PDA

View Full Version : 1303 steet legal race car in NZ

brent
October 4th 2005, 05:56
Hi there viewers, well I have been working on this for 6 years and are coming close to getting this thing finaly finished. Any questions are welcome. here is a breif descrition of whats been done. 1973 super beetle. All steel body. 2.5 lt dry sumped tp 1, all the best fruit. aprox 200+ hp. single sideplate box with sherman 5 spd, all the fruit. the list is massive but over several mail will get all down to people interested. I widened the guards 50mm front and 80mm rear.Painted this week so new pic coming when fitted. 3 piece arrow wheels. 8 x 15" and 10 x 15" 11" drilled brakes, billet 4 pot callipers. Lot of german after market parts in suspension, front adjustable kersher, rear are QA1 with ebach, 2 alloy coolers up front. Body off pan and total rebulid every nut bolt changed or modified. Passat rack, chrome molly steering arms, rod ends, full areoquip braided lines. I made the dash from nothing fits around the cage, auto meter guages completely removable 5 mins. hope this is making sence?
I have tried to attach some pics so hope this aal works. regards Brent. yes im in new Zealand.

NO_H2O
October 4th 2005, 08:15
Very nice :agree:

Sandeep
October 4th 2005, 09:57
That is crazy .. WELL DONE :clap:

Let see some more pictures !

Sandeep

volkdent
October 4th 2005, 13:13
Super mean! ;) Looks like it's going to be a hoot! Keep us posted as it starts to get smoky!

Jason

ricola
October 4th 2005, 16:02
Wow, that thing's gonna fly round the bends! :laugh:

Rich

Jeza
October 4th 2005, 20:04
Mate thats insane...

I bet there are a lot of VW Kiwis that would love to see that.

Hows about a quick post at www.nzveedubnuts.com

I wonder how many people down here knew you were building such an awesome car.

Hopefully it makes it to a nationals... it would give me a good reason to show up!

Cheers
Jeremy

s1fter
October 4th 2005, 20:38
Wow...

Well done!!! I did not know that was being built here in NZ!!!

Will you be at the Nationals with it???

lazylongboarder
October 5th 2005, 01:07
To quote Napoleon..."it's..., it's incredible"

Very impressed. Keep us posted, just can't wait to be at the 6 year mark of working on my car :laugh: . Maybe i'll have a gazillian horsepower by then and a 10 speed G50.

lazylongboarder
October 5th 2005, 01:12
Since the rear right tire is a slick and the left is treaded, the car looks a little like a midget race car. All you need is a 5 foot long wing for a roof and wheelies at 70 mph in the dirt.

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:05
That is crazy .. WELL DONE :clap:

Let see some more pictures !

Sandeep

Thanks, yes i will attached some more pics for you, hope to get guards on v-soon.

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:13
Very nice :agree:

Thanks very much.

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:15
Wow, that thing's gonna fly round the bends! :laugh:

Rich

Thanks, well I hope it should handle well, dont intend to bend it but will have to give it a good blow out for sure.

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:19
Since the rear right tire is a slick and the left is treaded, the car looks a little like a midget race car. All you need is a 5 foot long wing for a roof and wheelies at 70 mph in the dirt.

Yea looks a little stupid with the two different tyres. When I was modifying the guards wanted to make sure that all tyre options wouldnt rub. Not sure about the wing thing? I have got a front spoiler which I will look at fitting another day. Was the one off a race car in Austrlia. There are a few options around but most are ugly. Thanks

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:48
I have attached a few more pictures. As things progress I will take some more of the car. I was going to keep this car quiet and have managed to for few years now but I get much satisfaction from peoples responce and enquiries. Fire away?

brent
October 5th 2005, 05:58
Wow...

Well done!!! I did not know that was being built here in NZ!!!

Will you be at the Nationals with it???

I went to the nationals many years ago and got very crook, had to turn around and come home [food poisoning]. Not sure to answer you question, It certainly wont see the rain but you never know may just turn up one day.Do you think it may drag a few people up here to Auck if was on display in Giltrap or something? When are the Nat anyway? Cheers Brent.

Tim
October 5th 2005, 07:41
This will definitely be the inspiration for my racing project but I don't think I can build one as stunning as yours. Hope you don't mind?

ricola
October 5th 2005, 09:12
Hi Brent,
Do you have any other pictures of how you remade the lower coilover fixing on the rear trailing arms? I'll need to do this when I fit my G50 and from previously using 1.9" dampers with springs clearance was very tight!

Cheers,
Rich

Uber Affe
October 5th 2005, 09:22
I'm actually most curious about the interior. particularly the dash and how you handled all the wiring and what not. It appears to be completely gone!

Also...How your fron and rear aprons clip on. I had mine converted over in the rear to be removable w/ four small bolts, but never thought about the front. How's it work?

So... Dash, Wiring, front clip.

Bring it!

Heheh damn nice machine you have there.

Jeza
October 5th 2005, 14:24
I went to the nationals many years ago and got very crook, had to turn around and come home [food poisoning]. Not sure to answer you question, It certainly wont see the rain but you never know may just turn up one day.Do you think it may drag a few people up here to Auck if was on display in Giltrap or something? When are the Nat anyway? Cheers Brent.

