PDA

View Full Version : 944 to 73 Bay?

jc_geddes
November 18th 2002, 17:12
Is it possible to put 944 brakes onto a 1973 bay?

I was thinking that it would be possible to fit the rear suspension from an early or late 944 depending on track requirments, as a strat bolt on operation, and if not then it would be the same as doing an IRS conversion on a bug, ie repositioning the inner suspension pick up points.

At the front I was concidering on of two things, if it is easy to mod the hubs to use bus bearings then do that, if not then, use a lathe to cut out the stub axle from the bus spindle and do the same with the porsche part but make it a super tight interfearance fit, heat the bus part upand cool the porsche part with liquid nitrogen and press the two together. then I could v the rear, heat the two components and weld together. The heating should stop the casting from going even more, brittle.

Any comment? has any one done it before?

Cheers

John

Pillow
November 19th 2002, 14:03
Old Speed makes a front kit for the bays. Talk to Russell about it.

www.oldspeed.com

The rears are tougher. Try Dave Palmer at Creative Engineering somewhere in England. He is supposed to be making hubs and then drilling blank German drums for the Porsche pattern.

The stub axle is too big for a Porsche hub.

Paul Knight
November 20th 2002, 06:39
you're in luck
I just photographed a new kit paul miller at harry harpics vw & porsche engineering in southend, essex is doing for bay windows. 944 discs & calipers on modified '68 stub axles to fit all bay windows for £350 all in!!! This bargainous price is dependent on you supplying some exchange spindles but they must be the drum brake ball joint spindles from early bays as he modifies these with custom machined caliper brackets for the big 944 brakes. Even so, £350 is a bargain for a complete bolt-on kit with calipers, discs, spindles, bearings and all the required bearing spacers etc...
tell him Paul from VolksWorld sent you.. Harry Harpics 01702 391756

Pillow
November 20th 2002, 13:59
Very information Paul!

There has been a lot of demand for that kit and finally someone stepped up.

Take Care,

jc_geddes
November 20th 2002, 16:58
Cheers

For the info. I will have to give Paul a call at some piont.

But what about the rear end? is the above idea a goer??

I am a bus novice.

I plan on fitting a 4.6 rover V8 so need some brakes, when it goes in.

Cheers again

John