PDA

View Full Version : Creative Car Craft--when to say when

DrDuktayp
March 3rd 2005, 22:17
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have been reading as many posts as I can before I undertake my project. I am interested in making my newly aquired 1975 Super into a German Look beauty.

At this point I intend on putting my logo along with the manufacturer's logos of all the products that I sell out of my flooring store. It will be a rolling bill board. The tricky part is that I want it to look good and not tacky. There is a fine line there.

For the body I am thinking about using the Creative Car Craft parts as I read here in the forum that they are good parts. The list of parts I am thinking of are:
Rear Fenders widened 3 inches
Front Fenders widened 2? inches
Stock Superbeetle Hood
Front Airdam
Turbotail
Rear Deck lid w/recessed plate
Running Boards Pair

The questions are will it look good or am I getting carried away?

DrDuktayp

Uber Affe
March 3rd 2005, 23:20
I know...that's a tired phrase, but it is true none the less.

Many people love the "Mulholand" look...I did too when i was a wee child and now I'm in some kinda weird mutant hybrid category all My own that I can seem to afford.
Beyond that...go with what feels right. The "German Look" as determined by the many and varied members of this site maintain one constant in all that I've seen.
Keep it simple.
Keep it clean.
And stick as many high performance, modern parts and styling elements as you can into that little car.
If this (to you) means monster wide fenders, a Ginormous whale tail and a screaming pink flamigo with a flaming ***...Go for it.

I'm rather fond of monkeys myself.

Sounds like you car will be hella-cool and very light....Just watch yer wallet.
That stuff can go fast...I had to grow a tree out back that sprouts money just to keep up with my addiction and experiments on my car.

volkdent
March 4th 2005, 00:54
My $0.02, do the fenders and a regular decklid and regular hood, the recessed ones don't do it for me. I say do the those parts because the weight you'll save will be considerable because it is VERY light, and weight is everything on a light car. I don't like the running boards, do the aluminum, light, strong, and good looking(the fiberglass ones are also too wide to get in and out of comfortably), the tail is just silly, I'm on the fence about the dam, because while it will do plenty for high speed stability, fiberglass ALWAYS cracks when it hits a curb, very rare to see an old fiberglass dam, and the look is just so-so to me.

Jason

Uber Affe
March 4th 2005, 02:07
I have to agree on the recessed plate decklid...while it's not too much...it DOES take up a bit more spae in the engine bay. I had considered it myself a few times, but the 1303 4vent lid is really most appropriate...a small spoiler above the rear window would do the trick in the rear...see carbonjoe.net
As for the rest...I have the "finned"/"grilled" style(not sure what they are called really)Aluminum foot rails and anyone who sees them tries to buy them off me so I guess they are pretty good! heheh

been wondering about that smooth hood too, but I really like the old look of the original better...=)

DrDuktayp
March 4th 2005, 02:29
Okay, that takes off about a grand in parts.

Thanks guys,
DrD

hybrid_john
March 4th 2005, 05:36
First off what are your tastes? Do you really like the items you listed before?

If you do than go ahead and use them....who care what other people think about your car, unless you are using it to sponser your company ,Im guessing? go with whats tasteful and flows together well, keep it simple yet stylish, and people will love it. Coming up with a great looking car can take some time, if you really put your head into it! :rolleyes:

Kafer_Mike
March 4th 2005, 08:58
I'm with 'dent. I'd stick with the FG fenders, hood and standard engine lid (no recess). For running boards, I'd go paintable metal or carbon fiber ones. Just my $.02. Do whatworks for you. In the end, you're the one that has to drive it. .. ;)

DrDuktayp
March 4th 2005, 13:05
There is a VERY nice GL Beetle in the February issue of VW Scene. I'd like my Super to look like it body wise. I'm thinking the "beehive" tail lights for the rear. I haven't decided about the front signals.

The Bug in the magazine has the wider fenders and I fell in love with the look.

I would like to come up with a tasteful way of having the logos (like they do on NASCAR) on the car. I was thinking of Silver paint with our store logo at the bottom rear portion of the door and our 'sponsors' logos going up the rear quarter panel following the curve of the fnder. Our web address would be just above the running boards across the quarter panel and door.

I know that this is against the clean look that I am after but there aren't ANY nice bugs here and it WILL get lots of attention. Might even drive it in the annual parade -wink-

DrDuktayp

Uber Affe
April 1st 2005, 00:45
Sounds like you already have a good plan in order.
I see noting wronng with doing up yer buggy with logos...
I remember a time when there dozens of bugs all over town with ads and company logos. It is a boon for the car to think that it's nice enough to represent it's owner's living. =)

Anyway... Sounds like you got the workings a of a nice little car.

There are even ways of having non permanent logos attatched to your vehicle incase you just need a change of pace too.
Look into custom sign shop appliques and the like.
I wouldn't go magnets only because I've heard som weird tales about what they do to your paint.