Nationals are at Easter, 2006 are in New Plymouth.

I would certainly head up to Auckland to check it out if it was on display, at any time.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Jeremy

brent
October 5th 2005, 16:16
This will definitely be the inspiration for my racing project but I don't think I can build one as stunning as yours. Hope you don't mind?

Hi there, sure you can, just an overwhelming amount of dedication, patience and money. not alot to ask it it. Thanks for your kind coments.

brent
October 5th 2005, 16:44
Hi Brent,
Do you have any other pictures of how you remade the lower coilover fixing on the rear trailing arms? I'll need to do this when I fit my G50 and from previously using 1.9" dampers with springs clearance was very tight!

Cheers,
Rich

Yes this was a real tricky little number. I have actualy swapped the arms over first, and completely removed the old shock mount. From here as with all the other bits ive fabricated, made a carboard termplate of a new shock mount to fit the QA1 with Ebach springs which are probably closer to 3". I had noted the position of the original lower shock too. I fabricated a completely new mount out of 5mm plate which was finaly welded in place. I will take a picture for you. The other problem I came accross was the std boot was extremely close [in fact rubbed on the spring] so I used a high speed one which is often used in the centre of rear wheel drive "drive shafts" They are often seen on single seaters. The other bit i had to modify was the top located point. This was simply spaced away from the cast mount by means of a spacer just thick enough to alow the spring to clear the old bump stop casting] Obviously ive removed this rubber anyway and i had trimed the casting a little to compensate. I have also fabricated my own fully adjustable triangulated top stuts to completely stiffen it all up.. [there is a company who offers these but made my own. Realy need to see some pics so hang in there, thanks for you equirery too.

brent
October 5th 2005, 16:45
Nationals are at Easter, 2006 are in New Plymouth.

I would certainly head up to Auckland to check it out if it was on display, at any time.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Jeremy

Will keep you in the loop thanks.

brent
October 5th 2005, 17:06
I'm actually most curious about the interior. particularly the dash and how you handled all the wiring and what not. It appears to be completely gone!

Also...How your fron and rear aprons clip on. I had mine converted over in the rear to be removable w/ four small bolts, but never thought about the front. How's it work?

So... Dash, Wiring, front clip.

Bring it!

Heheh damn nice machine you have there.

Hi there, yes this was alot of work. I have totaly designed and fabricated my own dash, made a mould and have an article. I wanted the dash to resemble a 911 and to ballance well in the car. Also to be uniform with the sreering wheel and gauges. I had removed everything first, built the dash and then had a cage frabricated which the tubes run hard up against the screen. i then cut out the two small areas around the cage. This allows me to get the dash out v-quickly if need be. I will take a picture. The wireing is now on about 4 plugs so easy. The front apron was a new blank which i have fabricted a grill into to alow air into the two fronnt oil coolers. This was also a tricky little number, ive cut away the front of the tyre wel and fabricated in a new piece here too. Needed the clearance for the coolers and obviously to remove them for flushing. I have then welded 4 tags onto the apron and 4 weld nuts into the front body. the guards also have 4 extra holes so the apron can be bolted in place and removed seperately. I plan to just loosen the front few guard bolts, remove the 4 small bolts holding the apron in place and simply remove the apron. The rear has 4 zues clips. i will take a picture here too. Apart from the dash, this is the only other fibre glass bit on the car. Hang in there i wil take some more picutres.
Cheers Brent.

73notch
October 8th 2005, 21:36
man, this car is amazing. Really amazing. i love the wheel choice. O man......
-Ryan

brent
October 8th 2005, 23:09
man, this car is amazing. Really amazing. i love the wheel choice. O man......
-Ryan

Thanks, they are built here in NZ by Arrow wheels. Very similar to the simmons in Australia..or the BBS, all three piece.

super vw
October 9th 2005, 01:32
Your car is such an inspiration for me! I also love the way it's turning out! very neatly done and looks to be well thought out (color choices even!).

BTW, it's neat to see some people from NZ here. I personaly have never been there but I have a friend who's heading to NZ at the end of this month for 4 weeks, She's going with part of a school (shes going as a post grad). They are going to be doing some studdying but since my friend (Kristina) has already graduated she will be doing a lot of Kayaking (white water) as thats one of her hobbies. I think she would love your car, shes very much into motorsports (not specificly the Kafer flavor... but german non the less). I know she would totaly appriciate what you have done.(I gotta show her some of your pics!:D)

Later,
Jonathan

brent
October 9th 2005, 04:48
Your car is such an inspiration for me! I also love the way it's turning out! very neatly done and looks to be well thought out (color choices even!).

BTW, it's neat to see some people from NZ here. I personaly have never been there but I have a friend who's heading to NZ at the end of this month for 4 weeks, She's going with part of a school (shes going as a post grad). They are going to be doing some studdying but since my friend (Kristina) has already graduated she will be doing a lot of Kayaking (white water) as thats one of her hobbies. I think she would love your car, shes very much into motorsports (not specificly the Kafer flavor... but german non the less). I know she would totaly appriciate what you have done.(I gotta show her some of your pics!:D)

Later,
Jonathan

Thanks for that, she will love it here for sure. Ive done a little white water rafting my self,[not kayaking] but with a team in an inflatable.. lot of fun.
Hope Kristina has a great trip too and good to hear of her passion for motorsport..
Brent.

