PDA

View Full Version : suspension set-ups

havik180
November 11th 2002, 22:14
I recently bought a '72 super and am interested in converting it to a German Looker. I am new to supers and would like some help/tips on suspension set-up for improved handling ! any help is appreciated !

Supa Ninja
November 12th 2002, 12:30
Congrat on your fine choice in vehicles! I recently did a little suspension work to my Supa and I am very happy with the results. There are a lot of options you have to decide before you start spending your money on parts. For example if you want to run 944 front spindles the '73 1/2 and later Super Beetle struts bolt up with very little mods or you can run early Super struts and modifiy the Supers spindles. I'm going with the later and I've got a set of Topline's Maxx struts, I am very happy with them and as soon as I have some more money I'm gunna finish up the GL morph and stuff some 17's under the fenders. I also opted for the 7/8" sway bar but down the road I might be getting the Whiteline adjustable swaybar. Of course I have a strut brace, too. In the back I put in an adjustable spring plate and shorter torsion bars. I also installed a 3/4" swaybar. I'm running 15" 8-spoke with the 175/55R15 Contenentals in front and 195/60R15's in back and it handles like a gocart. I do want to change the rear control arms to the aluminum 944 turbo with spring plate, torsion bar, and swaybar.
Havik180 do your research and make a decision on what you want then get it. Peace!

TitoRay
November 12th 2002, 17:45
Check these websites for VERY valuable info...

www.toplineparts.com
www.superbeetlesonly.com

These sites will give you almost all the products and information you need.

I suggest you start with the Maxx Struts from Topline. That was my first step to going GL. They allow a lot of drop and are designed so that you can fit big wheels. Be sure to check them out.