View Full Version : The German Look Begins!

vujade
November 19th 2002, 20:46
I just ordered my Maxx Struts w/Boge Gas shocks, 7/8 Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, Urethane Bushings, Wheel Spacers, Studs & Lug Nuts from TopLine. John was really helpful. Great Customer Service!

All of it should be here by next Tuesday or Wednesday, just in time for my wheels which are arriving next Wednesday.

As far as brakes go, I will be having my stock drums redrilled by a local machine shop for the Porsche 5 x 130 pattern. I couldnt see paying for new drums in the Porsche pattern when I plan on going disc brakes all around after the new year sometime.

I am thinking of the Kerscher Kit up front & 944 turbo brakes in the rear.

Supa Ninja
November 20th 2002, 13:47
Your going to love your front suspension setup, thats what I'm running and let me just say I went head to head with an Acura on some back roads where I live, I was so far ahead that I shut down my engine a couple of times to let it catch up.

vujade
November 20th 2002, 14:03
Supa

that is awesome! I cant wait to beat up on some rice!
Bu i guess that wont happen until I get my type 4 next year.
O well, at least I will be able to out handle them for now. :)

Supa,

How easy was installation of everything?
Just wondering if I will need a professional shop for any part of the install other then the drum redrilling?

thanks
Joe

Supa Ninja
November 20th 2002, 14:37
Joe,
The kit comes with a ten page instruction manual, with step by step walk through. The only difficult part is removing your old bearing cup, which involves dissambaly of your old struts, but if you get a decent coil compressor it won't be a problem. Just be very careful that the coil doesn't slip out of the compressor, it will have enough force that if it hits you, someone will be contacting your next of kin. Other than that the installation is a piece of cake.
I took the Acura with a high milage 1641cc, right now my Supa has more chassis than engine, but it is still a whole lot of fun.

Nick

vujade
November 20th 2002, 14:47
Thats excellent that they give all those instructions, very nice!
Maybe I will take the old strut to my local VW Mechanic to remove the old bearing cup. I dont want to die before this car is done LOL

Not bad with the 1641 & all. I will be running a 1600DP with 009, pertronix ignitor, 4 into 1 header & dual kadrons for now until I go Type 4. :)

Pillow
November 20th 2002, 15:12
Nah, compressing the springs is easy if you get the right tool. Just be careful and take your time. Even if one "arm" slips the other will hold it... If both fail then something is going flying!

NYBugman1972
November 22nd 2002, 09:56
A word of warning...

I bought spring compressors but the "hooks" were too thick/big to fit in between the tight coils of the MaXX's. I had to modify the compressor. Im trying to remember exactly what I did. As soon as I remember, i'll post up.

vujade
November 22nd 2002, 10:46
let me know...thanks

zen
November 22nd 2002, 17:59
yet another thing you can check with no_h20 on. he borrowed a compressor from autozone and had the same problem as mike. i was down there that weekend, but we just returned it. he solved it a couple of days later, but i don't remember how.

Supa Ninja
November 22nd 2002, 18:22
The commpressor that I used for my Maxx struts is just a long piece of all thread with some pieces of metal shaped like hooks welded onto nuts. Very primitive yet effective. I guess you could grind the hooks down a little. I hope this helps a little. Joe keep us posted maybe do a tech article to help the newbie Super owners.

Nick

vujade
November 22nd 2002, 18:38
My Reply (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=731)