PDA

View Full Version : Kerscher/CSP Vented Rotors???

vujade
October 26th 2002, 21:42
Do they widen the front track any?

I am concerned because they are for a 71 1302 & as you all already know, they are already wider in the front track then the rear track.

Alex
October 27th 2002, 08:03
I think the Kerschers widen the track by 3mm on each side.
Not a 100% sure though.

Alex

vujade
October 27th 2002, 10:13
Alex, if that the case, I dont think it would be that much of a problem.

In fact, if they were up to 10mm wider, I probably wouldnt have to run a spacer in the front

Steve C
October 28th 2002, 08:26
Hi

My owners manual says that the front track on a 1302 is 1387 mm with drum brakes and 1391 mm with disc brakes. I would expect that you would end up with the same track as a disc brake beetle.

Steve C

vujade
October 28th 2002, 09:15
my only concern is the Kersher brakes are vented instead of solid which makes them thicker then stock...???

greenterbo
October 28th 2002, 11:51
I am in the process of installing my CSP front brakes. I am running 16" Porsche Boxster wheels. I am not sure the width but the do fit under the fenders. I am going to have to change to either the sport springs or the Maxxstrut from Topline. Wheels/tires rub on the springs. I am not sure if the vented rotors change the track width or if it is just the rotor surface is thicker to accommodate the vents. When I get it all mounted I will try to post some photos with measurements. It may be a week or two though.

Tim
October 29th 2002, 11:01
I have the Kerscher vented disc brake kit with CB dropped spindles and 6" Fuch wheels. The tyres just rubbed against the stock fender arches a little bit when hard braking and crossing heavy bump that I needed to do some trimming at the arches. Before the conversion, I was having the stock spindle/drums with 5mm spacers and 6" Fuch wheels. I didn't actually measure the difference but obviously the vented discs are sticking out a little bit. I guess the vented discs plus CB spindles widen the track about 10mm each side comparing with the stock drums.
Tim

greenterbo
October 30th 2002, 00:28
This is for 1302s only . . . The Topline disc brake bracket will NOT work with the CSP (Kersher) vented disc brake kit. Rotor rubs against the bracket. :doh: I will post a picture tomorrow. More to come. . .

greenterbo
October 30th 2002, 10:44
Here is one of a few photos of the Topline bracket with the Kersher (CSP) vented rotor. As you can see the rotor rubs on the bracket. :disappoin

Alex
October 30th 2002, 10:57
Is the caliper bracket bolted on to the spindle?
If yes get the part that hits the rotor milled down by 1 or 2mm. The bracket seems to be thick enough. Have it follow the contur of the disk and it should work.

Alex

zydeco
October 30th 2002, 13:35
I have a 1302 as well and last weekend tried to do the install of the Kerscher kit that Greenterbo is using. So far the problems are the inner bearings supplied with the kit are 0.001" undersized, the rotor hits the topline bracket and the inside half of the caliper hits the inboard rotor face.

Obviously the bearings have a simple solution - a different sized set cured that problem.

Both the rotor hitting the bracket and the caliper hitting the rotor can be solved by moving the bracket further in - in other words milling the bracket on the stub axle to bracket mating face! If you mill the rotor side of the bracket you will STILL have problems with the caliper hitting the rotor.

I'm talking to William at CSP-USA and Jon at Topline about this. I've also ordered a eurospec set of used stub axles to eliminate the bracket (and hopefully any interference issues), mainly because I think it will be a cleaner installation. If this doesn't work, milling the stub axle side of the bracket will be my solution.

Not that I wish install problems on anybody Greenterbo but I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Are you talking to William about this stuff as well? <edit: never mind Greenterbo, I just checked my email and got your message. Let me know what you find out. Don't give up quite yet though. Victory is within reach! ;) >

Alex
October 30th 2002, 13:55
The Kerscher front kit comes with washers for B/J beams that you have to put between the spindle and the caliper to get the correct spacing. Do not know if that is the same for Super kits.

Alex

zydeco
October 30th 2002, 14:23
Yes, the super kits come with the spacers as well - about 4mm according to William at CSP-USA. However, the washers are meant to go between the calipers and the caliper bracket, not between the bracket and the spindle. Regardless, we need to move the bracket further inboard, not outboard. Once this is done, the caliper spacers shouldn't be neccessary.

Alex, I'm not clear about what you mean by putting the spacers between the caliper and the spindle? Does the caliper mount directly to the spindle on a B/J suspension? I'm not very familiar with B/J bugs as I've only owned supers.

Brian

Alex
October 30th 2002, 14:31
Yup, the caliper mounts directly to the spindle on a B/J front beam setup.

Alex

greenterbo
October 31st 2002, 00:21
Still working the problem out but if you order the steel bracket from Topline rather than the aluminum you are in good shape.

SuperRSi
November 2nd 2002, 12:10
When you get it completed, can you post what parts combo is necessary for the Boxster 16" wheels, CSP brake combo. I am looking to install this same set-up on my 79 convert dailey driver. I have the tires/wheels and will wait to purchase the rest until I hear what fits.

Thanks,
Randy

greenterbo
November 4th 2002, 00:41
Once we get it all fitted up I am sure one of us will post. What rear brake set up will you going with? Unless you plan to use a large engine non-vented should be fine I would think. Anyone else have anything to add?