PDA

View Full Version : fiber glass custom parts

Martice
October 25th 2002, 07:39
Hello-

Since I saw that this section is totally dedicated to carbon fiber :) I thought I should share this "fiber glass stuff" with you.

A while ago I've decided to build my own unique fiber glass parts for my bug.I have a good friend who is building/repairing fiber glass parts for some national rallye teams and super-bike teams and he is a professional.I myself followed the art school for 4 years(design and sculpture) and can provide him with the ideas and 3D projects.So in big lines we can make anything from fiber glass, any shape and any size.

I am currently working at a porsche style dash for 1300/1302(not 1303 yet) and at an engine hood with stainless steel grille.Also a porsche style engine hood is in the plans.

Also running boards, fenders, and custom front hood.

So if anyone is interested in anything, like the parts listed above or any other parts let me know and we can make them for you.

Also prices will be significantly lower than any shops that sell fiber glass parts, at the same quality or even better :) (I hope better). Also shipping is cheap,even to US($4 or $5/kg), Canada or Australia.For Europe for instance is around $1.5 or 2 $/kg.

Pls let me know what would you like, ideas, etc. any other suggestions would help!

thanks-

hot66
October 25th 2002, 09:29
stainless steel girls, don't know if I like the sound of them ;)

'I am currently working at a porsche style dash for 1300/1302(not 1303 yet) and at an engine hood with stainless steel girls.Also a porsche style engine cover(like the one that silver bug in the AL galleries has) is in the plans.'

Martice
October 25th 2002, 11:25
(sorry about my English):o ...

..its grille right? or something like that.Its a stuff that is used on the race cars spoilers here and it looks quite nice...

-I wish some ss girls were in this equation-But of course I can make fiber glass girls if you want me to...;)

Martin

NYBugman1972
October 25th 2002, 13:43
If you made a fiberglass Kamei Air-Dam copy for a good price, I'd buy it.

Martice
October 25th 2002, 15:04
Yes, I guess I could make a spoiler similar to the Kamei one but it wont be an exact copy as I do not have the original.If someone helps with some measurements it can be done quite accurate.It will be difficult as its an aerodynamic factor and should be very precise and simetric.I'll see what I can do.

Martin

effvee
November 9th 2002, 21:16
Hi, I would like to order a front air dam for my 1302. Also how much would it cost for a rear spoiler that would aid in down force. I saw one on aircooled.net that came in kit form that would look good but I got no response as to any effects to downforce. Now here's the spin, bugpak sell a fiberglass air scoop for the rear vents. My need is to have the inlet scoop and spoiler made as one. And please not that big whale tale. How much would it cost? So I need a front air dam and also the rear scoop/spoiler, let me know if you can do it.

Martice
November 10th 2002, 16:31
The "Kamei" replika air-dam for 1302/1303 can be made.It will be an exact replika as it will be made after the original kamei spoiler.
I'll tell you the price in a few days.My quess is something between $65-$75.

As for the rear scoop/spoiler I'll have to do some research.Its not an easy job. :)

PS: NYBugman1972, I guess you want the air-dam for your 1302 right?

take care,

Martin

effvee
November 13th 2002, 05:40
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I have two 1302s that I will be upgrading them to 1303 for a 944 brake system. As soon you can, please get back with me about a total price for two complete system of spoilers and rear scoop/spoilers. My goal is to have the rear both spoiler and a scoope. I'm not sure if you understand, but Bugpak make a rear scoop, which will aid in letting air into the engine compartment. Also while this part does this function I would like for it also to be a spoiler. Please not too large . The one that aircool.net has looks the part. Will you be able to envision this? I don't have anything made up to refer to, it would be two into one for the rear window area.

Martice
November 16th 2002, 11:43
Hey effvee,

I sent you an Email regarding the parts that you need.If you need more info you can allways Email me or reply here :)

Martin

Martice
November 16th 2002, 12:31
BTW: the Air-Dam will be $70.

Martin

Pillow
November 17th 2002, 23:35
Speaking of air-dams.... An English company used to make one for the split window busses. Any ideas on something like that?

I could probably make one myself out of a flexible plastic if need be.

