PDA

View Full Version : custom spacers

oasis
November 16th 2005, 16:21
I thought I had read somewhere VDub Engineering offers custom made spacers. (I searched but could not find.) Am I correct in remembering this?

I could go the source I went to once but I would rather support a sponsor if applicable.

I think I will need one 12mm spacer in a 5x100 (A4) bolt pattern and a 72.3mm center hole. I will know for sure once I acquire a donut spare in that pattern.

(Sidebar: I bought a regular spare to take to Bug Jam in an emergency but the stinking thing didn't fit into the wheel well and took up too much room in an angled fashion similar to standard Beetles.)

Panelfantastic
November 16th 2005, 19:36
I'm sure Lanner will chime in soon but this sounds like an easy project for him. I think he also went to BugJam?? He may not be recovered yet... :D

Jeff-

oasis
November 17th 2005, 11:40
I think [Lanner] also went to BugJam?? He may not be recovered yet... :D
Yes, the return to reality isn't always easy. :D

I have five days of work to do in three days so it may be a while before I locate a 5x100 donut (assuming there is such a thing) which I need to be sure of the spacer width. 12mm would work for my "real" spare but my "real" spare doesn't work when not in use.

Talk about a cold dose of reality. :rolleyes: I actually need a donut instead of a "real" spare. :banghead:

oasis
November 17th 2005, 11:43
It just dawned on me ... I either didn't meet Lanner or I don't remember meeting him. :confused: I hate it when I start geezing. :o

flat
November 17th 2005, 20:45
GL1302,

I was down in FLA for Dyno Day/Bug Jam. I eye'd your car at the best western, I love the rims. Too bad we didn't meet. Maybe I'll see all you 'southern' guys in the spring dyno event in GA.

I'm surpired you need spacers. My '72 super has a 15x6 et 42 spare wheel with a 195/60 tire. It clears my springs (honda coil conversion, no spacers) and also just barely fits in the spare tire well.

If you need spacers, I can machine up anything you need. Wittled from solid aluminum billet. Do you need hub centric spacers? If so, then I need about 15mm thickness if the male and female hub size are the same. If you don't need hub centric spacers, any size is possible. Shoot me a email to discuss details...lanner@vdubcustoms.com

oasis
November 18th 2005, 10:39
I'm [surprised] you need spacers.
Need? When I test-fitted the "real" spare onto the car's front, there was 1-1.5mm of space on the inside. I don't remember if that is all my Wolfsburg Edition BBS's (16x6½ et42) had. I was skitterish that there might be a rub with the "real" spare should there be any body flex while driving.

I have 6mm spacers currently on the front but that was to accommodate the "VW" center caps.

I don't even know if VW makes a 5x100 donut. If they do, it won't necessarily have the same backspacing. The only car I ever had with a donut is my Cabrio ... but that's a 4x100 wheel.

My '72 super has a 15x6 et 42 spare wheel with a 195/60 tire. It ... just barely fits in the spare tire well.
That's the size spare I have. The overall diameter would fit into the well. Its added width (height when laying flat) won't pinch in because of the upper level's overhang. We're only talking about a couple or so millimeters but it was enough to make getting the legitimate spare out a test in anger management and is enough I cannot wedge the new sucker in there.

If you don't need hub centric spacers, any size is possible. Shoot me a email to discuss details...lanner@vdubcustoms.com
I won't be needing hub-centric spacers because the Ghia-based hubs stick way out.

I will send one when I know for sure what I need with the donut. (Make a sticky post somewhere if your e-mail should change to your new name.)

Thanks.