PDA

View Full Version : Help on my door

rustbucket
February 19th 2005, 00:03
All of a sudden, my passenger door is hitting the body. It is making contact around the vent wing window area (directly above it). This is a major concern for two reasons, 1. I just had it painted and its screwing up my paint, and 2. It is supposed to start raining here Monday. Can some one help before it's too late?

zen
February 19th 2005, 10:26
close it slowly and as it makes contact with the striking plate see if it moves up or what. basically you have the hinges and the striking plate to dork with. don't ask me for any logic on the adjustments as i have never figured it out. i just make one change at a time and analyze the results...and my doors are far from perfect. they will move over time of course too. just found my passenger door is hitting the striker plate all of a sudden and took off all of the paint. :bawling:

hybrid_john
February 21st 2005, 04:18
OUCH! sorry zen...

try moving it up or down like he said...Ive had to do it with my doors as well, though mine and zens are suicide doors it should work non the less. Do it slow and see which direction you should go. I had to use a floor jack and some 2x4's to keep to door in line while I tightend up the hinges...fine tuning is all thats needed unless your doors are warped!

Good Luck!

Mikey
February 21st 2005, 14:33
How well did the doors fit before the car was painted? :confused:

rustbucket
February 21st 2005, 18:16
I've narrowed it down to a frozen lower hinge pin. It was a little sticky before it went into storage, and then to the body shop, and then to the paint. That was well over 18 months. So it only got worse. I tried to beat it out Saturday, but no luck. So I'll have to take it somewhere and have it removed by air hammer. It has actually weakend the lower door pillar. So I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Worse part, I'll have to touch up the paint on the hinge. Good thing I chose a late model color. It'll be easy to get touch up paint. :D