PDA

View Full Version : 5x130 drums

zen
April 5th 2005, 21:04
can anyone help the GL.com main dude out of a bind? i went to upgrade my Ghia (daily driver) to rear disc, took the easy way out with a CB bolt on kit only to find out it wasn't the easy way out. found out the hard way that a PO had recessed the bearing cages into the trailing arms to fit the 7" Fuchs. so the rotors hit the trailing arm. no easy way to fix it without having to change up rims. so...i am ditching the plan and will end up eating a couple hundred bucks. :bawling:

long story short. i am hoping someone is looking to sell a set of T1 drums with the Porsche pattern. mine were shot and good example why i prefer not to redrill. each had a broken stud. i would prefer blanks drilled to 5x130, but will settle for redrills if someone has some for sale.

let me know.

flat
April 6th 2005, 23:29
Zen,

Maybe you can put a spacer between the rotor hub and bearing, that'll push the rotor out a little. It'll have to be a hardened and ground spacer. You can modify another inner bearing race. In order to get enough thread engagement for the axle nut, you may have to then trim the snout of the hub. The caliper would have to move accordingly.

Take a look, if it's not hitting too bad that may be an option.

If it's not an option to mess with the CB stuff, then I guess it's 944NA time. :)

Easy,
Lanner

zen
April 7th 2005, 18:13
i think i have worked through all of the modification options to make the kit work. the catch to all is that they are going to put the track back near stock and the PO did all that to JUST BARELY fit the Fuchs. so i would be looking at having to procur high offset rims to fit something back under. and since it has a narrowed beam, i then end up with clearance issues in the front (since there are no Fuchs in high offset and i would have to replace the fronts then to have matching rims and no modern rims have high offset for the rear and low for the front unless i go total custom). i am trying to not dump a bunch of money into this car seeing what i have in it already and the biggest issue...this is my daily driver which is leaving me high and dry. the van is off the road for a while and i don't want to have to daily my bug, but looking that way.

just tried to have the old drums turned, but they are already below specs. so looks like i have to hunt down some drums and change everything back over for now. then regroup and think of other options.

Mikey
April 10th 2005, 13:07
I noticed this on thesamba and thought about you looking for them. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=166082

My suggestion for your problem. Some narrowed trailing arms that will work with the disk brakes. Aircooled.net sells a set. And if the trailing arms move the wheels in too much, you can always use spacers to move the wheels back out. Just my 2 cents. It was also an option I found for myself, since I'm building a Ghia right now. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

zen
April 10th 2005, 15:34
Thanks. those are on the way to my house already by chance. :D if i wasn't trying to be a cheap bastard and talk a guy down a few bucks, i could have had a set for half the price. he sold them during email negotiations though. oh well. these are new at least.

i have everything back together with the old stuff (except new shoes) for now to keep it on the road. we readdress it all this week when these come in.

thanks for the tip on the arms. i will look into it. not sure how much more i will tweak the car though. trying to stay away from it and concentrate on the van which is overdue for some attention and still many finishing touches on the bug. also getting that itch to be back in a new car. i know myself good enough that when i have this feeling i am less than a year away from being in one.

Mikey
April 10th 2005, 18:19
I'd be happy to take that Ghia off your hands :D If it gets too much for you to handle.

The only problem is I don't have any money. :rolleyes: :laugh: Good luck with the van.