PDA

View Full Version : newbie_here...Suspension Upgrade Q's?

Hella-Buggin'
July 27th 2005, 02:09
I'm working on a '62 sedan. Just put in a 2110cc motor and a modified tranny so 80mph is cruising speed. I'm running BRM's with 195/50/15's up front and 195/65/15's in the rear. I put dropped spindals on thge fromt with a disc break kit and lowered the rear end a notch. My question is... what are some things I can do to make the car handle like like glove at 80mph or so on the freeway. It's OK now but I feel like I really have to work to keep it a smooth ride. As far as costs go... I'm open to suggestions at this point and if soething is really worth wild I'll make it happen.

Thanks,
Mark

rip
July 27th 2005, 02:35
if you hadn't already, get some caster shims and a new steering dampener. after that i'd get a kamei air dam and possible a rear wing. Sway bars will definately help.

have you read the article on aircooled.net

http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/handling.htm

as far as handling goes at high speeds you're limited to the aerodynamic characteristics of the bug. changing this will give better handling.

Bigger better brakes will improve if fade occurs, but what sort of driving are we talking about at these speeds?

Hella-Buggin'
July 27th 2005, 09:15
Hi Rip,

I'll check out the article. Basicaly, I just need to keep up with the flow of traffic around here. This is a weekend driver and It'll pretty much be for cruising with my wife on day trips and what not. I have the stock swaybar on the front, is there anything better for up there? What about the back end?

Thanks,
Mark

Hella-Buggin'
July 27th 2005, 11:31
I skimmed through the article and noticed that it's dealing with a ball joint front end. I have a 3" narrowed King & Link Front end on my car. I'll take the suggestions from the aircooled site for my rear end but what about the front end?

rip
July 28th 2005, 00:44
yea, the narrowed front beam may be difficult to locate a "high" performance sway bar but I beleive there was an article in a vw mag about a narrow sway bar, i'll see if I can find it.

I think it was a 3/4 which should be good enough.

But there is one important thing about that article the author welded all the seams on his bug so this made the chassis and the car a lot stiffer. this is why he had understeer. You and me and most others havn't or can't do this, unless your willing to pull the body and do the time.

So becarefully of what you do based off that article. I wouldn't go that large in the rear, as far as sways bars goes.

There is a tech article on the home page. It trys to use measurement similar to a porsche with similar wieghts, i'd model after that more than the aircooled.net, but the aircooled.net thing does illustrate that you need to tune, not a one size fits all.

rip
July 28th 2005, 00:55
it was the jan 2004 issuse of hot vw page 76.

they make a 2 and 3" narrowed sway bar in 3/4 this will make a good improvement.

http://www.airspeedparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=198&osCsid=c4f62663a5daac12e209c4e8786811b7

they want 140 bucks for it.

but what sort of shocks are you using a good set of koni will help, but these suggestions along with the articles i've been talking about imply a race attitude. good for cruising don't get me wrong but may be over kill.

rip
July 28th 2005, 01:00
Hi Rip,

I'll check out the article. Basicaly, I just need to keep up with the flow of traffic around here. This is a weekend driver and It'll pretty much be for cruising with my wife on day trips and what not. I have the stock swaybar on the front, is there anything better for up there? What about the back end?

Thanks,
Mark

yeah be carful here as you don't want to use a sway bar on the rear of a swing axle bug, a camber compensator is better, and get some limiter straps if you havn't already.

also theres a few books out there, i'd pick up "how to make your beetle handle" it will get you going on some of the tried and true methods of how to get your bug to handle. if you need more well then i'd look at the STF's road racing forum. but i don't think you'll need to.

rip

Hella-Buggin'
July 28th 2005, 12:16
Wow, Thanks Rip...
That'll keep me busy for awhile. As of yet I haven't done anything to the suspension. It's in the shop right now getting the beam put on along with a new steering box and whetever else it takes. I just had the disc brakes put on and it pushed my wheels out so far that I got wheel rub on the edges of the fenders. I wanted the fat rubber up front so the narrowed beam was neccesary.

Recap:
Rear...
Camber adjuster & Limiter Straps
Front...
Narrowed Sway Bar 3/4"
BTW I'm running Grey KYB shocks all around. Will those work?
Thanks,
Mark

G-force
July 28th 2005, 16:13
A Z-bar (camber compensator as some people call them) on the rear axle is a must on any swingaxle beetle. It improves both cornering ability and highway stability in my experience.

I refitted mine over the weekend, and tight corners can be taken about 2 or 3 mph faster now. Doesn't sound much, but you can definitely feel the difference in grip.