PDA

View Full Version : custom fiberglass

dean_harryman
February 28th 2005, 00:26
I am new to the fiber glass world....but I have done some work on a bear for an auction......we used that foam you squirt in your walls and I cut and shaped the foam then someone coated it in fiber glass...I was wondering if this is a technique i can use to build a air dam and rear fin.....anything will help at this point....THANKS

tom'72
February 28th 2005, 12:21
Yes, that method is possible (hard to make it symmetrical but possible), make sure you use poly eurethane and not some foam that reacts whit the glass fiber and melts.

dean_harryman
February 28th 2005, 17:04
so if I where to make a front air dam...I would just lay thefierglass over the foam....then could I remove most of the foam from the back and lay fiberglass on the inide too or just leve it and fiberglass with the foam inside??? would the foam add any strength??

rustbucket
February 28th 2005, 21:41
The foam really wouldn't add anything in my opinion. If you use a releasing agent on the surface of the foam, the fiberglass won't stick to the foam, but will retain the shape.

dean_harryman
March 1st 2005, 01:52
thanks for all of your replys...I think I am gonna try some fiberglass....soon....and I may try to build my own air dam....if someone could give me a link to where I can get materials reletivly inexpensively I would appreciate it

tom'72
March 1st 2005, 06:37
to make things like spoilers on a car MDF wood is also used to create the shape, release agent on the finished piece of MDF and the fiberglass over that.

dean_harryman
March 2nd 2005, 04:45
heres what I am going to do...i am going to measure height lingth and width of what i want to build....then I am going to make a wooden box at those dimensions....then i am going to poar expanding foam into the box and wait 24 hours....then I am going to dissasemble the box and have myself a peice of rigid foam roughly the shape I want...then I am going to carve the foam to make it look like a front end in a bodykit....then I am going to sand and refine the shape....then put my stock bumper mounts on the foam...cover it in a bunch of layers of glass....then sand the glass smooth....and then primer the glass with primer black( just like my car) and then install.....does this sound like it would work???

hybrid_john
March 3rd 2005, 00:38
hey man...sound pretty good. i think it shold work...do you have a place to get supplies? If not here (http://www.shopmaninc.com/) , this might help. They have everything you need, including the urethane foam, and its fairly inexpensive...and if you keep it fiberglass you shouldnt have any problems with your plan....
Good Luck....just make sure you get it down right the first couple times...it can get kinda pricey if your not easily satisfied!

let us know how it turns out for you!

volkdent
March 3rd 2005, 01:28
Try TAP plastics too. They are a chain, I just don't know where they extend too.

Jason

dean_harryman
March 3rd 2005, 03:29
thanks for the link john, if anyone has any suggestions on the weight of glass I should use (3oz....6oz) i would appreciate it....and what kind of ofresin should I go with.....I am going to try a small piece...like a scoop for the decklid first....could I use the supplies for fiberglass that they sell at wal-mart just to try it out/??

effvee
March 3rd 2005, 03:51
Hi here is a site that can help. www.fibreglast.com
Also I am in the process of altering my running boards. I like the part about the spray foam. will this foam stick and frim up pretty fast? I have release agent, but I'm told waxing the mating area and then apply the release, will help the parts to come right off. Where can I buy this foam? I went to Micheal hobby shop and bought some hard foam the kind they use in flower decoration. But not the spray foam, it seems much easier with the spray foam, I will give it a try. :)

dean_harryman
March 3rd 2005, 16:49
I got it at a hardware store when I did some glass work at school

dean_harryman
March 3rd 2005, 19:22
I got some foam today....I am going to try to build an air scoop for the rear deacklid....I am going to force air to the carp...heheh

effvee
March 4th 2005, 03:52
Where did you buy the foam?

dean_harryman
March 5th 2005, 21:26
ace hardware....it is called something like crack fill...otr something....it is to fill holes and insulate walls.....I ahd to use 3 cans to get the foam build up enough to made the foam base for my scoop.....but I could have used 2....but I tried to flatten uout the foam from the first can and it stoped the reaction or something and it didnt "poof" i am going to finish carving and coat in a thin layer of bondo tonight...so pics are coming soon

hybrid_john
March 6th 2005, 04:52
good news...I'm curious to see how it turn out for you...cant wait for pics :rolleyes:

dean_harryman
March 10th 2005, 14:35
ok, so i carved out the scoop...and coated in bondo.....next step is to sand the bondo smooth...and later comes fiberglass....that I feel is going to be fun.....photos in the next couple of days

hybrid_john
March 10th 2005, 15:21
cant wiat! :agree:

bow
September 3rd 2005, 23:08
heay man using that spray foam isn't the best way to go because you can get air pockets that can blow up when the resin starts to kick and cause you part to deform

Tedzbug
September 6th 2005, 15:20
i have been talking about this methid for awhile too......I hope to see the results.....

I was thinking of taking a sheet or 2 of that blue foam house insulation and cuttin/gluing it to make a block for carving into a spoiler.....