PDA

View Full Version : LED summary please

rustbucket
April 25th 2005, 19:39
I've spent the last few minutes perusing the LED threads, and I have a few questions.

1. Can I just take the light bulbs out of my stock speedo and swap in LED bulbs. I'm thinking not, but why not ask?

2. I'm thinking of using some LED fixtures under the dash for interior light. What do I need besides the fixture?

I'm electrically incompetent. But if you guys could give me a recipe list, I can figure the rest of it out.

NO_H2O
April 25th 2005, 19:45
I bought some replcment LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com they are a direct replacment for the VW/VDO bulbs. The ones in the VDO guages(oil press, oil temp, etc) are brighter than the ones in my 914 guages. I feel this is due to the fact that the VDO guages have a white housing and the 914 guages have a black housing. I still need to pop the 914 guages apart and paint the inside of the cases white, but I think it will make them as bright as the small VDO guages. Then I can turn them all down a bit with the dimmer.

rustbucket
April 25th 2005, 21:18
Did you use the 3 or 5mm bulbs? And which intensity did you use?

Thanks

NO_H2O
April 26th 2005, 05:15
The BA7s are the direct replacement for the VW/Porsche guages. The small VDO gauges could be one of 3 different stlyles.

rustbucket
July 6th 2005, 21:12
Finally got around to installing the LED's. I purchased the BA7's from superbrightleds.com as you suggested NOH2O. Problem is, they don't work. The regular wheat style bulbs work fine, but when I swap in the LED's, they don't light up. Is there something else I need to do?

NO_H2O
July 6th 2005, 21:21
Sounds like you got a bad one(or more). Try to email them and see if you can exchange them.

BWE
July 7th 2005, 10:02
Rustbucket,
Try to turn the bulbs around. LEDs will only flow juice one direction. If you have just one in a series backwards none will work.
Cheers,
Dave

krems
November 14th 2005, 19:57
anything further on this rustbucket? i want to do something like this in mine...

Uber Affe
November 14th 2005, 22:59
I gotta 12v car.
I see 6v led's and 24v led's...so which ones are we supposed to use?
I'm refering to the superbright website.
??"??

volkdent
November 14th 2005, 23:31
Probably 6V then, and you will use resistors to take your 12V down to 6V for brake lights, and then down to probably 3V for running. I don't know what the resistor impedences need to be. I figured them out before, but I forgot now.

Jason