PDA

View Full Version : Can you say A-L-U-M-I-N-I-U-M???

Uber Affe
March 5th 2005, 00:51
I've posted about this guy before when i was considering a dash from him.
He does Simply amazing custom work and Is located in Austin, Texas which is just a couple hours drive form me. Anyway, I happened to notice an article in Hot VW's recently w/ him in it. OK, Who is "He?"

Check out "His" stuff at this link.

http://www.bigwigracecars.com/productsmain.htm

I especially like those door sills! nice....

Kafer_Mike
March 5th 2005, 11:46
Awesome work, especially from a guy that learned the craft on his own. I've been eyeing the door sills and battery hold-down. :agree:

hybrid_john
March 6th 2005, 04:20
nice metal work...the guy is talented....but Im not too partial to aluminum door panels or dashes :rolleyes:

Racelook
March 6th 2005, 12:29
I find his skills verry verry goodd.. Nice stuff he made

Wiebrand

bigwigracecars
February 23rd 2006, 12:55
Cool. Thanks for the kind words.

If anyone wants to talk about some design ideas for road race looking aluminum interiors, let me know. Not everything I do is for drag racers.

Superbug Scott
February 23rd 2006, 13:30
My firewall is due to be replaced.

I never thought about a metal one until I just read this. I'm thinking it would look nice, but I'm worried about heat retained in the engine compartment and the added weight. Vaid conserns? :confused:

Is the firewall different in a Super?

bigwigracecars
February 23rd 2006, 13:57
They're very light (probably less than 5lb, as a full set of door and quarter panels only weighs 7lb), because they're aluminum. Here's one I did a while back.

I think the Super engine compartment is same as a Std.

For the firewall, you'd probably want to paint it, clear it, or powder coat it. I say that just because of the heat inside the engine compartment. Aluminum will oxidize over time if not coated. For the race car interiors, we just keep spray wax on them (like Pledge), but I don't think Pledge would stay on very long in the engine heat. The heat won't hurt the firewall, but it wouldn't stay looking good without some coating or some routine cleaning.

http://www.bigwigracecars.com/products/firewall%201.jpg

samcat
February 23rd 2006, 14:41
You wanna get em anodized ;)

Sam C

volkdent
February 23rd 2006, 15:20
Just ordered a set of your doorsills, can't wait.

Jason

Doogie S
February 24th 2006, 11:15
bigwigracecars,

Any plans on doing some Ghia door sills or firewall kits?

I had a look at some of the competitors kits, but nothing they offer seems to fit the bill.

I would like something a bit custom but not "in you face". The route I’m going with the car is more street rod / Germanlook hybrid, if that makes any sense to anyone. Custom gauges, ghost flames, billet wheels, big engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc…

Anyway, if you are planning on doing door sills and firewalls for a Ghia, I would definitely be interested.

Cheers,

Doug

bigwigracecars
February 24th 2006, 13:42
Yes, I could make both, but haven't yet. I have the entire rear clip off a Ghia here to use for mock-up of things like that, but haven't had the time to do a set yet for advertising. If you're interested, email me and we can work out the details. For new products, it would probably be about 6 weeks out though. I'm working on a new Pro-Stock car right now that I have to finish before I can do anything other than the products I already have for sale.

Karmann
February 24th 2006, 15:59
Yes, I could make both, but haven't yet. I have the entire rear clip off a Ghia here to use for mock-up of things like that, but haven't had the time to do a set yet for advertising. If you're interested, email me and we can work out the details. For new products, it would probably be about 6 weeks out though. I'm working on a new Pro-Stock car right now that I have to finish before I can do anything other than the products I already have for sale.

I could be interested in a Ghia firewall set also.
Do you do firewall and sides only or is it possible to have the wheel well part and the floor done also?
Any idea how much?

Regards
Morten

Doogie S
February 28th 2006, 18:58
While we are posting wish list items, I wouldn't mind if mine had the Karmann Ghia script in them, but that may be too much to ask.

Also, I would like to be able to remove the side ones easily, as I was thinking of hiding the battery, stereo capacitors, stereo fuses, remote actuators, etc... behind them. :p Or maybe a cut out so that I can view these items behind them. Yeah, that’s the ticket. :D Or better yet, a removable cover so they can be hidden when I want to hide them or remove the covers to show off the stuff.. :laugh:

I'm babbling... sorry. :o

D

bigwigracecars
March 1st 2006, 00:06
Yeah, the Ghia script wouldn't be possible for me. Most of the other stuff would though - removable Ghia side panels, for example. I'm a bit backed up with work now, so when I get caught up, I'll try making some Ghia pieces so that you guys can see what they'd look like.

Doogie S
March 3rd 2006, 14:47
very cool. :cool:

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Cheers,

Doug