PDA

View Full Version : type 3 torsion bars

havik180
November 12th 2002, 21:33
As I've been reading more about Super beetles I've noticed a lot have type 3 torsion bars in the rear , I was just curious what benefit these have over stock type 1's and how difficult is the conversion ? (or if it's even worth it)

Chris Percival
November 13th 2002, 05:06
I believe they are slightly thicker giving a greater spring rate (harder ride)..

kdanie
November 14th 2002, 13:28
Type 3 Square back torsion bars are the ones to find, they are a couple mm larger dia. (they are unobtainable where I live). They are a bolt on, no modification necessary. I understand that 944 bars are also a bolt on. They come in a variety of sizes. I have some 944S bars coming (should be delivered today or tomorrow). With a 5 speed and type 4 I have a little more rear end weight and I plan on spending some time on a road course when it is complete so I think the heavier bars will help. From what I hear most GLs don't use adjustable spring plates because the adjusting pads/bolts take up space for wider tires. It is easy to get the ride height you want by turning your bars/spring plates. You can get 1 deg. changes by rotating the splines opposite directions. There are a different number of splines on each end of the torsion bar so if you go up 1 spline on one end and down 1 spline on the other you can get 1 deg. change. If you just move one end or the other the changes are different and greater.
I hope this is not too confusing...
ken

Moog
November 14th 2002, 14:12
And if you can find them, the heavy duty squareback ones are the stiffest. They were a special heavy duty order for high loads such as towing or the commercial hi-payload squarback van.

Common as muck of course.... :D

chigger
November 27th 2002, 01:56
My bud is drag racing a T3 station wagon with a T4 motor and he wanted to stiffen the rear end as it squats too much. The T3 came with a standard and heavy duty torsion bar. The standard is the same as the bug and the heavy duty is the same as the early 944. If you need a further upgrade the stock turbo 944 is the way to go. It would probable be to much for a bug, but would be great for a Split bus with IRS or a heavy T3. I got my torsion bars for an early 944 same as the heavy duty T3 bar off ebay for $20. I have found the Porsche fellows are always upgrading (and we aren't heh heh) and their cast offs are just what we need. I will be running a T4 motor, towing a trailer, and hopefully racing is why I decided to upgrade. If you need to upgrade the front springs to match I would go with a single spring pack from a model 181 (thing) in the bottom tube. An if more is necessary both spring packs. One is about 10% heavier and two is about 20% heavier. You could also mix and match to get what you wanted. Hope it helps.
Also Swayaway has any size you need. A ten% increase in spring stiffness would increase the handling stiffness and ride harshness. A lot of other factors enter in. It would take you from stock daily driver to serious handling, with the other recomened modifications.

chigger
November 28th 2002, 12:06
I just went looking for some bars on Ebay they had a pair off a 944 turbo. The bars were 23mm probably actually 23.5mm which is the same as mine off an early standard 944. This is the same bar as on the T3 station wagon for heavy duty use. This is the size bar the road racer and drag racers recomend for a cheap upgrade without going aftermarket. It is the right diameter, but is the turbo bar the right length? You would have to email the seller and ask. There were two different auctions and the bars were less than $20.00 a pair. That is a steal at that price. At that price you could buy them just to see if they would fit.