PDA

View Full Version : Blinker/hazard relay question

Eurolook71
February 28th 2005, 19:54
The previous owner of my 71 Super had unhooked all the wires for the hazard relay. There are 5 actual wires, but three actual connections to the relay.

The wires are:

+ WHITE
BLACK/GREEN/WHITE
BLUE
and (2) Skinny Brown wires

The bk/gr/w wire are spliced together with the blue wire, as well are the two skinny brown wires.

My relay says this:
HELLA 12V
4RD
960388-20
1672537C1

And have these connections:
87a

All that's on the diagram that relates to the relay is:
+ WHITE
49a black/green/white AND blue
31 brown and brown

Ok. there is more.....DIAGRAM--->http://www.1302super.com/page19a.html
I'm really confused. If you look at the diagram, and find the turn signal switch (E2) and ignition switch (D) there are a bunch of wires coming out. Find #15 on E2. It's a black wire. I don't have this wire coming from my column. Its goes to #11 fuse (red, second from right). Thats all the wires I dont have, but then theres wires I have that ARNT on the diagram, all coming from the steering column.

GREY
GRAY/BLACK
WHITE (NOT the skinny white wire going to the drv. side door jamb switch)
BROWN/BLUE
and
ANOTHER GREY WIRE...(this wire i just discovered today when I pulled the wheel to look at the signal and ignition switch. This is coming from the ignition.)

So, tiral and error ensued, and I tired all these wires, thinking maybe they are now the #15 black wire. Nothing. Except the new grey wire. I put it to #11 fuse, and went to put on the ground strap on the battery. It sparked when touched, and lit up both GEN and OIL lights (NO key), so I didnt even bother to continue, knowing that shouldnt be there. So now I know that this new grey wire is 12Vs, but where does it go....its not on the map!! Also keep in mind that the above mentioned relay is only hooked up on a maybe/maybe not idea. I still need to know how this should be hooked up.

I know you guys dont have all the answers, but then again...maybe you do!!
(by the way, these wires that I have that arnt on the diagram look very much like stock wires!!)

ECBug
March 1st 2005, 19:20
Ill see what I kind find out unless someone else already knows. I recently installed a new turn signal switch in my car and it also had an extra grey wire that wasnt hooked to anything. So, I think its just a spare. I think the 72 model has the wipers on the column so the harness I have may be universal and had that wire extra for that. But anyway ill see what I can find. Hope that helps with the grey wire.

Eurolook71
March 1st 2005, 20:03
If and when you find some time, could you find out what wires are going to the hazard relay? I should note that, before I started to work on all this, certain things would work, like the GEN and OIL lights would come on normally, and at least the hazard and blinker indicator would come on and stay on. Also working was the wipers, and parking lights, (althought the pass side rear was really dim...and none are blinking of course.)

Now that I've got things hooked up like they are in the diagram, NOTHING comes on. I've gone over everything twice, and except for the obvious that I've been ranting about this whole time, everything is exact to the diagram. HELP!

beetle1303
March 2nd 2005, 15:27
this is long but its worth reading.
hope it helps

the first thing that you should consider that the fuse box as shown is actually inverted (up-side-down) and any cable coming from the top is "energising" a circuit, simply because automotive electrical systems are DC (directed current) applications.

now, the best way to solve yourproblems is to backwards towards the regulator.
obviously you have a thick red wire coming to your fuse box. thats the main supply (+) and goes to fuse 9. the bottom of fuse9 is connected to fuse 8 and 7 so they have the same power supply as fuse9.
the red wire from the bottom of fuse 8 is powering your hazzard switch E3.

E3 connections:
30 live after fuse 8
15 black wire to terminal 15 on steering column through fuse12 and the
terminal before fuse11
49a blue wire to 49a on flasher relay
+ white wire to+ terminal on flasher relay (power for the relay)
L connects to T2 under the steering column to the same colour wires
R same as L with respectve coloured wires
31 brown is the earth but rememberto use the same earthing points and earthing connections for the system to work at 100%

now there is a black/white/green wire going from the relay to the steering column. This wire complete the circuit in order your signals to work when you turn. if you want to turn left you press the lever on the column down and it completes the left circuit and the opposite for the right side to work. Note that the connectors under the steering wheel connect not only the 2 wires facing each other but all the 4 in order to complete the circuits. There is a small wire as well that lights up the indicator inside the speedo which is also connected to this cable (thats why there is onlyone indication for theturn signal in the speedo showing both directions.

make sure that every cable is at the correct terminal. This goes for switches, relays and fuses.

As for the oil press and altenator lights not going on check the sppedo's earthing cables (brown) which are next to the warning lights.

also try use wire of the same gauge (thickness) for your system to work correctly

Again I hope this helps.

Chris

beetle1303
March 2nd 2005, 15:33
forgot to mention aboutthe black wire from terminal15 on E2.
it goes the the fuse 11 but the current it carries goes to terminal 15 on the hazzard switch because fuse 11 and 12 are connected so it goes to terminal 15 on the switch but passes through the fuse 12.

Chris

Eurolook71
March 2nd 2005, 16:31
hey Chris thanks for the help. As soon as I find out what wires go to the hazard relay, and figure out why I DONT have a black #15 wire coming from the column, I'll be set. The PO pulled the wires that go to the relay from the underneath of the fuse block, and of course the relay itself doesnt say +, 49a, etc on it....so I'm not sure what wires go where.

Also, I have, (as i mentioned before) a grey wire coming from the ignition that is hot, but not hooked to anything.

I'm going to go check that i dont have wires upside-down, now that you mentioned that the fuse block is illustrated upside-down.