PDA

View Full Version : 935 style spring plates

kiwivw
October 30th 2002, 21:54
Hi All,

I know Eagle makes 935 style pring plates for VWs. However i'm looking for something a little more stylish. I would prefer them to be suitable for 944T trailing arms and not cost and arm and a leg (standard price by porsche suppliers is ~$800 :).

Any ideas?
Thanks
Craig:D

Alex
November 6th 2002, 16:33
Actually the system that is on the market in Germany with the Uniball setup is around the same price.

You can see a pic in the suspension gallery.

Alex

SuperRSi
November 20th 2002, 00:31
I have talked to Kokeln about their 944 rear 935 type spring plates. Closer to $500. in cost. Go to Kokeln.com to take a look. Guess we could also build some alot cheaper if enough people were interested. Any takers?

Thanks,
Randy

kiwivw
November 20th 2002, 13:54
Randy,

I'm looking on their site and have asked online porsche retailers and i can't find any 935 style swing plates. I can see they have the complete rear suspension, but thats like $1500-2000. :confused:

SuperRSi
November 23rd 2002, 22:33
They were curious on someone wanting just the components, but were willing to price them out piece by piece. I am looking at this system to go with my 944t trailing arms.

Thanks,
Randy

kiwivw
November 24th 2002, 17:18
Will do.

Ditto on the 944t Trailing arms.
Connecting to a 69 pan.

SuperRSi
December 4th 2002, 23:05
I am curious if you got a price on a set yet?

Thanks,
Randy

kiwivw
December 9th 2002, 03:39
Sorry, no i haven't.
I'm in New Zealand on holiday for a month (visiting the homeland).
I'll be looking into it in the new year thou.

SuperRSi
December 11th 2002, 22:14
I bought a set of spring plates from a 944T and am planning on cutting them down. I will then weld in the threaded receiver tube for a 3/4 inch Aurora rod end and jam nut. I plan to then machining a steel hockey puck with a threaded 3/4 inch hole and an outer plate to support both sides for the bolt through the rod end. The theory is to weld this into the rear end of the VW torsion bar housing. Any comments?

Thanks,
Randy

Da1Duc
January 4th 2003, 18:27
Originally posted by Alex
Actually the system that is on the market in Germany with the Uniball setup is around the same price.

You can see a pic in the suspension gallery.

Alex

Who made those spring plates? I cannot read the name.

D

Alex
January 4th 2003, 23:49
Remmele Motorsport is making them.

Alex

Panelfantastic
January 26th 2003, 18:42
I have an odd question....
If you were building a coilover setup from scratch and were looking at ditching the torsion bars and replacing the torsion plates with a new design that DID NOT try to use the factory mounts but went inboard slightly for more clearance ..... would you still want a fixed-solid attachment on the control arm with a roller-hiem type joint at the new attachment point on the torsion tube or ..... how about rod ends at both ends of your new "torsion plate replacement". What I'm getting at is , is there a reason it is "fixed" at the control arm mount - like to control rotation/deflection or something?
Did I lose everybody? :silly:

kdanie
January 27th 2003, 16:35
Yes, With a single pivot on each end, the axle torque will try and rotate the trailing arm and will most likely be able to. That could make for a wild ride. I thought about using a 4 link set up but it would bind due to the angle of the inner trailing arm pivots. There is little that can improve the stock design without throwing it out and fabricating a set unequal length A arms.
ken

Panelfantastic
January 27th 2003, 17:28
I figured as much.
The thing I love most about these old VW's is their engineering. Very simple, very effective... but no easy way to modify to suit a need it wasn't designed for.:(