PDA

View Full Version : wide fenders with big wheels?

boojus
November 3rd 2002, 18:05
will widened fenders, 3" in rear and 2.5" (non-flared), look strange with bigger 17" or 18" wheels? if anyone has pictures could they post them.
thanks

NYBugman1972
November 3rd 2002, 19:12
strange is a personal preference. I don't think it will look odd, so long as you can fill those fenders up.

Oh, what car are we talking about? Personally, I don't like wider fronts for supers, but there are exceptions.

boojus
November 3rd 2002, 20:35
its not a super beetle, its a 1970 beetle. i didnt think it would look strange either, but a friend of mine whos dad is a volkswagen mechanic said that it wouldn't look good so then i started to question it a bit, but i think it would look good with some 18" porsche wheels.

NYBugman1972
November 4th 2002, 07:49
I think that if you get some moderatley widened fenders, with some wide 17's or 18's, you'll be fine. I like the fat fendered look, myself. Check on the front page, in the "Members rdes" gallery. I forgot who, but one of us here has a project car with 2" fenders up front and 17x7 wheels with a 1" spacer up front, and I think 3" fenders out back with 17x9 and a 2" spacer. It looks mean to me. Hell of you could handle it, you could REALLY fill those fenders up with no spacers, by ordering custom offset, deep dish forged wheels :silly:

do you have any pics of the car? I could photoshop something.

boojus
November 5th 2002, 20:57
i dont have any pics right now. ill try to get some sometime. do spacers move the wheel out further so that they are further apart?

NYBugman1972
November 6th 2002, 09:36
A spacer moves the wheel out from the body, thereby widening the track and filling out wide fenders.

Spacers can also be used for clearence issues, like if the inner fender is too close to the inner wheel lip. Or, if a brake caliper is too close to the inside face of a wheel.

Basically, it....well....spaces the wheels out.

zen
November 6th 2002, 17:17
that is me with the project car, mike. and the specs are right except backs are 17x8.5ET48. fronts are ET55. big spacers, but i am not looking to shred the wheels off doing 1/4 mile runs anyway. i have a set of 16 ronals with what looks to be about right offsets (no tires on them so i can not be sure) to fill 2" and 3" fenders respectively. They are 16x7ET11 and 16x8ET23 with the porsche bolt pattern. black powder coated 5 spokes that would look really cool, but i wanted to go 17" and porsche. will have to put the ronals up for sale soon.

i did all of this for the wide look. since my car is a chop i wanted to extend the sides to balance the height. attached is a copy of my avitar that i did as a mock up to give me an idea of what it would look like done. hopefully it will help. i still have some tweaking to do on the mock up though. NOTE: the front fenders have not be widened in this shot. they are standard width. the backs have been widened at a guess of 3".

btw, i have a pair of 1" spacers i am getting ready to put up for sale too.

zen
November 6th 2002, 17:20
oh, here is a pic with a mock up from the back that i have been playing with. mental note...don't start with a yellow car to get to silver. it doesn't work. oh, well. this is what it would look like if it were yellow. this is/was the remmelle bug. these fenders look to be about 2" and 3", but i am not sure. still alot of work to do on this photo.

bren
November 8th 2002, 05:24
yellows an easy enough swap for silver.. heres my attempt:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/pdd703d7eb06deac7d9dcc1c94ec79da3/fd1174c2.jpg

zen
November 8th 2002, 09:58
hmmm. i had a hell of a time with it. good to know it can be done. i will give it another try. thanks bren.

looks pretty good if i say so myself. :D

now for carbon fiber running boards, change the splash guards, add side mirror, tops of momo seats, see if i can change the license plate, shave the license plate light, on and on.

then to change it to black...just to see.