PDA

View Full Version : Kafer bars..Almost ready

flat
September 7th 2005, 22:44
I've been talking about making my version of the Kafer bar. Here are some pics of how it's coming along. Almost there. I'll be ready to fully market it in 6-8 weeks. Introductory price of only $C260 (about $US220) for the 3 bar. Stainless tubes can be custom ordered at a premium of about $C30 for the 3-bar. 5-bar's and super strut bars using the same clevis style are also coming up.

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Host/kafer1.jpg
The clevis pictures are not finished, still have to mill the groove and hole for the screw.
http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Host/kafer2.jpg

Lanner

LLVWGL
September 21st 2005, 21:46
interested. . . .

are the ends really finely threaded, or are there threads at all?

flat
September 21st 2005, 22:29
Yes, they are threaded with a metric extra fine thread pitch. Jam nuts will be included to set the length. I'll post more pics as I have the parts ready.

Lanner

Doogie S
September 22nd 2005, 18:13
Lanner,

Sign me up for one. I'd like the 5 bar set-up though. :D

Have you test fit the set-up on a Ghia? I would assume that the clearances will be the same as a beetle, but I've been supprised before. :eek:

Cheers,

Doug

LLVWGL
September 23rd 2005, 02:21
ditto on the 5 bar.

2 more questions:

Are the brackets for the ends of the framehorns going to be weld-on or bolt on?
And are the FRONT brackets for the five bar going to be made out of steel to weld on?

flat
September 23rd 2005, 09:48
The only way to insure perfect fit for each application withourtcompromises is to let the end user set up the frame horn brackets, hence they will be weld on, and made out of steel. The same applies to the 5 bar front brackets.

My biggest hurdle is the end pieces, they are still at the CNC shop and delivery keeps getting pushed back. I'll keep you guys posted.

As for test fitting on a KG, I haven't done it yet. I know that the 73+ T1's (beetle ang ghia) require quite a bit of trimming near the shock mount because the inner fender panels are double walled whearas the earlier cars are all single walled.

Lanner

Bad bug
September 28th 2005, 08:04
I would realy love a five bar setup for my beetle as i am thinking of converting my swing axle car to irs rear end.

flat
October 2nd 2005, 13:27
Hold tight guys, I'll probably have something ready within 10-14 days.

Lanner

Doogie S
October 4th 2005, 14:34
Right-on!

Just in time for Christmas. (do you hear that honey?) :p

Cheers,

Doug

flat
October 5th 2005, 21:22
Booyaah!

They're done. Designed and manufactured in Canada. Keep the dollar on this side of the pacific!

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/kafercup.jpg

VdubCustoms has designed and manufactured this kafer cup bar to provide the maximum amount of chassis stiffness. Manufactured from aircraft grade aluminum, the clevis ends and tubes are exactlingly machined. All metric grade high-strength hardware provided. Laser cut mounting plates require welding to fit to your chassis. Not bolt on. :)

Promotional price:

3 bar setup $C265. ($US225)

5 bar setup $C375. ($US320)

Lanner
lanner@vdubcustoms.com

LOAF
October 5th 2005, 21:35
Nice..

I know what I want for my birthday.. excellent job..
Alex

Mikey
October 5th 2005, 23:09
Email sent.. :D I hope to have one real soon.

Doogie S
October 6th 2005, 14:53
Lanner,

email sent requesting shipping cost on 5 bar set-up. :D

Cheers,

DOug

LLVWGL
October 7th 2005, 04:06
So. . . . .where it mounts to the upper shock mount is weld-on? don't you think people will run into problems trying to weld onto the cast steel? (I have heard that it is very difficult to weld onto.)

Mikey
October 7th 2005, 21:37
So. . . . .where it mounts to the upper shock mount is weld-on? don't you think people will run into problems trying to weld onto the cast steel? (I have heard that it is very difficult to weld onto.)

They don't weld to the shock mount. You just weld to a small peice, then add a longer shock bolt...

(nut)[spacer]{shock}|mount|[]

Crude but effective... The spacer is what you weld to, My guess is get it all in position with the shock. Tack it, then put it away from the shock to weld, that way the rubber part of the shock doesn't heat up. Probably use a pair of vise grips to hold the tab into position. Mig would be the best process to use. (Vs stick, tig, or Flux core) Am I getting too detailed? :laugh:

That's just the way I see it though.

flat
October 8th 2005, 17:56
Mikey's right.

You just tack everything in postion to the shock mount bushing (steel sleeve piece included with the kit). Then you can remove the bushing and you can finish welding on the bench. Paint everything up and re-install. For the 3 bar, I prefer to install the rear clevis mounts directly to the end of the frame 'legs', although you can mount to the tranny crossbar if you wish.

The front links (5 bar only) can be mounted directly above the IRS pivot near where the ebrake cable comes out. On the swingaxle cars you have more options, and you can mount directly to the torsion tube. With the IRS cars, you can mount to the torsion tube, but have to be careful you don't get in the way of the IRS arm in motion.

Lanner

flat
October 16th 2005, 21:32
Some more pics:
http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/kafercup2.jpg

Notice new logo...Vdub Engineering....new site should be up soon. Attention Zen, can you change the forum name here at GL?

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/kafercup3.jpg

They'll be a show special at the Tampa events...$US200 for the 3 bar.

Mikey
October 17th 2005, 01:02
I'm getting even more excited, I sent the money out Tuesday. I can't wait! :D

zen
October 17th 2005, 18:33
Notice new logo...Vdub Engineering....new site should be up soon. Attention Zen, can you change the forum name here at GL?

will do. wish these were around about a year ago. look very nice. really looking forward to seeing the goodies you bring down with you.

zen
October 17th 2005, 18:38
done. :agree:

Doogie S
October 21st 2005, 11:36
Lanner,

Money order is in the mail today... :laugh:

Cheers,

DOug

Mikey
October 26th 2005, 13:10
I just picked it up from the post office today...

I love it! I'll be a great addition to the Ghia. I definatly feel like I got my money's worth. :D :righton:

I also recived a few bussiness cards with it. After you get some printed with the new logo. I'll hand some out if you send them to me or I run into you in Canada.

Bad bug
December 6th 2005, 13:12
Has anyone installed these as yet is their any clearancing of the body to be done.