PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate super beetle strut bar!

flat
April 25th 2005, 22:51
Our dedication to innovative design has lead us to develop our own super beetle strut bar. This is the stiffest bar on the market (atleast this side of the pond). No sloppy rod ends, no flexy stamped plates and definately no shimming. Easy 10 minute install.

Pics and details here:

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/suspension.htm

Lanner

petevw
April 26th 2005, 03:38
Hey Lanner,

For my '72 super:
-strut bar
-heavy duty tie rods
-control arm bushings & bolts
Any spring T.O. discounts? :D

Call me when you got it done.

Later,
Pete

vw1303
April 26th 2005, 15:18
Sweet. That's the same design i used which I copied from Heigo. How much does the whole thing weigh? I made mine out of aluminum.

petevw
April 26th 2005, 16:16
I made mine out of aluminum.

There's a idea!

Hey Lanner, wanna make mine from aluminum? I can supply the material (AL T6) if thats a problem.

flat
April 26th 2005, 22:06
The fabrication of aluminum ( ie tig welding) is expensive if you can't do it yourself. I don't have a tig. Farming out the 'tigging' would increase the price. Also, the aluminum as a material is about 2-3x the price of steel.

I can make the cross tube of aluminum instead of steel, but I'll have to kick down the overall diameter (OD) from 1.5 to 1.05. Same price.

The steel setup pictured weighs about 5-6lbs. I'll try and get a more accurate measurement.

Lanner

libila
April 27th 2005, 10:07
What about making a strut brace that has two bars crossing and connects at both the strut towers as well as the front of the "trunk"?

I would post pictures but all the stuff on here is copy written.

vw1303
April 27th 2005, 19:57
You are proably talking about the Heigo one. It has 2 bars that cross over each other and attach to somewhere in the front of the trunk. I couldn't figure out where they mounted it to. But I want to add those cross bars to mine and maybe attach it to the frame head for some serious support.

flat
April 27th 2005, 23:07
Libila,

It's already in the works. It'll come in two flavours; a 'k' brace for easy access to the spare tire and not hog too much space. The second flavour will be the traditional 'x' brace.

Both will be bolt in, so stay tuned.

Lanner

libila
April 29th 2005, 17:12
Yes, I was thinking of the Heigo bar but I couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

Flat, keep us informed! I'm interested in the "x" bar.