PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance for the Beetle

Sandeep
February 7th 2006, 12:01
Does anyone have any experience with Lant & Co. Insurance Brokers Ltd (http://www.lant-ins.ca/index.html) ?

I'm looking to insure the Beetle as a modified/classic car for the summer and need some leads. Car will only be driven to shows and meetings.

Alan ?

Thanks

Sandeep

vujade
February 7th 2006, 13:46
I have haggerty's insurance.
2500 mileage limitation but they do not check.
you have to garage keep it and you also have
to have another registered vehicle with regular insurance...

Click (http://www.hagerty.com/)

petevw
February 7th 2006, 19:00
I've got mine insured with State Farm. Insured for the appraised value, nothing fancy.

oasis
February 8th 2006, 10:35
I've got mine insured with State Farm. Insured for the appraised value, nothing fancy.
Me, too. I didn't chime in initially with Sandeep's post because he is from Canada and I wasn't sure if circumstances would be different. Seeing that petevw is also from Canada got me going.

I tend to view insurance as being nothing more than a necessary evil but I must admit State Farm has been professional and fair since I switched to them (actually, joining my wife who has been with them since at least I have known her) years ago.

vujade
February 8th 2006, 10:50
I have statefarm for my regular non vw vehicle and they have been
great...

Superbug Scott
February 8th 2006, 13:41
I have State Farm as well, but I've been meaning to talk with them about the replacement value of my VW. About 2 years ago somebody rearended me and even though the damage was light, I had fight the other persons insurance company to not declare the car totaled because the repairs were near the total value of the car.

How much do I get if my car is missing one day or totaled :bawling: , blue book value? What is that on an upgraded car like most of us have?

oasis
February 8th 2006, 16:06
I didn't realize older cars like our air-cooled had Blue Book values -- Make note to self ...

Dealing with opposing insurance companies are especially no fun. When I had my 1981 (Rabbit-based) Pickup (a.k.a. Caddy), I T-boned Grandma Moses after she inexplicably pulled out from a stop sign into traffic and in front of me. Her company wanted to give me $680 as the total loss for my car.

I argued I paid $3,000 for it, registered it at the DMV for same amount (rather than cutting corners and saving a few dimes), and insured it for the same amount with my insurance company complete with photos. They were still snotty with me until I said I would refuse any check they sent and I would lump all of my claims against them into one once I got my doctor bills sorted.

Ooooo ... doctor bills, eh? All of a sudden they were throwing more money at me than what I really wanted. Daft punters.

Sandeep
February 8th 2006, 16:11
Superbug Scott .... exactly ... my insurance company will pay out $500 if my car gets hit ... no more no less !

I have cancelled the insurance and am looking at going with Lant & Co. I need an appraisal on the beetle, and I have to have insurance on a daily driver with another insurance company. No problems here but I think with Lant, you and them agree on a value and you pay insurance based on that appraised value.

I would think that is the way to go, considering that in an accident, our aircooleds would be pretty much a write off.

Sandeep

ajracer
February 8th 2006, 22:02
Sandeep:

From my experience as an insurance broker the "program" type policy
provided by Lant & Co, Zehr Ins and others are the way to go as long as
your qualify. Yes most require an appraisal (also to your benefit) in order
to substantiate the value on the vehicle for their underwriters, ALSO very
important that you have them ADD a #19A endorsement which states that
in the event of major damages or write-off or theft THEY WILL PAY you the
amount stated within the 19A endorsement. (no trying to back out or lower
the amount of your actual claim)

One other thing is to make sure you abide by the limitations on the useage
of the vehicle (ie. not a daily driver to and from work or work, but "mainly"
for car shows, cruising, etc.) In order words when I insure my Porsche V-8
and travel to Halifax to visit I will make sure I also "happen" to register and
attend one or two East Coast Auto shows during the trip ! If you get my
message. I do not believe our Canadian Custom/Classic/Modified programs
have any mileage limitations like some of the USA Insurance programs.

Trust this helps you out in your decision. Your friend

Allan

PS Glad to hear you are at least planning to keep and drive the beast for
the summer; and hopefully you decide not to sell out

CLKWRK
February 9th 2006, 15:02
Hello,

They have the silver wheels program and custom wheels program, i have my Ghia on custom and my SC on Silver.

You do have to be carful to abide by the driving limitations, driving to shows, or the shop to get work done to it is fine, even on a sunny weekend for a picnic with the family id say is ok.

You are insured on the appraised value of your car, not on what they think the average 25 year old bug is worth. The rates are reasonable too..... if you qualify.

Bryan

petevw
February 10th 2006, 01:48
Hello,
They have the silver wheels program and custom wheels program, i have my Ghia on custom and my SC on Silver.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is the Ghia insured for? How much does it cost you a year?

CLKWRK
February 10th 2006, 12:54
Hi Pete,

The Ghia is apraised at $30,000, i pay $600.00 a year, and the SC at $20,000 and I pay $202.00 a year. It costs me $802.00 for both yearly.

Bry

petevw
February 10th 2006, 21:10
Guess i'm paying too much. I'll shop around in June. My super is insured for $20K, i'm paying close to $800/yr.

Sandeep
February 11th 2006, 00:01
I'm paying about $900 per year ... and I get $500.00 if the Bug gets totaled :confused:

Looks like I'll go with Lant as soon as the car is ready for the road.

Sandeep