Brent.

SilverBullet
October 9th 2005, 10:38
What size oil lines are you using? 10?

judgie
October 9th 2005, 11:38
cool car.
have built somthing along the same lines myself.
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/413b586cz89009350/4da8/__sr_/c88d.jpg?ph50TSDBzwYgbnBK
some more of the car and what i do with it are hear (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/polly75n/my_photos)
good luck with the rst of the build and look forward to hearing about the huge grin you will have when you drive it for the first time.
cheers rob

Racelook
October 9th 2005, 13:15
Hey Brent.

Wow man what an verry nice car...

I want more pics please!!!

I don't have so much money so I made almost everything my own.. this is the result after 3 years working on my 1303
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/23072005233851.jpg

Wiebrand

Rob
October 9th 2005, 15:05
Sex on wheels :bowdown:

Very, very nice.
I've thought about a removable front apron as well, but didn't have the nerves to actually do it.

Awesome..

Rob.

brent
October 9th 2005, 15:25
What size oil lines are you using? 10?

Hi there, Ive used the biggest possible lines with the tank, pump etc, -10 maybe -12 ? Was a while ago purchased them thanks.

brent
October 9th 2005, 15:30
cool car.
have built somthing along the same lines myself.
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/413b586cz89009350/4da8/__sr_/c88d.jpg?ph50TSDBzwYgbnBK
some more of the car and what i do with it are hear (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/polly75n/my_photos)
good luck with the rst of the build and look forward to hearing about the huge grin you will have when you drive it for the first time.
cheers rob

Thanks Rob, great to see the hill climp pics, people really under estimate the potential of a beetle. My mate has a dry sumped 2.8 lt type4 and constantly beats 95 % most that turn up to events here. I couldnt open the other link? will try again. Brent.

brent
October 10th 2005, 02:15
Sex on wheels :bowdown:

Very, very nice.
I've thought about a removable front apron as well, but didn't have the nerves to actually do it.

Awesome..

Rob.

Hi Rob, it's not too much work but if you want to run an oil cooler up front it's really tight with out making extra room by cutting away the spare wheel well..Give it a go mate. the car wont fall to bits.
Brent.

ricola
October 10th 2005, 11:28
Looking forward to seeing some trailing arm and dash pictures Brent ;)

Cheers, Rich

brent
October 10th 2005, 14:18
Looking forward to seeing some trailing arm and dash pictures Brent ;)

Cheers, Rich

Hey Rich, yes i will try this weekend to take a few more pictures. The weather here has been really bad so hopefully will be clear in a few days. Hang in there my friend.
Brent. :)

Wally
October 11th 2005, 14:44
Amazing car and built! BIG compliments to you Brent!!
Don't let Remmele see this or he will be jealous ;)

Do you have any experience with oil pressure with regard to the front oil Dry sump tank? (as I want to locate it at the front also and opinions differ about the oil pressure drop because of this...)

Thanks,
Walter

judgie
October 11th 2005, 16:39

Do you have any experience with oil pressure with regard to the front oil Dry sump tank? (as I want to locate it at the front also and opinions differ about the oil pressure drop because of this...)

Thanks,
Walter
hello mate
been running mine up front for about a year now and no probs at all.you can not get away with out running a cooler though in hot weather,thought 3 gallon of oil and a big tank would be enough,it is for the hill climbs and sprints but run's a bit to hot on the road in high temp/high speed driving.
cheers rob

brent
October 12th 2005, 00:58

Thanks,
Walter

Hi walter, well the first thing is to run as big oil lines as you posibly can, and if you intend to run tank up front run the lines the straightest posible route. The pump i have used is a bug pack i think, the pressure will be set. I do see peoples concerns but remember that std type 1 has 2.5 lts oil or somthing, the heat created can break down the oil too so having dry sump system alows so much more oil. I was in the Lotus club here in NZ and lots of front engine cars had the tank in the boot so same thing really. My friend has 2.8 lt type 4 dry sumped and has no problems with tank up front. In fact recently did a engine pull down and told me the wear was nil, just change oil regulary. Oil cooler is a must too, i have two alloy ones up front.
I have also seen where too much pressure can damage bearings and give excesive oil leaks. Actualy you may be able to tell me something? oils have come along way with this synthetic stuff, but i heard a rumour where the synthetic oils can seep though a magnesium case? the type 4 alloy case ok? what do you think Walter? Brent.

brent
October 12th 2005, 06:28
Hi again, here are a few more pics of various things viewers have asked for.
Hope you think they are up to the task. Brent

Racelook
October 12th 2005, 08:11
Nice!! :D

Do you maybe have some pics of the fitted dash and of the removable rear-valance??

Grt Wiebrand

brent
October 12th 2005, 15:02
Nice!! :D

Do you maybe have some pics of the fitted dash and of the removable rear-valance??

Grt Wiebrand

Hi, yes will get these, i had taken several pics but some seem to be bad focus so will try again.
Brent.

brent
October 12th 2005, 15:59
Air box and plentum boxes are alloy, engine lid should seal around panel filter. Hey it's not carbon fibre but didnt cost me much either, just a dam lot of work. Good to be different eh?
Brent.

jonas_linder
October 12th 2005, 18:13
this car is so nice!

