PDA

View Full Version : Real 17" Boxter wheels???

vujade
November 15th 2002, 14:44
IS $1000 a pretty good deal for 2 7 x 17 & 2 8.5 x 17 Boxter twist wheels with 205/40/17 & 225/40/17 tires?

let me know please?

tires are in 75% good shape...one wheel has road rash (minor)

Alex
November 15th 2002, 14:54
Yes....I think so.
Perfect size of tires too. Did they come of a bug?

vujade
November 15th 2002, 14:57
no they were on a Corrado with wheel adapters
weird huh?

NYBugman1972
November 15th 2002, 15:29
The H2O boy's like the porsche wheels also. I've seen some pics of a Rabbit/Golf mk1 on polished cup 1's. Porsche wheels make everything look better.

Anyway... It sounds like a fair deal. I saw the set you're talking about. The only thing i'd do is switch rear tires. 225 may be stretched, but i'm not sure. Then again, I have steamroller-esque 245-45's on the same wheels :D

Personally speaking, a lot of wheels look good, but Porsche wheels are like "IT".

Pillow
November 15th 2002, 17:03
Sounds like a good deal to me.

vujade
November 15th 2002, 17:13
NyBugman72

they are actuall 215/40/17 in the rear and 205/40/17 in the front

Alex
November 15th 2002, 17:39
The perfect size if you want to fit them under stock fenders!!

Alex

VW911
November 15th 2002, 19:52
Were they on a black Corrado with some tricked out round ball-shaped taillights? I saw this car in VA at a VW show.

Be careful because There are a few companies that made these wheels and the turbo twist wheels on a 5x100 bolt pattern. Make sure they are 5x130 bolt pattern. $1000.00 for rims and tires is not bad. Before you buy check out some Porsche classified sites because there are other deals that are better than that one, exspecially if you are going to have to buy new tires to fit these rims to your VW. If you are looking for rims only you can get them much cheaper than that. Just last week I was looking at one of the classified sites and a guy had some new take-offs rims only for $700, and another guy had new take-offs with only 5K on rims and tires for $550. It is all about having the money at the right time and searching for the deal!!!

I ws thinking of putting some PT Cruiser wheels on my super. I found a guy in TX that has a brand new take-off set w/ tires chrome for $400 plus shipping.

SO SHOP AROUND

NYBugman1972
November 15th 2002, 21:03
I know the wheels vujade is talking about. They are 5x130. They were put on the Corrado with 4x100-5x130 adapters. They look good, but if you can wait, go to some porsche swap meets and look around there.

Also, ebay has better deals sometimes. I picked my wheels up for $600, and didnt ship. The guy lived 5 minutes from me. However, that's a one in a million.

Now that I think of it, 1000 is a little high, especially because of the year/style of the wheel. It's not the newest out there.

Maybe you should pass... But comes close to the price of the Konig's you were looking at. Plus it has tires in good sizes.

Hey, It's you're $ You know what's best.

Philippe
November 16th 2002, 15:43
hey VW911, are you willing to share which classifieds you saw these ads in?

vujade
November 16th 2002, 15:49
i am going to hold off... mainly because i really dont want to run 8.5" rims in the rear.. I want to run 7" all the way around.

zen
November 16th 2002, 23:50
that is a fair price. not great, not bad. and i did the research to back that up. i looked for months.

choose your size first and foremost...then buy. that is about the same exact setup i have now. except i am running 245/40's in the rear. and i have widened fenders all around. i ended up finding a set (4) of 8.5's for $425, but somewhat washed out when i could not find a good enough deal on the 7's i needed for the front. had to cough up $600 for those and sold the pair of 8.5's for around $300. you win some, you lose some. i got what i wanted in the long run though.

as i understand it 8.5's can fit with some grinding though. the benefits of not going staggered are obvious though. not only am i staggered, but i have directions too. at least i have one less thing to do in my life...rotate. :)

VW911
November 16th 2002, 23:59
It was on www.rennlist.com

If you want 7" all the way around chances are you will not find anyone selling some unless they came of a bug that someone bought out-right 4 new wheels. Or you can look at classified ads and sometimes people are selling just a pair of rims instead of a set. A lot of times on Pelican Parts you can find some people that can sell you 1, 2, 3, or 4 rims in any size or style you want (USED).

Look at alot of salvage yard sites. I have 2 favorite sites that I look at a lot. One is in my State and one is in a neighboring state. Most late model salvage yards will give you very good prices on used parts. On site Ifound over 8 Mazda RX-& oil coolers for under $50. If you know anything about these coolers they range from $400-$700 new.

It might seem like a pain in the A$$ but be persistant in your search and have your cash ready.

I have found a chromed set of Mazada Millinia (sp) 17's w/ tires for $500 plus shippng. It is all about finding the right deal_ or fork over the cash and buy four brand new rims of what you want (not a smart move when it comes to buying factory wheels from a dealer)

Pillow
November 17th 2002, 00:43
A lot is luck and patience.

A few weeks ago I won an e-bay auction for 4 16x6 924 Turbo Discs/flats for $75. Granted 125 with shipping, but the next set I saw FS went for like $300, so go figure.

If you are in Atlanta I can give you a name for a hook up at a nice tire shop (lots of take-offs) but it is all new crap... I like the old wheels. Granted Boxster 6"x16s would be cool.

The discs are for the '66 bus.

VW911
November 17th 2002, 00:48
Automobile Atlanta has rims galore but they are proud of their salvage parts.

On rennlist now is a set of Boxster 16's with tires for $500.oo