PDA

View Full Version : 901 Gearbox

cormac163
April 27th 2005, 17:25
I am going to do a 5 speed conversion in the midst of a subaru conversion. Does the 901 use the Type 1 flywheel as the Subaru uses a modified vw flywheel will it fit.
Also how far or does the 901 box move the engine to the back of the car. If so how much by?
After considering if I should do it or not I have just bought the box AND I dont care too much about the fit I have read that it is a 3cm push back which make no difference as the rear valance will have to be removable and I can shave a bit more off....cant I?
thanks

Cormac

Daggis
May 5th 2005, 16:45
Yeah, sure you could shave of some more, but do remember that moving weight backwards does hurt the handling of a already rear-heavy beetle..

cormac163
May 6th 2005, 11:28
I have read that the 901 box is 3cm longer so is that after the original mounts have been removed and the gearbox fitted.
What I can seem to find is a picture of the gearbox cradle with the 901 box in Place.
What i mean is if the gearbox is 3 cm longer will THE CRADLE BE MOVED FURTHER BACK?

ricola
May 7th 2005, 05:53
By moving the Subaru engine back it may not fit inside the stock body! There is a German kit which has a new slimmer nosecone which would allow everything to fit. They are working on a similar kit for teh 915 too
Rich

cormac163
May 8th 2005, 07:43
Hi Rich
thanks for the reply. I was talking to Martin Bott after reading about the kits he was making for porsche boxes that was in Ultra VW. I have an older 901 box and he has said that he has a shorter nosecone for these boxes also.
Are you talking about the same guys the website is www.bugat5speed.de.

thanks Cormac.

ricola
May 9th 2005, 04:32
Yes, I was talking about Martin, I just forgot his web address!
There was quite a good article in Ultra VW showing the installation of a 901 in a bug chassis with his parts.
Rich

cormac163
May 9th 2005, 10:59
He make it look like you can do it with your eyes closed.
I cant beleive it was only an hour.
I would imagine though it would take a little longer with the body on?

Rob
May 9th 2005, 14:37
What Subaru engine are you putting in ?
Keep in mind that the EJ25 is bigger than an EJ22. I am using an EJ25 with the stock tranny and I already had to cut the rear fenders for the timing belt cover.

Rob.

cormac163
May 10th 2005, 04:50
Hows it going rob
i am taking the easy way out and getting Andy in AMR Motors in England to install the EJ22 there is a picture of it on the website. Its the engine that was in Darryn Colemans beetle I think i can post it. Of course it will lose the pink plug leads.
I have just ordered the Parts from Martin. He is absolutely fantastic just wire the money through and wait. Excellent stuff cant wait to see the gear.
I'll post up the box too.