PDA

View Full Version : 944 brake questions

55rag
October 30th 2002, 23:31
Hey guys,
I'm still trying to decide which method to convert my brakes. I am using 944 turbo calipers and rotors. I have n/a hubs. My question is what are the differences between n/a and turbo hubs and spindles? Are the bearings larger on the turbo, is the spindle longer or thicker? I am thinking of cutting a bug spindle flush and welding the turbo spindle shaft to it and just bolt on all the turbo brake components. I'm not sure if the n/a hub will work with the turbo parts. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I will be documenting this method and if it works well I will right a tech article. I have a source that will do all the spindle mods for me and the price should be in the $400 - $500 range.

Thanks again

dgluyas
October 31st 2002, 08:10
:) I am running the turbo 944 brakes and rotors from a 97 Porsche.
The spindles are C.B performance. To use the turbo rotors it is necessary to have them machined down so the caliper has enough "meat" to mount to. Their overall diameter is too much unless you have another mounting bracket made. I am running 23mm et FUCH 7x16 wheels at the front with spacers. The low et means the big turbo calipers would otherwise hit the inside of my wheels. I will try to post some photos soon.
Cheers David

55rag
October 31st 2002, 20:54
I am having a bracket made to mount the caliper so I don't have to machine down the rotor. Hopefully I will still be able to fit "16 wheels without interference. Any one know the differences between turbo and non-turbo hubs, ie. bearing size?

Thanks for the info.

Andy White
November 2nd 2002, 03:23
55 rag,

Take my advice and DO NOT weld the spindles under any circumstances! They are cast and therefore the heat from welding will seriously change the temperament of the steel weakening them to a dangerous degree.

Buy some pre'86 944 front hubs, bearings and seals. Get some spacers made to interference fit onto the spindles and Bobs yer uncle! Bolt on the discs but you'll have to clearance very slightly for the turbo 944 rotors if you use standard spindles. Any brackets you make for the calipers must also be bolted to the spindle, not welded!

Good luck!

Andy.