PDA

View Full Version : Over Trans Gas Heater

Doogie S
July 14th 2005, 11:38
Greetings,

I came across this gas heater that sits over the transmission, which seems like a pretty good idea for those of us that don't want to mount one under the hood and screw up our stereo amp installation.

I had a gas heater in my 69 Beetle, but it was the under the hood style, which seemed to work pretty well but I have not had any experience with this type / style. Apparently it was used on Type III’s and some Beetle / Ghia installations. I was wondering if any of you guys have any comments on the performance, problems, etc... on this style of heater, as I would like to use one for my Ghia Cabrio so that I at least have some heat once I put the performance exhaust on it. :D

Cheers,

Doug

jrinlv
July 14th 2005, 12:54
I would like to see more. Like the price and how much air it will move, size of the unit, do you have a web site?...Thanks for the pic.JR

Doogie S
July 14th 2005, 14:51
I have all the specs at home. I'll post them later tonight for reference.

I have a lead on the one in the photo for around $100 US.

Doug

Doogie S
July 15th 2005, 00:12
OK, here's the specs for the unit:

Heat Output: 1000 to 3400 kcal/h (infinitely variable)

No exact size given, but from the photos and documents I've seen, it mounts to the underside of the package tray above the transmission.

I found a link to a site which has jpg's of the service manuals for all the VW gas heaters. It's listed under the Type IV, but I've seen references to it being installed in Beetles and Ghias.

Gas Heater Shop Manuals (http://failsure.net/oacdp/ebersp.html#q3)

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug