love it, lets see where it gets you.

Jason

zen
February 19th 2005, 10:22
would love to watch the progress on here. keep us up to date. congrats on the find.

mattfaulkner
February 22nd 2005, 18:52
Amen to progress pics!

airwerksvw
February 22nd 2005, 20:26
I hope progress pics will be in the works........

I have been trying to find info on this trans and it seems 92-93 carrerra's never came 6spd awd, they were all 5spds :confused:

Either it is a newer tranny, or not a 6spd. I emailed the guy for the serial number(all the pics are of part numbers, not relevant)

This is gonna suck if it isn't a 6spd :mad:

Michael Ghia
February 24th 2005, 03:20
The C4 setups varied slightly as they started on the 964 series and moved through to the 993
The 964 was a bit of a failure... very over-engineered electronics controlled the 4 wheel drive... I think its 3 ECU's and the complaint from many customers was a lack of control over what the car was going to do. It used sensors from the ABS etc within the system. It was a 5 speed gearbox

The 993 system was a much better system if only because it was more simple. It used one ECU and a purposeful difference in OD of wheel and tyre combo which would keep the VC in constant use, always transmitting a minimum of 5% power to the front wheels at all times. This was the 6 speed gearbox.

I have had a quick look up in PET and can't be sure from the pics of which unit is for sale there. Certainley the dates 92-93 would indicate a 964 gearbox but as you say, the 964 never came with a 6 speed.

The propshaft and front diff bolt on with an outer casing aswell. You can see the flange and splines on the front of the gearbox. This would need to be lengthened as the 911 wheelbase is shorter than that of the Beetle unless you want to run the gearbox further forwards and have angled CV joints.

If the gearbox is a 964 C4 one, in all honesty I would leave it and look elsewhere. There are far too many electronics involved to make it worth your while and it will cost you a lot more than you think to get it running.

Just my opinion.

MG

airwerksvw
February 25th 2005, 00:37
Hmmmmm

I emailed the guy and he assured me that it was a 6spd.......... If not I wonder what options I will have for not accepring/getting my money back. I will see the trans on sat. He said the guy he listed it for was 100% sure it was a 6spd, but not sure on the year. Gettin' kinda sketchy.

airwerksvw
February 27th 2005, 16:18
Got the trans, isnt G6400 the name of the 6spd, cause thats what is stamped on the bottom. Also stamped: 3K 03400 and the vin #of the car it came out of. Time to call the local porsche dealer.

volkdent
February 27th 2005, 19:42
Sorry to hear. I have to tell you, it did seem like kind of an impulse buy, but if it's not what they advertised, you should be able to return it through Ebay.

Jason

airwerksvw
February 28th 2005, 21:12
S%IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Porsche dealer said it is a 5spd out of a 89 964! Absolutely nothing about the description other than the fact it is awd was accurate!

Wish me luck on getting my money back :(

volkdent
February 28th 2005, 23:07
Well, I guess check to see what that tranny is worth. 6 speed is nice, but installing a Porsche tranny is tough enough, never mind AWD. Really, I'd suggest you get the whole drivetrain if your going AWD, cause piecing together ANYTHING with Porsche stuff involved is not very fun. If you can get the front diff and the torque tube, I bet you could get somewhere, but JUST a tranny sounds like your going to get really old before the thing ever runs under it's own power. What about a Porsche tranny with a mid-mounted WRX motor? NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN! Just my $0.02.

Jason

airwerksvw
March 1st 2005, 20:26
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna start looking for a rwd 6spd and keep it a pan car......

as for the wrx motor, longblock of my 2275 is sitting on the engine stand :)

airwerksvw
March 1st 2005, 20:27
oops.. thats one way to get the post count up

vwdevotee
July 29th 2006, 14:20
If your really jonesing after a 6-speed awd system, try www.911pcar.com. They seem to have a huge selection. they are also on ebay under some similar name.

airwerksvw
November 30th 2006, 23:12
Well, I did some trading and traded my AWD box for a 2wd(5spd) box a while ago for just my end of the shipping. The AWD guy was misinformed, and gave me my money back minus 200.00 and let me keep the tranny. The trans actually belonged to another guy that lied about what it was, then flaked on him too.

Sold my 2275, now there is an EJ20t on the engine stand.

I just have to get off my butt and start working on it again :mad:

volkdent
December 1st 2006, 02:34
... What about a Porsche tranny with a mid-mounted WRX motor? NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN! Just my $0.02.

Jason

Hey, that sounds familiar!!! I hope you enjoy your choice, I think it's a good one.

Jason