PDA

View Full Version : What snags iwill I encounter mounting a 915?

DORIGTT
August 1st 2002, 19:47
I purchased a 1979 911 SC that was smacked in the front in order to get the fan/alternator assembly, guages, and 915 transmission.

I'd like to install the tranny but I have a few questions.

Why aren't more people installing these not using hydraulic clutch actuation?

Whats the easiest way to deal with the shifter woes? I'm thinking of cutting 2 access holes in the center spine and using a pair of universal joints (Borgeson or the like) to link the shifter in it's "normal" location with the trans.

I heard that this tranny is supposed to weigh alot more than the IRS tranny I removed. What do those people consider to be heavy?

Would it suffice to use mounting simlar to Porsche with the nose secured and the engine cradle securing the rear but with no center mount? Or should I find a way to use the factory IRS tranny mount in the bellhouse area? I'm using a T-4 engine.

I look forward to hearing some input on this aspect of my project.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin J Hale

DORIGTT
August 13th 2002, 16:47
Any takers?

I'm sure someone here has done this so c'mon help a brother out?

:)

Alex
August 13th 2002, 16:50
We will have an article soon by Steve Arndt. It covers the install of a Porsche 5 spd tranny in an IRS pan.

Maybe some others have some input because I can not really help you on this subject.

Alex

vujade
August 13th 2002, 17:33
cant be any help, but I was wondering what you paid for the 911?

SilverBullet
August 15th 2002, 04:37
Does anyone sells a complete 901/915 kit for beetle? It would be great with the whole kit and instructions n instructions on body work!

ricola
August 15th 2002, 10:18
I can't be that much help as I installed my 915 raised up in the chassis. I think that it is longer than a 901/11 adn it probably hasn't gto a thick enough section in the bellhousng to use the Bug type cradle rubbers and drilling through, you could get pads welded onto the bellhousing and then drill those.

I used the 911 clutch and the standard cable was nearly long enough, just a bit of lengthening of the pedal arm.

Rich

DORIGTT
August 19th 2002, 20:26
I bought a 1979 911 SC that ended up having a little incident between my front fender, hood and bumper and that of a nice lil SUV.

Parted the car out to get the tranny and fan for my Ghia project.

kdanie
August 29th 2002, 15:56
I bought a 915 to install in my '68 with a type 4, here is what I found. My CV joints were 930 size (not all are), about $500 extra for CVs/axles/stub shafts. I would need a 912E flywheel/clutch/release bearing, hard to find the flywheel and expensive but possible with patience and $$. Mounting requires the pads welded on to the bellhousing for the type 1 mounts. The clutch works backwards from a type 1 or 901, the release bearing is pulled away from the engine to disengage the clutch rather than being pushed in like a type 1 or 901. Check the shifter thread on how I delt with that problem.
I decided to sell my 915 and buy a 901 (actually a 902 from a 912) to save some money and pain.
I hope this helps some.
ken