No rush at all, but a future thing I need to deal with once I put a big motor in her that actually gets the old girl moving on the superslabs :P

Take Care,

Martice
November 19th 2002, 04:13
We can talk about it and something nice may came out.If you have any ideas feel free to share them :)

Martin

effvee
November 19th 2002, 05:37
Hi, if you would try again to e-mail me for prices. Thanks

Martice
November 19th 2002, 08:37
Originally posted by effvee
Hi, if you would try again to e-mail me for prices. Thanks

I E-mailed you again.If you did not recieve the mail send me one at martinchirita@yahoo.com and I'll reply :)

take care,

Martin

Wally
December 10th 2002, 10:21
Martin,
I just saw your thread. I would be interested in some original replica's of the front hood and engine lid, because of the weigth saving potential of it (doors?). It would be for a 1975 1303.
Walter

Martice
December 13th 2002, 08:27
Hi Walter,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I want to make a stock engine lid.I had a custom one made a while ago but the mold was distroyed.I hope the stock engine lid will be ready in January.I'll build a custom one for myself..I need some extra air to flow on my intercooler.
The front hood is a little more complicated.We we'll try to build one, but it will be a 1302.That is when I'll have the time, I am so busy right now at work that I do not even have the time to finish my engine.

Take care,

Martin

i heart vw
December 16th 2002, 05:26
what about that kamei front spoiler? price? when?

vujade
December 16th 2002, 11:24
i heart vw

Lee at LA Performance has already developed Kamei style spoilers in both glas fiber & carbon fiber...

la performance (http://www.laperformance.co.uk/)

Martice
December 16th 2002, 11:39
Hi,

The air-dam will be ready at the end of the month, sorry for the delay but some unexpected personal problems came in and I just couldnt find the time to look into other things.
The price will be $70(USD)

Marry Christmas!

Martin

Martice
January 22nd 2003, 18:47
Hello guys,

The air-dam in finally ready.It came out very nice and very strong.
I'll post some pics in the coming days(probably tomorrow).
thanks for the interest!

best regards,

Martin Chirita

Martice
January 24th 2003, 18:40
Here are some pics.

Martice
January 24th 2003, 18:41
Here is another view.

Let me what you think!

martinchirita@yahoo.com

lightning bug
January 24th 2003, 20:37
Looking good Martin!! Do they mount the same as the Kamei? I'd like to see a pic of it on a car. Is that in the near future? I'm definitely interested. Good Job.

Martice
January 25th 2003, 04:45
Yes, they mount exactly as the Kamei, I'll supply all the munting harware need.
I'll take a pic of one mounted on the car soon.
Thanks for the interest!

lightning bug
January 25th 2003, 13:31
Looking forward to it. Thanks Again!

super vw
January 26th 2003, 01:49
RAD!!!:silly: so its only going to be 70 bucks? how many are you plaing on making?

later
Jonathan

Martice
January 26th 2003, 05:58
This is the picture I like most.

As you can see, the airdam is in 'production'.

Tim
January 26th 2003, 11:00
Hello Martice,
If you are making engine lids, I will be very interested too. I am looking for a kind of race version lid with stock looking but very very light in weight (single skin?). Do you think you will make it? It will be for a 1303.
Thanks
Tim

Martice
January 26th 2003, 11:56
How light?
I can only make it without the original grilles...
regards,

super vw
January 26th 2003, 19:07
Martice, what is involved with mounting one to a 74 super that has the europa bumpers mounted on?

and im guessing shipping from romania to the US isnt cheap?

thanks
Jonathan

vujade
January 26th 2003, 19:18
Martice

those spoilers are looking good :)

Martice
January 26th 2003, 20:00
Hi,

I am working on a deal for shipping at the post office right now.I may get shipping for a spoiler at around $20-$30(USD), insured, by airmail, 7-14 days...This week I'll tell you for sure.
:p

I'll post tomorrow all the mounting instructions, its really easy, you'll see.

later,

Martice
January 26th 2003, 20:03
Originally posted by vujade
Martice

those spoilers are looking good :)

Thanks vujade!

super vw
January 26th 2003, 20:03
thanks Martice!

vujade
January 26th 2003, 21:41
Martice are those for Supers or Standard beetles?

Or do you have different ones for each?

i heart vw
January 27th 2003, 02:43
Question...you said that they mount like the Kamei ones but those of us (or just me) that don't know how that mounts...how does it mount?...and would it fit my 74 super?...can't wait to get one!...tim

Martice
January 27th 2003, 05:41
Hello,
This are the mounting instructions for super beetles- 1302 and 1303.
(I will try to supply all the mounting parts and mounting instructions for with each spoiler)

Mounting parts:

2 bolts M 5 X 20 mm with permanently attached washer
2 washers 5.3mm
2 lock washers 5.3mm
2 nuts M 5
4 rubber discs 5 X 20 mm, 5 mm thick.