Clean and.. I just love it :)

Great work on the panelfilter!

brent
October 15th 2005, 03:21
this car is so nice!

Clean and.. I just love it :)

Great work on the panelfilter!

Thanks, all it needs now is to have some air finaly sucked through it.

Steve C
October 15th 2005, 05:20
Hi

I’m blown away, that is a work of art.

I noticed that your running your oil coolers in series, feeding from one into the other, I wonder if it would be better to run them in parallel, teeing the line before and after the coolers, that way cooled oil from the 1st cooler would not become sluggish when passing through the 2nd cooler. Maybe it would not make a difference.

Steve

brent
October 15th 2005, 14:35
Hi

I’m blown away, that is a work of art.

I noticed that your running your oil coolers in series, feeding from one into the other, I wonder if it would be better to run them in parallel, teeing the line before and after the coolers, that way cooled oil from the 1st cooler would not become sluggish when passing through the 2nd cooler. Maybe it would not make a difference.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your kind coments, yep might be something to think about. I have a friend who runs two of the same here in his big type 4, he has had no problems so far so had no reason to change the route. The joiner between them is fairly big. Just bleed the brakes yestersday so things are warming up already. little bit of wireing left then will be close to giving it a kick in the pants! Brent. [thought best to have brakes first]

zen
October 16th 2005, 14:35
brent,

excellent job. very impressed with your car. permission to pull some of your pics over into the GermanLook.com gallery for others to gawk at?

brent
October 17th 2005, 03:18
brent,

excellent job. very impressed with your car. permission to pull some of your pics over into the GermanLook.com gallery for others to gawk at?

Hi there, thanks for your kind words. Yes that would be fine, I will also attach another picture when guards are on which should be soon...would be great to see this in a prime spot Zen!
Regards Brent.

ricola
October 17th 2005, 04:04
Hi Brent,
Did you ever get access to take pics of the trailing arms with new coil-over mount?
Cheers, Rich

brent
October 17th 2005, 05:18
Hi Brent,
Did you ever get access to take pics of the trailing arms with new coil-over mount?
Cheers, Rich

Yes, I have some older photos on a cd with a good pic, need to reduce the file size so will sort this out tomorrow from work. you have been patient too.
Brent.

ricola
October 17th 2005, 06:58
Much appreciated :)

Rich

brent
October 18th 2005, 02:13
Here are some pics of the rear end with the modifiied rear arms re new shock mount. Brent.

ricola
October 18th 2005, 03:56
thanks Brent, looks good! What size spring is that?
Rich

brent
October 18th 2005, 04:13
thanks Brent, looks good! What size spring is that?
Rich

Hi, its 0700.250.0400 and 85mm OD. I would say they are too light but with the shock wound up she is stiff so will run the car and see from here. should be able to work out the ideal rate once on the road/track. I will let you know what I end up with. I think would be bad to have a stiff spring that overpowers the shock. These Ebach springs are fairly cheap and easy to replace. Hope the picture helps your plan of attack? Brent.

ricola
October 18th 2005, 05:59
Yes, it gives me a better idea of space available. I'm using a G50 pushed forwards so I will have to be very careful with axle to damper clearance. I think I'll have to mock up the trans first to see how much space I have left.

Spring rates will have to wait, it will be in a 1303 cabrio with G50 and WRX engine so that's a new combination as far as I am aware!

Rich

judgie
October 18th 2005, 12:05
Yes, it gives me a better idea of space available. I'm using a G50 pushed forwards so I will have to be very careful with axle to damper clearance. I think I'll have to mock up the trans first to see how much space I have left.

Spring rates will have to wait, it will be in a 1303 cabrio with G50 and WRX engine so that's a new combination as far as I am aware!

Rich
have a look at the j-sport car.the shocks are mounted on top of the arm with a new mount fabricated and tied into the rear roll cage.
this is the way i'm going as the rules say i can run a min of 40mm ground clearance and i want that to be the flat under try and not suspension.
cheers rob

dirk.Gysbrechts
October 18th 2005, 13:46
Very,VERY,VERY nice car.....i am in love....

brent
October 18th 2005, 14:19

Rich

Wow, thats a different configureation. Would like to see some pics of this too?
Brent

brent
October 18th 2005, 14:21
Very,VERY,VERY nice car.....i am in love....

Thanks for that, keep watch as things are moving fairly fast. I just want to hear the engine fire and feel the cluch start to grab. Getting that feeling.
Brent

ricola
October 19th 2005, 04:11
Wow, thats a different configureation. Would like to see some pics of this too?
Brent

Loads of pics of the build up on my website of this car and my previous projects...

have a look at the j-sport car.the shocks are mounted on top of the arm with a new mount fabricated and tied into the rear roll cage.
this is the way i'm going as the rules say i can run a min of 40mm ground clearance and i want that to be the flat under try and not suspension.
cheers rob

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't notice that when I last looked through their pics! I'll have to think more about how I am going to rebuild the rear end...

Rich

brent
October 26th 2005, 03:57
Hey Brent.

Wow man what an verry nice car...

I want more pics please!!!

