PDA

View Full Version : Austrian Super Beetle Racer Webpage

Tim
November 10th 2002, 09:59
I just happened to come across an Austrian Webpage which featured a yellow Super Beetle racer.

http://members.telering.at/robert.nachbauer/

Unfortunately it is in German which I don't understand. The photos showed an interesting modified 5-speed type 1 gearbox (doesn't look like a Gene Berg 5-speed), a very nice modified front end with rack and pinion steering, also a fuel injection T4 engine with Porsche fan. Anyone do know German can translate some more details about this racer? Thanks a lot!
Tim

Oliver Knuf
November 14th 2002, 06:10
It's a well-known guy from Austria with a slalom car, a 1303 with an English Hewland gearbox, sequential shifting, high performance from British engineers.
The engine seems to be less then 2l, as he rides it in a -2000ccm class, but that says nothing. It's a self-made injection system with 2 injectors per cylinder, fully programmable, as is the ignition. A very nice dry sump system and a BAS 44mm header is also pictured but not really good dsescribed. All the important engine specs are missing, maybe he doesn't want to present it on the internet, as the other teams take a look on every car! ;)
The front end is definitly interesting, as the rack & pinion is from another race car to get a more direct steering, done with unibals, new placed steering unit, different braces with unibals on the front suspension, very nice!

An interesting private side!

Tim
November 15th 2002, 10:45
Thank you Oliver. This is the first time I know about a sequential gearbox in a classic Beetle. It must be very costly. Is it a 6-speed?
In the "technik" page, it mentions some numbers, 2360ccm, 200hp, but I am not sure whether it is related to the engine specs of this racer. Anyway, it will definitely inspire me on my coming racer project - probably a hybrid of this Austrian 1303 and the blue J-Sport racer.
Tim

Chris Percival
November 15th 2002, 12:34
A sequential one is a bob or two. Basic one is much less..
http://www.hewland.com/