Mounting:

Spoiler fits vehicles produced up to 7/74 and after 8/74.Use outer holes for vehicles produced up to 7/74- inner holes for vehicles produced after 8/74.Production tolerances may make it necessary to file out the holes.

1.Attach spoiler using bumper bolts. Spoiler is positioned in the bumper, between the bumper and mounts on 1303 produced after 8/74.
2.Drill through holes present in spoiler into the lower edge of the fenders using a 5.5mm dia. bit. Align if required.
3.Attach spoiler to fender with bolts-washers and lock washers, and nuts from rear. Position rubber discs between fender and spoiler.Use 1 or 2 discs as required for adaptation.

I hope it helps!

Martice
January 27th 2003, 05:48
Originally posted by vujade
Martice are those for Supers or Standard beetles?

Or do you have different ones for each?

Yes, the spoilers are only for Supers-1302 and 1303.
I have tryed to make one adapt(with fiberglass work) on a Standard beetle but its very very tight.I don't think it will work.
It was very hard to make this Super beetle spoiler straight, with a good mold...

later,

Tim
January 27th 2003, 06:32
Hi Martice,

Lighter the better with the decklid, I guess something less than 3kg will be good. Under 2kg will be even better. 1kg would be perfect but probably impossible.

The strength of the decklid is not a concern as long as it's got the shape of the late model with vents to allow more cooling air to the engine (no license plate light housing of course).

I think a single layer of fibre will be good enough. I will mount it to the body with hood pins. So, reinforce section for hinges is not necessary, I suppose.

Would it be difficult to make something like that?

Thanks
Tim

vujade
January 27th 2003, 09:41
I am also interested in a lighter decklid.
I do not want any vents in it though.

Martice
January 27th 2003, 18:51
I belive it can be done under 3Kg, probablly at around 2Kg.
The problem is the stock vents...I can make it without the vents, with some custom vents maybe(thats for you Tim)Do you really need the stock vents?

It should be strong anyway.

Tim
January 28th 2003, 01:27
It's great that you can make a light version decklid. With or without vents is not a big issue. I actually like more the smooth look without the vents but vents are just functional for racing. If it can save you from extra work (hence extra cost to me maybe), I will be happy to have it without the vents. I can make some cutouts myself at the license plate area if necessary.

I will buy more than one (maybe two or three, for spares in case of damaged during racing) depending on the costs and whether you are willing to make more. When you are ready with the price, please let me know.

Thanks
Tim

Martice
January 29th 2003, 09:31
lightning bug,

I've took some pics of the spoiler mouned on the car today.Check them out!

PS:Please excuse the ugly rusted bumper...

Martice
January 29th 2003, 09:37
the pics are not so good but I could not move the car outside because the shifter and all are out and it is in gear...+it is raining..:silly:

If you have any other questions please ask!

regards,

Martice
January 29th 2003, 09:48
Tim,

I understand that you want the decklid without the mounting sistem(that is on the back).

Vujade,

How would you like it, with or without the sistem?
(with the sistem will be more expensive and more heavy)

Let me know so I can estimate a price!

vujade
January 29th 2003, 10:13
I want it with a mounting system. I will use my hinges...

Tim
January 29th 2003, 10:24
Correct Martice, I will mount the decklid with some racing car hood pins. So no mountings for the hinges are needed.

Thanks
Tim

super vw
January 29th 2003, 15:10
so martice, did you find out what the total price would be for shipping to the US?

Thanks!
Jonathan:)

Martice
January 29th 2003, 17:55
Hi guys,
I managed to get shipping cost to US- $22.Thats the best I could do.(that is for the spoiler and a big box :) )

Shipping will be by airmail, 7-14 days, insured.

Sandeep
January 29th 2003, 18:10
Martice,

Nice work !

I am REALLY, REALLY looking for a front spoiler for a standard. Is this a possibility ? This is the last piece I need to finish my project.

Thanks

Sandeep

Martice
January 29th 2003, 18:21
Yes, I want to make a spoiler for standards, I hope I'll make one soon...

super vw
January 29th 2003, 22:23
Martice, that dosent sound like that bad for shipping.

Thanks alot!
Jonathan ;)

zen
January 29th 2003, 22:43
i may be interested in one for a standard also, martice. i am not running a bumper though so really need to see how it would look without a bumper covering the transition. let us know how you are progressing.

Martice
January 30th 2003, 07:16
Zen,

The spoiler will never look good without a bumper.
But as soon as I'll make one for standard I'll do some experimentation and maybe we'll be able to give the spoiler a shape that will look good without the front bumper.The holding points will have to be adapted also.