I don't have so much money so I made almost everything my own.. this is the result after 3 years working on my 1303
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/23072005233851.jpg

Wiebrand

Hi there, well i think you have very similar taste to me by looking at your car. I some how missed your picture so sorry but i would be keen if you kept me in thje loop on yours too. If you have any more pics of the pan, brakes, wheels, engine would be great to see. Thanks.

Racelook
October 26th 2005, 13:01
Hi Brent

You don't have to appologize..I fully understand. :D

Here's an link to an topic of my little car
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5950&page=1&highlight=racelook

My engine wouldn't be so special.. I just don't have the money for it now. I first want to ride with it :D :eek: :D

Keep up the good work Brent.

Love your car!!!

Wiebrand

brent
October 26th 2005, 14:40
Hi Brent

You don't have to appologize..I fully understand. :D

Here's an link to an topic of my little car
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5950&page=1&highlight=racelook

My engine wouldn't be so special.. I just don't have the money for it now. I first want to ride with it :D :eek: :D

Keep up the good work Brent.

Love your car!!!

Wiebrand

Hi Wiebrand, o yes i have seen these pictures. I also understand how much work is gone on too. I was going to run a larger fuel line through the pan but decided it was easyer to run it throught the car. Turned out costing an arm and a leg and ended up being alot of work anyway. Yes you may not have the big engine but yours will be reliable. If mine decidied to let go it would get parked for quite a while. I think there is around 26k in the engine and box in parts. God what possesed me to take on such a challanged. All i can say is i truely have a patient wife and son who have alowed me the fredom of spending countless hours often till 1 am in the morning in the shed. It would be interesting to hear how others manage too. Some have bulit these amasing cars in 1-2 yrs. How? Single? No kids? or maybe they paid someone to do it? Brent.

brent
November 14th 2005, 14:20
New picture of guards in place. They are not the best pictures so will take few more. Just to fill you in, the front guards have been sectioned 50mm and the rear have been sectioned 80 mm. They are all steel. Have also rolled the rim round a 5mm steel wire to retain the shape and strenght. Yes a little more weight but hey, nice not too be glass either. I dont plan on bending one but have concidered making moulds later date. Hope you like .Brent.

dirk.Gysbrechts
November 14th 2005, 14:30
Very,Very nice!!! I wanne see more pictures!!!! :trophy:

Racelook
November 14th 2005, 18:48
JUST LIKE SEX!!! ;)

Keep us posted!!!

Wiebrand

verno-dub
November 18th 2005, 01:07
JUST LIKE SEX!!! ;)

Keep us posted!!!

Wiebrand

Quoted for truth. Is there such a thing as being in love with a car? lol...

brent
November 18th 2005, 13:43

Thanks, they will be coming sir.Brent.

1303L
November 26th 2005, 05:24
:) Hi Brent,

You are very professional. Real craftmanship work done. Your 1303 looks beautiful. Hope to see it and hear the engine sound. Will like to see somemore pics once you installed the four guards. May I know your wheel pattern, is it still 4x130 and how much for the set of NZ made wheels?

Cheers
1303 fan from Rotorua.

kevinrocks
November 27th 2005, 21:25
Man, that car is beautiful.

brent
December 5th 2005, 04:38

Hi sorry for slow reply, yes car is basicaly finished...had it's first run this weekend and went well. I will try get some more pictures v-soon thanks.

brent
December 5th 2005, 04:45
:) Hi Brent,

You are very professional. Real craftmanship work done. Your 1303 looks beautiful. Hope to see it and hear the engine sound. Will like to see somemore pics once you installed the four guards. May I know your wheel pattern, is it still 4x130 and how much for the set of NZ made wheels?

Cheers
1303 fan from Rotorua.

Hi there, well i have used a commodore stud pattern, this was to give me lots of wheel options,15" -18" .... Porsche are expensive and few options. The wheels would be camparable to Simmons so probably 3-4k set plus tyres. I loved the old shell sport series in 70's so car was influenced by this a little. Thanks for your kind coments too. More pictures will come.

brent
December 5th 2005, 04:49
Man, that car is beautiful.

Thank you sir. keep an eye out for more pics and info coming. Brent.

brent
January 7th 2006, 16:00
Hi, well here are a few long awaited pitures for you all to mull over. I must say im delighted with the outcome too. You can see the finished guards which to refresh you the rear have been widend 80mm and the front 50mm. They are all steel too [without the ugly flare] so one day when can aford may take glass moulds..let me know if anyone interested in a set? the more sets the better the price. I still have the glass dash which fits supperb, may consider selling these too? RHD for those in Europe. Would rather get order for 5-10 sets first if posible. All windows are lexan apart from front screen which is new green tinted laminated screen. I have now taken this car around track here in NZ, and went v-well for first day out, remember every nut bolt has been changed among many modifications so pretty happy. ps num plate position only temp to take around bloc.. Any feed back welcome. Brent.

judgie
January 7th 2006, 16:10
looking very cool,well done on a exerlent build.know you can have the fun with it :D
cheers rob

brent
January 7th 2006, 17:06
looking very cool,well done on a exerlent build.know you can have the fun with it :D
cheers rob

Thanks will add more as testing progresses. brent.

VWNZ
January 7th 2006, 21:39
lookin forward to seeing it at the taranaki nationals mate.

:cool:

volkdent
January 7th 2006, 21:49
Very, VERY hot! Now how about some video? Of course the smoky burnout ones always do something for me....

