PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading brakes, suspension and WHEELS

LOAF
October 29th 2002, 15:01
Helllo, I am a newbie to this forum and I must say that it is top notch.. (please Commend yourselves).. I have a 78 Vert that I am trying to restore and make a GL.. My situation/question is the following:
I am looking at purchasing the Top line struts w/the narrower springs "MaXX Strut for the "German Look!", along with their super beetle disk brake package for the front , or a set from aircooled.com or C.B. Performance Disk Brake Conversion Kits w/their rear brake kit w/e-brake.
I don't plan on going to the strip often, but will be driving on the NJ highways about 100 miles round trip..
My concern is if these products will suffice for normal driving or do I need to upgrade to a porche hybrid setup.. I don't have bottomless pockets.. Also is it necessary to go with 4 wheel disks all-around or is front with better or newer rears enough.. Does M/C need to be upgraded.. Lastly I was looking at these wheels make by Volk Racing "SE37K" in 17 x 7.5 in either (4x100 or 5X100) with 40 offset for 4x100 and 48 for 5x100, will this be a problem or will I have to use huge spacers to clear discs and struts.. Also are the above brake kits hubcentric and be able to work with honda type wheels
Please advise..

NYBugman1972
October 29th 2002, 21:45
My setup is as such:

MaXX Struts, 17x7 turbo twists w. 205-40-17 and 17x8.5 wheels with 245-45-17, Topline's 5x130 drilled and grooved disks up front with 7/8" swaybar, rear 5x130 drums and 1" spacer, and 1.25" wider fiberglass rear fenders.

That'll be fine for daily driving, although you may want to go disks out back too.

Do yourself the favor and buy the MaXX's and the Disks and Swaybar from Topline. It's an easy install if you know your way around your car. I love mine :)

I use a stock M/C. No problems at all.

7" wheels with a 40 offset is perfect for the front. Contact "Phat73vw" on this forum. He has 17x7" (et40) Focals on his 73 with no rubbing, no spacing. My wheels are a 55 offset and require a 3/8" spacer in front.

The Topline disks are NOT hub-centric, but I think www.customspeedparts.com disks are. My rear drums and spacers are hub-centric, though.

Any of these setups will work with "honda" wheels.

Oh, and Topline's MaXX struts are made so you don't need big spacers. Everything fits under stock fenders.

Hope this answers your questions.

NYBugman1972
October 29th 2002, 21:48
Oh, and how much power are you putting out? That'll have an effect on what brakes you choose.

LOAF
October 30th 2002, 01:01
NYBugman1972

Thanks for your prompt response.. I do have a couple of followup questions... As far "Phat73vw" car, is this the red vert?? I will contact him hopefully tomorrow, but do you know if his rear's are 17x7 also?? with same 40 offset?? and spacers... Just asking if you happen to know.. I have a question about the topline set up you mentioned, can the disks be replaced with the csp rotors, with no problem of width or anythig that I can't think of???
For the rear brakes I will look at the kits you mentioned, especially looking for a e-brake, lot of hills and that wouldn't paint a pretty picture.. Also my engine setup is stock F/I 1600.. I haven't tackled that yet..without changing the topic of the thread on this forumn.. "I will be addressing this in the engine forumn"... With F/I, what potential is there??I live in NJ so not sure if I can swap to a 1700 series or 1900 with dual carbs and still be legit due to emission standards... Are there any mild to med setup with F/I, everything I read about is carb this, dual that..?? like I said I will post something on the other forum, but any initial info appreciated..
Would love to put a 2 liter type one or type 4 but not to smart on type 4 setups with porche fan adn shrouds
Thanks
Loaf from Jersey

TitoRay
October 30th 2002, 04:09
I just ordered my discs from Topline and asked John I could use aftermarket rotors (such as CSP's) with the kit. He said it would be fine as long as they are the same width as the stock Ghia rotors(which I think they are). He went on to say that the vented rotors would be too thick. As for the 7.5 inch wheels, the test car Topline used with the Maxx Struts has 7.5 inch wheels up front. I guess any questions you have about that can be answered by Topline themselves.

TitoRay
October 30th 2002, 04:11
Oh, I forgot to mention that Topline will also re-drill rotors for you for an extra cost.

LOAF
October 30th 2002, 10:11
TITORAY,
Thanks a mil, for the info.
Greatly appreciated.. I will take another look at the project car.. I believe that it had porche style wheels with a more appropriate offset than the honda types that I am looking at.. But worst case I'll try to send topline a message on the matter after I collect a little more info from researching.
Thanks
Loaf

NYBugman1972
October 30th 2002, 17:16
Yes, the Red vert is Brian's "Phat73vw". I believe all 4 of his wheels are 17x7, et40.

CSP's non-vented disks are identical to the KG disks in dimensions. The CSP/Kerscher "True" vented disks should work, but you need their entire kit to fit them.

Disks and drums will be fine for your 1600. I have a 1600 with headers and dual weber 40's and the disk/drum combo is fine.

Actually, the "honda" wheels with et40 is a more appropriate spacing than Porsche's et55. With the 40 offset, you don't need any spacing. But, Porsche wheels are Porsche wheels. You can't replicate that feeling.

As far as I know, there's not much F/I tuning available. I do know of a guy with a 75 vert who set his C/R at 9 to 1, stock everything and a K&N.

Topline's Green test car was fitted with 17x7 et55 wheels, as well as 17x7.5 et52 (?) wheels (current).

LOAF
October 30th 2002, 17:30
Thanks everyone for the info that you all have submitted,
Greatly appreciated.. If any one has additional comments, feel free.. With info you all have provided it should enable me to make proper decision..
Thank you
Loaf