Tim
January 30th 2003, 12:03
Hello Martice,

Your front spolier is very nice. I am also interested to buy one. Do you think I can make a cutout in the middle to accomodate an oil cooler (a must for a race car)? Would it affect the strength and the mounting system of the spoiler?

Cheers
Tim

red74super
January 30th 2003, 13:05
I want one of the spoilers if they are still avaliable, email me. They look great that is so outstanding work.

Peace,
Thomas

zen
January 30th 2003, 13:34
Originally posted by Tim
Hello Martice,

Your front spolier is very nice. I am also interested to buy one. Do you think I can make a cutout in the middle to accomodate an oil cooler (a must for a race car)? Would it affect the strength and the mounting system of the spoiler?

Cheers
Tim

should work tim. check out the white bug on the cover of the last Volksworld if you can. he just cut remelle-style holes (2 rows of 4 i think) across where the oil cooler is. if done right (not over done), it will not weaken the piece.

Martice
January 30th 2003, 13:46
Originally posted by Tim
Hello Martice,

Cheers
Tim

Thank you!

Sure you can cutout in the middle for an intercooler, the spoiler is very solid but if you want me to, I can strength with some fiberglass in the area the intercooler will be, but I do not think is necessary.
I can offer to do the cutting for you, but it is much BETTER for you to cut it yourself with the intercooler mounted.

Just let me know the size of the intercooler so we can start from there :)

It will mount the same anyway.

PS: the spoiler weights 1,285Kg, thats 3.344 pounds!

Later,

Martice
January 30th 2003, 14:12
Originally posted by red74super
I want one of the spoilers if they are still avaliable, email me. They look great that is so outstanding work.

Thanks!

I emailed you, if you do not recieve my mail you can allways email me at martinchirita@yahoo.com

regards,

lightning bug
January 30th 2003, 18:56
Hey Martice. Your pics were taken too far away, but I think I made out my name on one of those. When are you planning on shipping out? I have another guy interested in an '02 and another for a standard. All being shipped to Philly. Let me know. THANKS!!!

Martice
January 30th 2003, 19:15
lightning bug,

The pics are not best...the spoiler seems small :) As soon as the rain stops I'll spend some time with my bug, take it outside, and shoot some good pictures.

Anyway, I can send anytime starting next week(Monday :) )

Please contact me by Email at

martinchirita@yahoo.com

so we can resolve the details.Thanks!

lightning bug
January 30th 2003, 19:26
I was kidding about the pics dude! Bad joke I guess. I'll be in touch.

Martice
January 30th 2003, 19:52
lol.Now I see. :silly:

No, really, the pics are not good, I know.I'll do my work on the car when the rain stops anyway. :p

Tim
January 30th 2003, 22:18
Thanks Martice,

No problem for me to cut it myself.

Once you have the price for the decklid, I will order everything altogether.

Take care
Tim

Martice
February 12th 2003, 16:39
Sorry, there will be no engine deck lid for now.I hope to finally make one in the comming months.

If you guys have any other suggestions feel free to ask!

Thanks for the interest!

effvee
June 1st 2003, 19:24
Hi I've just got back on the net since around March. When last I talked I was going to place a order for two front spoiler. If you still have them please respond with a price and the turn-around time for delivery. Also I have not as yet gotten a e-mail accout but I got speed now so if you would, reply in this post.

Thank

P.S. I received a virus that cost me a motherboard (AGP port)
so all may want to check out updates for viruses, I learned the hard way

Martice
June 2nd 2003, 12:46
Hi effvee,

Nice to see you back. :)

For the spoilers, price is $70/each+ shipping.This means $140 for the two spoilers+ $40 shipping.Shipping is insured, by airmail, around 14 days delivery term.
Let me know!

Martin

Sandeep
June 2nd 2003, 14:04
Hi Martin,

I sent you an email a while back showing you interest in a spoler for my '74 standard.

Are you going to / have you produced these yet ? I am REALLY interested in one and have cash in hand for one.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Sandeep

Martice
June 2nd 2003, 15:23
Hi there Sandeep,
The fact is that I still have superbeetle spoilers on stock from the last attempt.This happened even if, as you can see in this topic, it was requested by many, the price is right and the quality is not bad at all IMHO.
But, since I know I can rely on your word, I will look thought my schedule for this month and will let you know for sure if I'll have the time to make these spoilers.
Thank you very much for the interest.

Best regards,

Martin

Sandeep
June 2nd 2003, 16:32
Thanks for the reply Martin. I will wait till you have the time and will put the money aside in the meantime. PLEASE let me know when you can produce one for me :)

Sandeep