Jason

super vw
January 7th 2006, 21:56
Exelent.... i love the dash

brent
January 7th 2006, 23:00
lookin forward to seeing it at the taranaki nationals mate.

:cool:

mmmmmm bit worried about too many factory folk there...may give em a heart attack. I will see how things plan thanks.

brent
January 7th 2006, 23:02
Very, VERY hot! Now how about some video? Of course the smoky burnout ones always do something for me....

Jason

Heya, yea well as long as it's tyre smoke and not exaust smoke would be great. I will be driving next week so will try video in car?? dont have one will try and scrounge one! Thanks.

brent
January 7th 2006, 23:04
Exelent.... i love the dash

Yes came out well, things just seem to procastinate as other things take a while. I sort of wanted to keep to myself but would be good to get a return on few fabricated things too..Thanks for your coment sir Brent.

Steve C
January 8th 2006, 02:11
Hi

Looking good. Do you have any closer pictures of the dash?

Steve

brent
January 8th 2006, 05:32
Hi

Looking good. Do you have any closer pictures of the dash?

Steve

Hi there, I think there is a close picture all ready listed but might not be in car? i will take another couple next time I get a chance eh..thanks.

Steve C
January 8th 2006, 05:45
Thanks, that would be great, the picture you posted was a bit shady.

fullnoise
January 8th 2006, 07:44
Your car looks amazing. The guards look excellent. It looks so fast I bet you could get a speeding ticket with it just sitting in the driveway like that. Well done.

It might even be worth crossing the pond just to see it on the track.

CYA CT

brent
January 8th 2006, 15:25
Thanks, that would be great, the picture you posted was a bit shady.

Sure, hang in there mate.

brent
January 8th 2006, 15:30
Your car looks amazing. The guards look excellent. It looks so fast I bet you could get a speeding ticket with it just sitting in the driveway like that. Well done.

It might even be worth crossing the pond just to see it on the track.

CYA CT

Yes I think it would certainly attract the police. I have to get the thing certified next so they can only give me a ticket and not take the car. My mate here has 2.9 lt type 4 in his and 6 yrs developing the car so dam fast.
Pop over one day for sure. Brent.

libila
January 8th 2006, 16:41
Your project looks wonderful! It's definantly now an inspiration.

brent
January 8th 2006, 17:47
Your project looks wonderful! It's definantly now an inspiration.

Thank you this makes it all worth the effort. Brent.

KDEE
January 15th 2006, 16:33
Stunning car...period!!

Where did you get those trailing arms though??
Kev :agree:

Typ Vier
January 16th 2006, 00:01
Hi Brent,

Looks like the rear hubs worked;-)

Great car

brent
January 16th 2006, 21:56
Stunning car...period!!

Where did you get those trailing arms though??

Hi, well I asume you mean the rear irs arms? They are factory arms and I swapped sides, removed the old shock mount and fabricated a new one to take QA1 alloy shocks and Eibach springs. Was alot of work actualy, but seems to be working well. I drove yes [ Monday] at a track and is good but still alot of sorting to get handling perfect. Will try post more pictures of car on track and maybe some video soon...Brent.

brent
January 16th 2006, 21:59
Hi Brent,

Looks like the rear hubs worked;-)

Great car

Yep pretty happy, just need more milage and fine tuning to get right, but considering mods, cant complain. Thanks Brent.

KDEE
January 17th 2006, 14:27
My mistake..what I meant were the trailing arms that were in place of the standard spring plates.
Thanks,

brent
January 17th 2006, 17:08
My mistake..what I meant were the trailing arms that were in place of the standard spring plates.
Thanks,

O yes, the uniball set up. Yea this certainly removes all the play in this area and makes toe settings simple. I was planning on making a compression strut up the front too and running the sway bar independantly but where does it stop? Anyway, i have located the point for this so maybe one day I will tackle this bit. Thanks Brent.

Tedzbug
January 17th 2006, 19:42
Amazing car..... I was wondering what size heim joints you are using on the steering rack. Is that setup stock bolt in? or is the rack reworked or non-stock?

ted

KDEE
January 18th 2006, 13:53
Who does those uniball arms?? :agree:

brent
January 18th 2006, 23:46
Amazing car..... I was wondering what size heim joints you are using on the steering rack. Is that setup stock bolt in? or is the rack reworked or non-stock?

ted

Hi there, the rod ends are crome molly 1/2" and ive made the steering arms out of molly too. The rack is a v-early Mk 1 passat to which i had to have the spline rewoked. I also had to make the rack mounts. The steering shaft has been modified also. To locate the rack properly, i had cut the inner guard away a little and insered weld nuts so all looks factory and was very secure. The other two areas which needed attn is where the steering universal runs under the tank. I had to cut and fabricate a pannel here to clear the shaft. The second area is the pan... the top of the pad head needed cutting away to clear the rack. You can see on the 75 model the differance here. once again was carried out as factory. I have drilled out the steering arms on the stub axles to run a 1/2 " cap screw, also you can see i have run the rod end under the arm with a molly spacer to get the bump steer right. The inner rod ends on the rack are also 1/2" and made special molly spacers here to. To tell you the truth it was alot of work but i do think it's worth it in the end, especialy on a race car. Brent.

brent
January 18th 2006, 23:48
Who does those uniball arms?? :agree:

MBT ENGINEERING...they are a German co which also sells the rear coil overs too. Plus all the big brakes and calipers. I looked at making myself but hey everything just costs and takes time. Brent.

