PDA

View Full Version : wasn't sure where to post this, but what about syncro???

BeetleTwinTurbo
November 5th 2002, 12:07
I remember hearing that syncro was a VW drivetrain off a transporter, and was all wheel drive....

If I put a type 4 engine in my bug, is there anyway I could adapt the syncro system into my 70 bug??

kdanie
November 5th 2002, 16:36
Anything can be done but it sounds tremendously expensive.
The drive shaft up the center is a problem as well as the front axle shafts to work with the existing suspension and steering (or fab new). It could be done I'm sure, but at what expense and what gain? Cost-Benifit analysis is in order on this one. Your money=your choice. Sounds like a cool idea but too rich for me!!
ken

NYBugman1972
November 11th 2002, 17:00
Yes, synchro is the VW AWD setup, used in Vanagons and a bunch of other european market VWs. Theoretically, it can be done. If I were to do it (and had unlimited $), i'd get a tube-chassis made up so there would be a minimum of issues.

It seems that all you would needto do is fabricate custom drive shafts, but I don't know anything about the synchro setup.

For the money, I'd stick T4 and beef up a 901 5-speed.

sdp65
November 26th 2002, 13:11
I think it would be a LOT easier to put a synchro set up into a super beetle due to the McStruts similarities between the two. if you buy the rusted out synchro van spend the extra money to make sure the synchro system is tip-top. they are expensive to work on and replace. try to find some grannie somewhere in minnesota or something that only used the synchro to drive around town in the snow, and is selling due to a rusted out body or such. this is one time you Don't want to buy a west coast VW as most synchro's out here are falling apart due to the owner's driving it like a baja or toyota truck in the mountains. anyway good luck. I have always wanted to put a synchro set-up into my type 2 (so I could beat it up driving it like a baja or toyota truck....hehehehe)

oasis
December 6th 2002, 11:13
I looked into putting a Syncro system onto a Thing (Type 181). There were so many one-off parts needed that the project was going to cost (including purchasing the car, mind you) US$20,000 (estimate).

Some of the issues involved gas tanks and engine mounting.

A Super Beetle project may be less as suggested above, but not by a significant amount I'm fairly sure.

If you do investigate it further, I would suggest using the Syncro system from a 1986-88 Quantum wagon. They are easier to find in working condition. (The system used on the Quantum is totally different than the Vanagon system. In this application, that's a plus.)

If you have access to European-spec VWs, you might want to check out the systems offered on Golfs and non-US VWs. VW offers much more elsewhere than what's offered in North America. Those systems may have parts which are more compatible.

(FWIW, I ended up buying my wife a 2002 Golf TDI instead with the $20k. Since I have a 2002 Cabrio, I no longer desire another 'vert. Hence, I now have interest in a GL'er SB.)

René

Michael Ghia
December 22nd 2002, 08:27
I looked into using a Porsche C4 transmission a while back. This is a relative of the G50 transmission and is therefore very big and very heavy but more than capable of taking 600bhp plus everyday.
The 964 C4 (G50/50) system uses a solid torque tube to connect the gearbox to the front diff. This is a problem in a bug as the 911 wheelbase is shorter than that of the Bug. You would have to make an extension.
The 993 is similar and it was only in the 996 C4 that Porsche decided to use a prop shaft instead of a torque tube. You can imagine how expensive the 996 stuff is as it's only been on the market for 4 years.
The guys at Autocavan used a Porsche transmission a while back before the C4 was around and modified it to add a drive comming out at the front (nosecone) of the gearbox. I can't remember what fornt diff they used but it was on a very heavily modified 1303 bug. This was built as a rallycross car. Some of you may remember the progress reports which were featured in Volksworld.
Ah the days :)

MG

Michael Ghia
December 24th 2002, 20:18
Sorry.. got the G50 codes mixed up. The G50/50 is the Turbo gearbox I believe... the G64 is the C4 box.
MG