PDA

View Full Version : Porsche gauges, newb question

zappally
August 3rd 2005, 20:58
Hi guys,

my first post on here & I'm affraid it's a question, I've been lurking in the background for a month or two since I got my first beetle but the urge to attack it is getting to much for me now.

I fancy installing some Porsche guages (as you do) into my '70 1200 & have found somewhere with where they have a few different ones at a pretty good price.

First up is a 1983 924 speedo, would I be able to fit this into my beetle or is it the wrong kind of connection.

Next is a set of 914 gaues, the speedo (a few scratches in the glass), rev counter he says it's faulty, I hope it's actually ok, fuel gauge (has a bent bulb holder) & the 3 gauges from the center console, clock,temp & volts. Would these gauges connec/work ok?

Finally a 911sc oil temp/pressure gauge, again same question.

Ideally I want the rev counter for the middle with the speedo on one side & the dual oil gauge on the other, then I can fit some smaller vdo gauges for volts, cylinder head temp & fuel under the dash somewhere.

All answers greatfully taken onboard & the quicker I get them the quicker I can start to blow my already tight budget. I really fancy getting some gauges while I know they're about as I don't tend to see to many appear here in Scotland.

Cheers

Ally

NO_H2O
August 3rd 2005, 22:34
Go to the main page www.germanlook.com , then got to Tech Articles and scroll down to "Simply Dashing" it should give you a good idea what is needed to put the 914 gauges into your bug.

zappally
August 5th 2005, 16:09
Thanks Troy, I now know what's involded in fitting them, so that's that part sorted. I know that the 914 gauges will work in my bug but will a 924 speedo & tacho work just as well?

NO_H2O
August 5th 2005, 19:09
I have never used any 924/944 stuff but I would think it would work.

zappally
August 16th 2005, 11:41
Alrighty, I now have a 924 tacho & speedo (need a new engine to reach the indicated 160 mph! :laugh: ) & a 911 oil temp/pressure gauge.

The speedo & tach are the same large size as opposed to the speedo being smaller. That's no biggy though.

My question is, for the Tacho, when I goto wire it up on the rear there's the 2 bulbs, these I can do then there's a block with Hg & H+, i take these are the ground & 12v connections & then there's 4 more connections marked, 2,4,5 & 6. So how do I go about connecting it???

Do I wire 12v to the H+ & ground to the Hg & then a cable from the coil to the terminal marked 4?

I'm thinking I'll run with the stock speedo for the moment & use the 911 oil temp/pressure gauge & mount the 924 tach under the centre of the dash in a pod for the moment till I either change the colour of the speedo dial (currenly green) or source a 914 speedo

Cheers

Ally

zappally
September 2nd 2005, 21:51
Got it sorted, all i need to do now is install it :)

NO_H2O
September 4th 2005, 01:38
Cool,,, Let us know how it works out. I would like to know how the speedo matches up.