PDA

View Full Version : 915 swap info needed

Steve C
May 10th 2005, 09:16
Hi

Ive been seaching here and elsewhere for some information and I cant seem to find it.

Im fittting a Subaru EJ20T STI motor to my 1303, Im worried that my current bug box wont take the power, it has an upgaded Quaife and 4 Albins gears.

Im moving my tranny forward for the STI motor Im fitting so figue a little more cutting wont hurt. Im going to use short torsion bars and cutout the middle of the torsion bar housing complety, Im using 40 hp ones, I will fit another spline in the remaining torsion bar housing inside the fork.

Im hanging a great big lump of Subaru out the back of my car, so getting the weight forward 4 inches will help with weight distribution.

I have already bought an adaptor with a type 1 style flywheel and a Stage 4 Kennedey pressure plate.

Does the 915 use a diffrent clutch spline to type 1? If it does I could maybe get a custom clutch disc made.

Has anyone used a throwout race other than the Porsche one? I would need to use a type 1 style to operate the clutch I have.

Will my auto starter go in deep enough to engage the ring gear?

Or should I just scrap the flywheel and clutch I already have and buy an adaptor that uses a Porsche flywheel and clutch?

Steve
Steve

ricola
May 10th 2005, 09:26
Hi Steve,
Not sure how much use this is, but I bought a new flywheel from Kennedy and used a stock Porsche clutch when I went to the 915. I presume you know the 915 is a pull style clutch?

Rich

Wally
May 11th 2005, 05:28
Yes, the splines are different on a 915 clutch compared to the VW (all types) splines...

Steve C
May 12th 2005, 02:35
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Ive been giving this more thought. I can have a clutch plate made with a 915 centre, so thats OK. Would there be anything to stop me operating the Porsche clutch lever to depress the pressure plate instead of pulling it?

Steve

Wally
May 12th 2005, 04:05
No, there are more ways to do it; just figure it out carefully what needs to be done.
Here are a few pics of my 915 clutch to gather your thoughts ;) :

http://www.keversite.com/fotoalbum/fotos/12022005202206.jpg

http://www.keversite.com/fotoalbum/fotos/22122004192122.jpg

http://www.keversite.com/fotoalbum/fotos/12022005203252.jpg

Regards,
Walter

Steve C
May 13th 2005, 08:56
Hi

Thanks for the photos Wally. Im going to borrow a 915 trans soon and have a play around with it.

Do you have a seperate photo of the ring gear, is it seperate from the pressure plate?

Steve

Wally
May 13th 2005, 09:46
Hi

Do you have a seperate photo of the ring gear, is it seperate from the pressure plate?

Steve
No, the top photo will have to do ;-) They may have a pic of it on pelican parts, but yes, the ring gear is a separate item. Its connected with 3 strange looking 'bolts'. One of them is just visible in the top picture. I haven't had them loose yet.

Best regards,
Walter

Steve C
May 30th 2005, 23:14
Hi

Just spoke to the guy that made my WRX to Type 1 adaptor, he said I can still use my modified 200mm flywheel with the 915 or 930 box. He just needs to make an adaptor ring to adapt the Posche ring gear to my flywheel, he said its a better way to do it than use the overpriced Porsche pressure plate. For a throughout bearing I can use a Saab hydraulic unit.

Steve