PDA

View Full Version : Should it stay or should it go !

Sandeep
January 24th 2006, 17:53
My wife and I just bought another vehicle .. a Volvo V70 Sport Wagon with the 247HP T5 turbo engine, geartronic gearbox, fully loaded :D

This wagon HAULS A$$, even with 2 booster seats in the back for the kids :eek:

So the dilemma is this: I am now driving the Accord, the wife drives the V70, and that leaves the beetle sitting in the garage on jackstands gathering dust.

I probably will not drive it this summer as there is no need to ... What to do, what to do ... :confused:

Sandeep

Racelook
January 24th 2006, 18:45
Make your bug ready..and kick that accord out :laugh:

Wiebrand

Or.. get the turbo of that Volvo and make some nice engine for your bug :D

jonas_linder
January 24th 2006, 19:36
the T5 is surely a nice engine ! :)

A local company autotech put them to the limit :D

But it's nowhere as fun as a turbobug will ever be! I can promise you that!

Supa Ninja
January 24th 2006, 20:41
Here is what will happen: you'll sell the beetle, then every morning you'll wake up regretting selling it, and you will miss it a great deal.

Sandeep
January 25th 2006, 11:06
After the Boxer AG meet last night, I have made up my mind.

I'll finish the turbo engine this winter and have it ready to sell as soon as the roads are clear enough to drive.

In case you are wondering .... Bryan brought by his 911 SC to the meet ...

Sandeep

jonas_linder
January 25th 2006, 11:46
After the Boxer AG meet last night, I have made up my mind.

I'll finish the turbo engine this winter and have it ready to sell as soon as the roads are clear enough to drive.

In case you are wondering .... Bryan brought by his 911 SC to the meet ...

Sandeep

We will see how you feel about it when you have finished and drove your turbo bug ;)

Racelook
January 25th 2006, 12:27
You get regrets

CLKWRK
January 27th 2006, 00:03
Sandeep,

Yeah the SC is stylish and comfy, my wife likes the ac and power stuff too, but my turbo ghia destroys it in brute acceleration and wtf?! factor. I want to keep them both but im not rich :bawling:

I am sure you will think twice once you drive your own turbo bug, but if you still wanna sell it, I got my eye on some of your parts :laugh:
Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

Bryan

Sandeep
January 27th 2006, 15:08
With your CIS setup, you could always turbo that ... :D

Sandeep

CLKWRK
January 27th 2006, 15:18
Sandeep,

True, but why not buy a real 930, at least it would hold its value over time, plus theres more than just a turbo that make a 930 special. It almost a shame to take a perfectly good 911 and mess with it, now if it were a basket case, then I would be right in there with my sawsall welding on flares and turbo-ing the thing.

Bry

petevw
January 27th 2006, 20:13
Sandeep,

True, but why not buy a real 930, at least it would hold its value over time, plus theres more than just a turbo that make a 930 special. It almost a shame to take a perfectly good 911 and mess with it, now if it were a basket case, then I would be right in there with my sawsall welding on flares and turbo-ing the thing.

Bry

Well said, i'd keep it as is, maybe a set of rims. That's it. Play with the Ghia.

If i were to buy one, it would be a '79 930. :D Almost did, bought the '52 split instead. Was a really hard decision.

Sandeep get the bug done, drive it, then make the decision.

CLKWRK
January 27th 2006, 23:30
Pete,

1987 black on black 930 with fikse FM/10 wheels is my choice, that was the first year for the G50 tranny.
That is one serious car, you cant just go out and buy one and expect to know how to drive it either, you gotta work your way up to it, with an SC maybe ;)

http://www.fikse.com/fm10.html

Bry

zen
January 28th 2006, 11:04
so i take it this is really about keeping the bug vs. going p-car. always a hard decision. if finances are an issue, just remember that aquiring the p-car is not the real cost. you will get eaten alive in parts costs (repair or mod), but you know that considering what you have on your bug.

no good call here. i have had several of both and like them for the many different reasons. the 914 is the only happy middle ground, but then you loose the jump seats (if that is important).

i hate to see anyone fall out of the GL community, but p-cars are always tempting. ditch the Accord and go p-car there.

oasis
January 28th 2006, 15:15
if finances are an issue, just remember that aquiring the p-car is not the real cost. you will get eaten alive in parts costs (repair or mod), ...

. . . and insurance. I would pay more for insurance for a Porsche -- even on a 914 -- than I would for my Super if all aspects were the same including replacement cost. Canada may be different; I don't presume to know details like that.

CLKWRK
January 29th 2006, 14:42
Hi,

Yeah Sandeep ditch the Honda, get a 911 grocery getter. Theres room for a child seat in the back if that makes a difference ;)

My experience with Canadian insurance companies is that they refuse to insure older cars. Classic cars can get classic car insurance, which is based on appraised value, but this option is reserved for those people with squeaky clean driving records.

If your driving record is less than stellar, there is "facility" wich is a goverment run insurance and is very expensive regardless of what you drive.
In other words, insuring a 20 year old unmodified Porsche does not cost that much more than insuring a 30 year old unmodified Volkswagen in Canada.

Bry

Sandeep
January 30th 2006, 12:48
Lots of suggestions and points of view here. Thanks for that.

I will be keeping the Accord (97 EXR, loaded, VTEC engine) as it is in awesome shape and has never let me down. It will be my primary daily driver as it is driven all year around.

I will finish putting the turbo / MS on the T4 engine, just need to start wiring up the MS and finish the crank trigger.

My main reason for going with an SC is because I can take it to an auto-cross as well as the race track, and not have to worry about illegal mods for this class or that class as I would have with the beetle. I would compete with other Porsches in an unmodified class.

There is a dedicated PCA club in Toronto so this could happen.

I've tried to get involved with SoloOntario but my bug is modified so much that I would be placed in a class where winning would be unrealistic. :(

Sandeep