1303L
February 5th 2006, 06:00
Hi Brent,

Here is a NOS Kamei front spoiler/air damp for sale on trademe. You may interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46874865

MX67
February 5th 2006, 07:27
I can't believe how good Your car is. Especially when when I look at suspension and brakes. AND attention for detail which is FIRST CLASS!

Well, You're on the top of mine inspiration list. And thank's for that! :righton:

brent
February 5th 2006, 15:45
Hi Brent,

Here is a NOS Kamei front spoiler/air damp for sale on trademe. You may interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46874865

Hi, it's all about timing eh, I have recently purchased a full racing front glass one from Australia, saw it in a mag on a race car and they made two 1 for me and my mate.. I will keep an eye on it though so thanks very much for spotting it. Regards Brent.

brent
February 5th 2006, 15:51
I can't believe how good Your car is. Especially when when I look at suspension and brakes. AND attention for detail which is FIRST CLASS!

Well, You're on the top of mine inspiration list. And thank's for that! :righton:

Thank you for your kind coments, im sure your car has a little kick *** too.
It's quite amasing how subtle differances can make your car unique. Yes suspension was expensive and a hell of a lot of work. I have the intentions one day to purchase some 17-18" wheels too which would give the car another completely different look. Brent.

MX67
February 8th 2006, 06:53
Just keep on doing such a good things to Your Bug :agree:

Even if I'm not a 18 inch lover :confused:

brent
February 9th 2006, 22:56
Just keep on doing such a good things to Your Bug :agree:

Even if I'm not a 18 inch lover :confused:

I look forward to seeing that one though. Brent.

ccain529
February 18th 2006, 05:53
Oh WOW!!!! That has to be the most beautiful and well built VW I have ever seen! Pardon me for being crude, but I had to keep a towel handy whilst looking at the pics! I'm lucky I didn't get electricuted! :laugh:

Seriously....Wonderful Job!!! :agree: :agree: :agree:
Cheers!

turboL
February 18th 2006, 08:10
Hey Mate nice bug,Im doing a 75 1303 at the moment ,I dig your dash if you can give me a one off price that would be greate, drop me an email at jdemeur@bigpond.net.au Ill send you some picks of my progect,2.4 turbo porch brakes etc cheers JS

brent
February 18th 2006, 15:21
Oh WOW!!!! That has to be the most beautiful and well built VW I have ever seen! Pardon me for being crude, but I had to keep a towel handy whilst looking at the pics! I'm lucky I didn't get electricuted! :laugh:

Seriously....Wonderful Job!!! :agree: :agree: :agree:
Cheers!

Thank you, yours looks very clean and tasty too. Nice car. I look forward the the day my car makes the German look cover page.......god loves a tryer eh!

brent
February 18th 2006, 15:24
Hey Mate nice bug,Im doing a 75 1303 at the moment ,I dig your dash if you can give me a one off price that would be greate, drop me an email at jdemeur@bigpond.net.au Ill send you some picks of my progect,2.4 turbo porch brakes etc cheers JS

Thanks, I will have a look into it Brent.

dubKustom
February 22nd 2006, 10:39
Amazing car! Beautiful engineering and unbelievably clean too :clap: :clap::clap::clap:
A real work of art!

Dasdubber
February 22nd 2006, 18:50
Absolutely fantastic and inspiring work Brent - the attention to detail is superb and level of engineering is really impressive! I hope the fine tuning goes without too many dramas, look forward to seeing more pics (esp interior).

I love the deep dish rims on the rear! :agree:

Cheers
Alan

brent
February 23rd 2006, 02:35
Amazing car! Beautiful engineering and unbelievably clean too :clap: :clap::clap::clap:
A real work of art!

Thanks, these kind coments seem to make all the effort worth while. Brent.

brent
February 23rd 2006, 02:38
Absolutely fantastic and inspiring work Brent - the attention to detail is superb and level of engineering is really impressive! I hope the fine tuning goes without too many dramas, look forward to seeing more pics (esp interior).

I love the deep dish rims on the rear! :agree:

Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan, yes i like the deep dish look too, brings back the shell sport days here in the 70's. The tuning will take a while, just need to put some milage on. I will try and take some interior shots soon, what there is of it. Brent.

verno-dub
February 25th 2006, 21:18
Brent. I was wondering, what is left to do on your project? Seems like majority of things are finished. Also, what is the size of those rear tires? 10" rims right?

brent
February 25th 2006, 23:32
Brent. I was wondering, what is left to do on your project? Seems like majority of things are finished. Also, what is the size of those rear tires? 10" rims right?

Yes basicaly finished, I will put in another seat and belts. I also intend to have the car certified by an enginner so i can drive the thing o the road, obviously. The fronts are 8" x 15" and the rear are 10" x 15" . I will also play with larger 17" wheels one day. There amy be some small things too but thats it. Brent.

Big Al
March 2nd 2006, 08:32
HELL YEAH MAN!

No words good enough to describe it and your work!

