PDA

View Full Version : Maximum 930 CV angle

Steve C
July 10th 2005, 02:33
Hi

What is the recommended maximum CV angle that can be used on 930 CVs. This is for a street driven car with around a 300 hp Subaru motor.

Steve

CPRcubed
July 11th 2005, 14:53
Sorry I don't know what the spec is but unless your trailing arms are on (or past) the stops you shouldn't have a problem. Back in the 70's I ran a Baja that had 17" of ground clearance on pan (arms on the stops, 30" tires) with stock 69 CV's.

Steve C
July 11th 2005, 20:17
Hi

Perhaps I should make a better explanation of what Im doing. Im fitting a WRX motor to my bug along with a G50 transmission. I want to move the transmission forward so that the motor has a better fit, the motors are extremly wide at the cam covers and as a Beetle engine bay tapers, the more forward the better it is for me and also for better weight distribution. By doing this I will need to angle the the axles forward to from the trailing arm to the gearbox, I want to know what the maximum safe angle is.

Steve

JiI
January 19th 2006, 19:08
I'm planning a very similar thing to your idea. I'll be running a 915 tranny with a subie and plan on moving the whole thing forward for better balance. I'll probably chop out the center of the torsion housing or fab up all new rear suspension. Probably going to run 930s as well just to play it safe.
Drop me some pics if you feel like it.
Jeff :)

Panelfantastic
January 19th 2006, 19:35
CV info here (http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm) .

Jeff-

airwerksvw
January 23rd 2006, 22:26
I see the link gives info for max angle, but it seems to be on one plane. What happens when you run them at compound angles? IE tranny is forward 3" and up 2"?

ricola
January 24th 2006, 04:36
I see the link gives info for max angle, but it seems to be on one plane. What happens when you run them at compound angles? IE tranny is forward 3" and up 2"?

An angle is an angle, the CV is rotating anyway so just work out the angle it is at to its axis...

Rich

airwerksvw
January 25th 2006, 00:31
Good deal, I was kind of nervous because I tried running a centered diff axle in my samurai (stock offset) and it vibrated like a mother..... Narrowed it up and made it offset and the vibration problem was gone.