Ive looked up to this car for a long time man! Well done!

Alexx

brent
March 10th 2006, 05:37
HELL YEAH MAN!

No words good enough to describe it and your work!

Ive looked up to this car for a long time man! Well done!

Alexx

Thank you sir, good to hear from someone just over the ditch. How is your car running? is it a serious thing? Brent.

AusSuper
March 12th 2006, 05:01
alex's car is awesome like yours brent, the green super they own i think its his dads or brothers is gr8 aswell, but hey i love supers, keep the updates coming, love your car, inspirational

brent
March 12th 2006, 15:23
alex's car is awesome like yours brent, the green super they own i think its his dads or brothers is gr8 aswell, but hey i love supers, keep the updates coming, love your car, inspirational

Thanks, yes I like supers as well, the 03 seems to be a little less claustrophobic not having the flat screen 2" in front of you. just my thoughts. Brent.

Ribz
March 25th 2006, 22:05
AMAZING! i tip my hat to you :agree: keep the pics coming, im a picture whore
lol

brent
March 25th 2006, 22:17
AMAZING! i tip my hat to you :agree: keep the pics coming, im a picture whore
lol

Thank you, yes i will get some more pictures taken soon.. Wait for the rain to stop! Brent.

Ribz
March 31st 2006, 17:19
what side view mirror is that? looks F1-ish. :cool: is it functional?

brent
March 31st 2006, 17:40
what side view mirror is that? looks F1-ish. :cool: is it functional?

Yes very small, Demon Tweeks i think are the suppliers. It certainly looks the part and is areodynamic butprobably not so good on a road car. serves the purpose on the track. Thanks.

brent
August 15th 2006, 04:07
Well, winter is hopefully coming to an end soon. I will start to play with settings on this car and keep you in the loop with progress too. I have not been in this site for a while so missed alot of chat. Always nice to see newe projects. Brent.

56oval
August 15th 2006, 07:18
this looks the business ,one of the hardess looking germanlook bugs,it screems track :D

brent
August 15th 2006, 17:09
this looks the business ,one of the hardess looking germanlook bugs,it screems track :D

Yes, it certainly has the go fast gear. Only been on the track once really, havent even looked at type presures so a long way to go yet. I do plan to get this road legal too, needs engineering cert 500 odd dollars and hopefully he likes wha he sees too then that sunday drive [screem] can happen. Brent.

chug_A_bug
August 15th 2006, 17:14
I'm just hoping that mine will look that good v ery very nice work :D

brent
August 21st 2006, 06:35
I'm just hoping that mine will look that good v ery very nice work :D

Im sure it will, I like to see everyones different ideas.

brent
December 5th 2007, 21:36
Hi there. Well it has been a while since i been in this site. I lost reverse in the car and then got tangled in house alterations. Say no more. Anyway next week i plan to pull the box out and sort it all out. Time for a skid! I would ask, the box is a single side plate with sherman 5 speed and the whole gear changing part is dificult and really crap. Any bright ideas to help? I have one of those BUG pack shifters. Ta Brent.

brent
December 26th 2007, 05:26
Mate thats insane...

I bet there are a lot of VW Kiwis that would love to see that.

Hows about a quick post at www.nzveedubnuts.com

I wonder how many people down here knew you were building such an awesome car.

Hopefully it makes it to a nationals... it would give me a good reason to show up!

Cheers
Jeremy

It will be at the coming nationals... Brent

termolis
April 17th 2008, 22:50
Fantastic engineering - I am currently building a 1303 road beetle and have been looking for an ice silver blue colour just like this - could you please tell me the colour name, code details etc ?

brent
April 20th 2008, 19:53
Hi there. I would if I could, unsure.... actualy the colour was a special mix done by me mate....bit if this and a bit of that. I could as him if you wish it looks like chrome in the sun quite amasing. Brent

termolis
April 20th 2008, 21:05
Hello Brent.

Yes that would be fantastic if you could ask your mate for the colour.

Hope to hear from you soon Wallace..

brent
July 1st 2009, 04:45
FYI...Finally got around to finishing off this 915 install. Was actualy alot of work but worth it in the end. I have solid mounted the box completely and vibration is zero! Best thing i ever did. Engine doesnt shake around as before. Whole clutch has been changed..rigid set up now. Box positioned within mm of original. Changed inner cv's, used 915 shifter and modified the std beetle linkage and shaft. No bend inside the tunnel and works perfect. Just had to reposition the front shifter bush in the tunnel. Removed the old heater tubes in the rear of the tunnel for shift rod clearance. Shifter spacings are perfect too. Have read many peoples articles and taken on board all there ideas but in the end have gone about it my own way from scratch and im very pleased with the result.

volkdent
July 1st 2009, 12:44
As always hungry eyes need pictures!!

Jason

brent
July 1st 2009, 16:50
Pictures will come within few days, probably weekend hang in there.

STIDUB
July 2nd 2009, 03:16
wow, i thought this was dead, been wondering about it for a year or so, bring on the pics :)

brent
July 2nd 2009, 03:35
Been worken too much, i feel dead too! Pictures will come v soon.

brent
September 11th 2009, 22:16
Few pictures of the "solid mount" 915 install.

TSAF
October 3rd 2011, 11:11
We need more photos of this TRUE GL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!